Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 16? - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #76
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
In my experience with this kind of atomizers, they are very quiet when they operate properly. But they begin to hiss (or even whistle quite noticeably) when the seal around the "airstone" fails and the gas begins to blow-by between the plastic casing and the "airstone". This also produces large bubbles, for obvious reasons.

So, are you sure you have no blow-by issues with your atomizer? Both the hissing and the fact that bubbles don't dissolve fully might be an indication of such a failure.

Good point - there should be almost no bubbles when you first set it up. If you see large ones, then they are bypassing the diffuser stone.

From my experience, the bubbles gradually start to appear and get larger over time as the diffuser gets dirty. When the bubbles become visibly large, I swap the diffuser when I service the filter. I have two so it's an easy swap process. The clean one then sits till it needs to be swapped back again. This happens every 3-4 months, FWIW.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #77
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
Good point - there should be almost no bubbles when you first set it up. If you see large ones, then they are bypassing the diffuser stone.

From my experience, the bubbles gradually start to appear and get larger over time as the diffuser gets dirty. When the bubbles become visibly large, I swap the diffuser when I service the filter. I have two so it's an easy swap process. The clean one then sits till it needs to be swapped back again. This happens every 3-4 months, FWIW.
That is why I bought 2 of them
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #78
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

On that note, what is the best way to clean these? I cleaned mine using bleach but only soaked for 2 hours. It's hard to do overnight and keep the filter running unless I add some sort of connector. I may buy another one in the future, just wondering if bleach is the way to go. Some people say it's not ceramic and bleach isn't the best way, I also don't want to harm the plastic in the long run.

Mine may be fine, I know the bubbles are smaller than they were but it's hard to tell because I didn't have clear pipes before, plus it's now horizontal (only way I can make it fit) so the bubbles may be combining. Diffusion is fine but wondering if it could be better. Setup like over a year ago but switched up many things including tank size so can't go off bubble rate. I have a feeling it's slightly higher than it was on my 29 gallon, on my 20 long.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #79
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
On that note, what is the best way to clean these? I cleaned mine using bleach but only soaked for 2 hours. It's hard to do overnight and keep the filter running unless I add some sort of connector. I may buy another one in the future, just wondering if bleach is the way to go. Some people say it's not ceramic and bleach isn't the best way, I also don't want to harm the plastic in the long run.

Mine may be fine, I know the bubbles are smaller than they were but it's hard to tell because I didn't have clear pipes before, plus it's now horizontal (only way I can make it fit) so the bubbles may be combining. Diffusion is fine but wondering if it could be better. Setup like over a year ago but switched up many things including tank size so can't go off bubble rate. I have a feeling it's slightly higher than it was on my 29 gallon, on my 20 long.
I tried the GLA cleaner but it wasn't strong enough so I used H202 (Peroxide) and then bleach. The peroxide worked but the bleach really did the job.

It takes longer than two hours - I did it overnight.

EDIT: Try the peroixide - it's a lot less caustic than bleach. If you need to use bleach, remember to soak the diffuser in a cup of water with a capful of Prime or dechlorinator to remove all traces of bleach, once it's cleaned up

If you don't buy two you may need to hook up the filter for a day and then replace it. The expense of buying another is really worth the time and effort
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #80
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
I tried the GLA cleaner but it wasn't strong enough so I used H202 (Peroxide) and then bleach. The peroxide worked but the bleach really did the job.

It takes longer than two hours - I did it overnight.

EDIT: Try the peroixide - it's a lot less caustic than bleach. If you need to use bleach, remember to soak the diffuser in a cup of water with a capful of Prime or dechlorinator to remove all traces of bleach, once it's cleaned up

If you don't buy two you may need to hook up the filter for a day and then replace it. The expense of buying another is really worth the time and effort
Thanks, I have had all sorts of diffusers and always used bleach but it's a lot easier to soak and especially dechlorinate over a period of time when it doesn't involve your filter.

On that note, I found I had a leak at my check valve. I had a small amount of silicone airline tubing I never replaced which worked fine on my glass diffuser but leaked. Bubbles are much smaller now, had a feeling because my CO2 only lasted a few months but I just had to downgrade to 5lber for a 20lb so I wasn't sure. Really glad I caught it.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #81
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

What ratio are you using when you use H2O2 and bleach?

Last time I cleaned mine I did 100% peroxide overnight. It seems to have worked.
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.