57 rimless t5ho or LED?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Brich999
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

57 rimless t5ho or LED?

Ok I'm getting away from monster fish and getting into planted tanks more. I'm planning and ordering parts to setup a 57 rimless 36x18x20 and going for a low light blackwater look with lots of driftwood and lots of anubias, java ferns, and maybe mosses. Most will be attached to the driftwood so a bit off the substrate to near the waters surface.

Which light would you recommend? I'm looking at either kessil a150w amazon sun, or a 24" t5 2x24 or 4x24w from Catalina aquarium. I'm going to hang the light and would like some darker areas. The 4 bulb t5 I think will be a bit more bright but I can run 2 of the bulbs for a couple hrs a day. The kessil is obviously great for it's own reasons, and down the road I think adding one would be easy if I want to keep more plants.

Thanks and I hope my first build on here is noteworthy

Ps was planning on doing pressurized co2 at very low dosage, is this a waste of money with the plants I'm planning?
Brich999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Brich999
Algae Grower

100 views and no input?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

we've used the kessils on that same sized tank, we had to use 2 to get enough coverage, but then again, the lights were fairly low because we wanted it to be higher light. I suppose if you hung the kessil up higher it would work but there'd be a lot of light spill.

of course, catalina makes great lights too and you can't go wrong. I would get a 4 bulb fixture and get your own bulbs, check out tom barr's dutch tank thread for bulb ideas
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
huhu89151734
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to huhu89151734
Default 57 rimless t5ho or LED?

I think you need 2 of the amazon sun to grow stuff. I saw the light in person at my LFS, they used 3 of them on a 120 and still get a lot of shade area. A Catalina T5 HO will require you have a co2 system. But you will lose the shade areas. So if you want to go with co2, consider a 70w or 150w HQI lighting system from Fish Need It.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Brich999
Algae Grower

Thanks on the info on the kessil, I'm not worried about light spill as it is in a nook with walls on 3 sides, but it is relatively close to my tv so I'm worried about the lit spill angle and if it will be a huge distraction. I'd say eye level is 1 foot below where the bottom of the light is, worst case scenario I think I will be able to angle it a bit toward the back using the gooseneck. I'm surprised by the amount of light output from these, the only large LEDs I've ever used were 10w floodlights and I'd run 2 or 4 on my 8'x4'x2 500g and it was pretty well lit, but never tried any demanding plants just swords and ferns.

I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going to go when I think about bulb replacement and stuff, t5 just doesn't make sence to me and halides will keep my little fishes in hiding all day.