Inline diffuser/reactor for an Eheim 2217
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Inline diffuser/reactor for an Eheim 2217

Yah, I've decided that doing something inline is better. Thing is, what's a good thing I can buy? I'm not about to make a reactor for myself since I don't trust myself to do it nor do I have the time to make a thing, but I'm all for buying something.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Aqua medic 1000 is a great reactor but pricy. Not too up on the inline diffusers but seem risky to me.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I recommend the gla inline diffuser depending on your co2 output pressure.
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Pretty sure you can make a cerges style reactor with almost zero DIY. Get a filter housing and barbed fittings and you're good to go.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=110100
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
I recommend the gla inline diffuser depending on your co2 output pressure.
I run like, 38 psi. And which size would I get for an Eheim 2217?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Reactors are pretty fool proof to make, even though I haven't made one, you are using materials rated for much more pressure than you would ever put through them, using materials that see far more abuse for their regular use. They are also really easy to make and all the special tools you need are pretty cheap. Not encouraging you to make one but just stating it shouldn't be too much of a challenge, even for the not so mechanically inclined.

Most the off the shelf ones are the same as what you would make, more or less so you are just spending extra money on not making one. There are two designs, the "Rex Grigg" and the "Cerges" style. I have only heard bad things about one inline and I forget which it is (Maybe the ISTA one, not sure). I know it's one of the super cheap ones, I believe the plastic is thin and can break.

The main downside of a reactor is the size of it. For me, I couldn't fit one under my stand without compromising a lot of room and having an odd plumbing situation. If I add another canister, I will go with a reactor but I just can't fit one right now without some crazy looping going on.

As for diffusers, you either have a inline ceramic one that has a glass housing, or an atomic style one that is plastic, and requires adjustable working pressure. The inline glass ones are similar to a glass intake diffuser, just inline. The downside is that they are expensive and fragile. The atomic style are much cheaper but require a higher working pressure. I haven't seen cases of these breaking on their own but I have my own concerns with mine, the plastic is not thick and between the high working pressure seemingly lower quality, I will likely begin replacing mine every few years.

I know I am not giving a specific recommendation because they all have their pro's and con's. I would go with a Cerges style reactor if space wasn't an issue. You can DIY it really easily, or their are some for purchase with the same style and fittings so you can replace them if something breaks. If you want a diffuser or need the space, that's a bit tougher because the glass ones are up to 4-5x more expensive than the plastic atomic ones and though they likely last longer, they are far easier to break yourself, but likely more durable in operation. I would just go with 2 atomic style from GLA and have the ability to swap one out when cleaning for less money.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Reactors are pretty fool proof to make, even though I haven't made one, you are using materials rated for much more pressure than you would ever put through them, using materials that see far more abuse for their regular use. They are also really easy to make and all the special tools you need are pretty cheap. Not encouraging you to make one but just stating it shouldn't be too much of a challenge, even for the not so mechanically inclined.

Most the off the shelf ones are the same as what you would make, more or less so you are just spending extra money on not making one. There are two designs, the "Rex Grigg" and the "Cerges" style. I have only heard bad things about one inline and I forget which it is (Maybe the ISTA one, not sure). I know it's one of the super cheap ones, I believe the plastic is thin and can break.

The main downside of a reactor is the size of it. For me, I couldn't fit one under my stand without compromising a lot of room and having an odd plumbing situation. If I add another canister, I will go with a reactor but I just can't fit one right now without some crazy looping going on.

As for diffusers, you either have a inline ceramic one that has a glass housing, or an atomic style one that is plastic, and requires adjustable working pressure. The inline glass ones are similar to a glass intake diffuser, just inline. The downside is that they are expensive and fragile. The atomic style are much cheaper but require a higher working pressure. I haven't seen cases of these breaking on their own but I have my own concerns with mine, the plastic is not thick and between the high working pressure seemingly lower quality, I will likely begin replacing mine every few years.

I know I am not giving a specific recommendation because they all have their pro's and con's. I would go with a Cerges style reactor if space wasn't an issue. You can DIY it really easily, or their are some for purchase with the same style and fittings so you can replace them if something breaks. If you want a diffuser or need the space, that's a bit tougher because the glass ones are up to 4-5x more expensive than the plastic atomic ones and though they likely last longer, they are far easier to break yourself, but likely more durable in operation. I would just go with 2 atomic style from GLA and have the ability to swap one out when cleaning for less money.
insight full response. Yah, space is a bit of an issue and I don't want to build a thing due to time constraints.

I'll probably stick with an inline GLA, then see where that takes me.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
insight full response. Yah, space is a bit of an issue and I don't want to build a thing due to time constraints.

I'll probably stick with an inline GLA, then see where that takes me.
Just make sure you have a regulator with adjustable working pressure. They recommend 30 psi, I run mine at 40. Also, make sure you use quality CO2 tubing as well as the higher pressure can make cheap airline hoses pop off. If you regulator was assembled properly you are good but some people who DIY'd there regs found they started to get leaks, including myself, when jumping up 30 psi. Easily corrected but if you don't catch any of these, you are in for a quick refill. I love mine though and haven't had issues in over a year.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Default Inline diffuser/reactor for an Eheim 2217

I run my reg at like 40 as it is lol
So I should be fine :P
Old 03-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Also, be advised, with an inline diffuser your tank will look like a glass of 7up. Some people don't mind, I find it extremely annoying. Good luck with whatever you decide.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Also, be advised, with an inline diffuser your tank will look like a glass of 7up. Some people don't mind, I find it extremely annoying. Good luck with whatever you decide.
wait, what does that mean exactly?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
wait, what does that mean exactly?
Bubbles in the tank. For me, I don't really get it that bad after I switched to lily pipes but I did with a spray bar.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, tbh idc about bubbles in the tank. I kinda like them actually.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.