Best lighting for plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
TetraChelle
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Best lighting for plants

I have a 56g tall angelfish tank that has quite a few plants in it. It has Java Fern, Jungle Val, a bunch of Anacharis, a few mystery plants and some water sprite. I was wanting to get some other people's opinions on what's the best lighting to help with plant growth in a deep tank? All my plants are really big actually but my Java Fern and my Jungle Val are not doing so well. I am dosing them with Flourish Excel to help along with Flourish Iron and I have the comprehensive but I haven't used it yet. I know that Jungle Val is a very delicate plant but I was hoping I could get some input on what kind of lighting to use. Right now I believe I'm running a T5 LED day/night light strip but I'm not sure if that's enough to penetrate through all that water. Any suggestions?
TetraChelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
seanski21
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

for the vals it's important to have some nutrients in the substrate. I would suggest some osmocote plus tabs if you're not already doing that. as for the lighting we need more info. What brand of light, how many bulbs and how far is the light off the substrate. If you don't know the brand post some pics.
seanski21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

How tall is the tank? LEDs and MH penetrate water very well (much better than PC, T5, and T5HO). You have to take in consideration the PAR and spectrum though.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Best lighting for plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
How tall is the tank? LEDs and MH penetrate water very well (much better than PC, T5, and T5HO). You have to take in consideration the PAR and spectrum though.

+1 to that
Personally I like T5 with LED.
You get the best of both worlds. You might have to make adjustments To the length of your photoperiod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
eaunaturale
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Vallisneria sp. will virtually grow in the dark. The secret to success with vals is a rich substrate. I have had them thrive in a Walstad style dirt tank with nothing but (very) indirect sunlight from a north-facing window, but I'm sure they well do just as well with root tabs and your current lighting.

It is also worth nothing both vals and java fern appreciate hard water with high carbonate levels.
eaunaturale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.