Water change schedules for cardinas - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

View Poll Results: Water Changes (choose closest) - How often and how much?
Once a week @ 10% 10 21.28%
Once a week @ 20% 13 27.66%
Once a week @ 30% 4 8.51%
Once every 2 weeks @ 10% 2 4.26%
Once every 2 weeks @ 20% 4 8.51%
Once every 2 weeks @ 30% 2 4.26%
Once every 3 weeks @ 10% 0 0%
Once every 3 weeks @ 20% 1 2.13%
Once every 3 weeks @ 30% 1 2.13%
Once every 4 weeks @ 10% 4 8.51%
Once every 4 weeks @ 20% 2 4.26%
Once every 4 weeks @ 30% 1 2.13%
No water change. Only top offs 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #31
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (47/100%)

wrangler,

Excellent point. If the WC is done so that TDS changes 5-10ppm only, then stability is certainly kept, however, it kind of defeats the purpose of a WC right? And it appears from my other thread that I just posted that frequent WC might leave your shrimps prone to bacteria infection. It is hard to come up with a for sure answer without trial and error it seems like for each individual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #32
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Sorry meant to include that I have a seriyu stone driving my parameters. Meant to include that last night but was sleepy. I also thinking having fresh water put in helps keep bacterial infections away, just my theory. As stated before everyone's tank and shrimp are different. I tried doing less water changes and lost the only 2 oebt that I have lost in the past 3 months. I have a full hc carpet and lots of riccia floating to absorb stuff. It just seems like my tigers like a lot of water changes not totally sure why. When I set up my tb tank I will use a ugf with Africana that I am hoping I can do less w/c on bit I will see how the shrimps react. Like I said before I base it off activity, molting, breeding, and deaths.

I know I have seen a ton of big breeders use a constant water change system. Pretty sure even dk uses something like that. It may only be 2% a day but why bother setting that up if there isn't a benefit.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #33
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

Forumsnow,

I actually experienced the opposite. Before when I had OEBT they did much better without water changes than with. I would not do a single WC for months, only top offs and they did fine. Even berried. As soon as I did, they began to die. Needless to say, a bacterial infection got to them over the summer so it wiped out my entire colony except for one. That one is still alive living with my PFR which never gets a WC.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #34
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)
Default Water change schedules for cardinas

My experience with oebt's was I didn't change the water and mine slowly died off while the crystals have flourished in the same water/tank. For me the culprit was my FSS lowering my ph to low to mid 5's which oebt's do not like but my crystals love. If I would have had an inert substrate that didn't lower my ph along with not using cholla wood and Indian almond leaves my oebt's would have happy as clams. In this case the water changes were needed to counter act the effects of ph that is lowered over time. The risk of doing the wt was I was creating an unstable environment by constantly fluctuating ph..... A catch 22 if you ask me. It would have been far better to eliminate the items causing the ph to fluctuate than to constantly be messing with their environment again jmho
wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

so many people put alot of concern on TDS. i dont think its as huge a factor as some thing. i have had shrimp for a good 4 yrs now and only found out my tds in the last month and a half. all i really ever knew wast gh,kh, and ph. and i did just fine with only knowing those. well i knew temp to from time to time when i would stick a thermometer in the tanks. and i kept crs and oebt that way
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #36
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

TDS is just as important as PH GH KH, all cause mass stress if they go up a good amount in swings or down. Higher TDS in many cases reflects KH and GH levels. All important as temp too. Some gods that keep shrimp (Nick) dont test KH GH and done test PH much but do check TDS a bunch.... I would not be doing as well as I am now with a thriving shrimp se;ection if it were not from listen to people on here in the likes of nick jimko guppies and many others. I say check them all. I have PH meters for everythank I have, I have tds pens for every different type of shrimp I keep and I have 3 different GH and KH test kits. I with they mad cheaper KH and GH digital devices I would buy one fore each too!
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #37
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Just saying what works for me, pretty darn well at that I would say. I'm just sharing my experience not saying its how everyone should do it. Even though it seems everyone wants to say I am wrong. All of my females are berried and 2 have been for 31 days now, I'd say that's happy. No one way is right and I think people need to understand that and stop telling people what they are doing is wrong, especially when they don't have first hand experience. Every tank/shrimp/keeper is different and people need to remember that.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #38
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i dont really do many water changes either. key for me is stability. since im using tap (yes tap water for crs and tigers) its easier to make things unstable by doing water changes especially since i do large ones. i also dont test unless i see something off with the shrimp be it color or not being as active. reason being is if i test the water and it does not come up the same readings as the "norm" for a specific shrimp i start obsessing and that is when i tend to mess things up. for me its "if its not broke dont fix it" hehe and that is what works for me lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #39
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)

No idea how much any particular fish needs its water changed.
My tanks are heavily planted, I do 50% W/Cs anywhere from 1x a week to 1x a month. Really depends on if I remember to do it or have time. No critters have complained about it yet. =D
I have well water, so I don't add any chemicals at all. Use the kitchen faucet and match the temps.
secuono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #40
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wonder,

If ammonia/nitrate/nitrate climbs, will TDS differ?

Tags
shrimp behavior, shrimp breeding, shrimp care, water change, water changes