Crinum calamistratum and Algea
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Crinum calamistratum and Algea

Well I've been loooking for one of these for a while and finely found one but the LFS has the worst case of Black / blue bushy algea in all the tanks and the plant is totaly covered in it can I kill the algea and not the plant. I thought about buyng it and cutting all the lea ves of and pealing off the dead outer skin and leting it grow back but for $19 that a big loss if it don't come back. What do you guys think should I just pass?

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
dski13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If it is in that bad of shape ask for a discount. I purchased a discounted C. calamistratum from a member on this forum because it was previously covered in algae. He sent it to me with most of the leaves cut off. It is slow to recover but it is recovering. When I first planted it all the roots rotted off (be very gentle with the roots) and I thought I killed it but it has been floating at the surface for a month now and just started to re-grow roots. I am going to try to re-plant it this week.
dski13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

hydrogen peroxide! i put some in a small spray bottle (like for your hair not a pump kind) and spray it under the water. you can also spray it out of the water let it sit for a min and then rinse and back in the tank. algae will turn redish and is dead. might take a couple times but this works on all kinds of stuff. just be carefull and not over do it. it helps if you can spray out side of the tank and then rinse cause you can wash off extra that might harm the plant and fish. but yeah ive done it to several kinds of plants and several kinds of aglae including black beard algae and hair algae/clado
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'll see if he'll come down if not I'll pass. I don't need anymore work.,

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.