HOB overflow and sump
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

HOB overflow and sump

I am setting up a Mr. Aqua 12G long rimless tank and am considering using a 20H as a sump, i was thinking i could use a hang on back overflow. My question is this:
is there any brand of overflow you'd recommend? what flow rate should i be expecting/wanting for a tank this size? what type of return pump will i need to pair it with?

the other alternative is hooking the spare Eheim 2217 i have up to the tank. would this be a better option?
Thanks!
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

Eshoppes nano prefilter would work well.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Eshoppes nano prefilter would work well.
thanks tom, that was actually one of the ones i was considering. i'm really debating whether i want to do a sump or not, the extra volume of water would do wonders for water conditions and stability, plus water changes would be much simpler. I am just wondering whether it is really worth it, and what i return pump i should use.

I'm wondering if i wouldnt be able to use the 2217 as the return, i have a feeling it would be very difficult to dial in the flow with that though.

another question: is it possible to DIY a reliable overflow?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post

I'm wondering if i wouldnt be able to use the 2217 as the return, i have a feeling it would be very difficult to dial in the flow with that though.

another question: is it possible to DIY a reliable overflow?
as long as the overflow can handle more than the max ghp of the canister it should work. I don't know if that canister has a stopper in case of power outage, a couple of mine do, one does not for certain.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
as long as the overflow can handle more than the max ghp of the canister it should work. I don't know if that canister has a stopper in case of power outage, a couple of mine do, one does not for certain.
i do not believe it does.

my main worry is still flooding the tank! I may order a HOB overflow rated for atleast 200gph and see how it works with the 2217 as the return.

Next question:
any advice for sump layout/design? should i be lazy and just have it be an extra volume of water with nothing but filter floss and maybe some floaters? or go the full 9?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

for anyone else who may be interested i found these links:
http://www.podzilla.us/aquascapeDS/o.../overflow.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=130787
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Lifereef overflow are the best for hang on overflow types. They never fail because the tube design always allows a reservoir of water even when power fails.

If you send Jeff an email or give him a call he can answer all your questions and recommend what would work best, great customer service, he can even make your nano box fit flush with the rimless glass thickness.

I also like that he explains why his design is better than the others in great detail and customer experience over 20 years worth.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
ehorn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

+1 for lifereef...

Only downside is they are pricey and the siphon tubes are fragile...
ehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Tom just posted a link to a 'Mame' DIY overflow on the Barr report. Elegant design but I am wary of any HOB overflow if I cannot see whether there is a bubble forming on the utube part! Maybe use some clear PVC there?

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...w-instructions

My sump is an ancient acrylic tank so my excuse is it would difficult to attach dividers to the curved sides of the tank. I just put in some Poret sponges as bio filters and put a prefilter sponge on the standpipe in the overflow box. Works great and critters that end up in the sump are just fine until I fish them out. Had a black neon fry appear and grow up in the drain part of the sump.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I have no idea about the sump but I plan to run one on a future tank as so many people seem to have success. Seeing how you only have 12 gallons but so much room, I would personally want to be able to stock it more and adding 20 extra gallons seems like a plus. I know my response isn't helpful but I would seriously consider a sump (and I am on my next tank) in general, especially for what is essentially a gigantic nano.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I have no idea about the sump but I plan to run one on a future tank as so many people seem to have success. Seeing how you only have 12 gallons but so much room, I would personally want to be able to stock it more and adding 20 extra gallons seems like a plus. I know my response isn't helpful but I would seriously consider a sump (and I am on my next tank) in general, especially for what is essentially a gigantic nano.
Yep, especially since I'm keeping stock as sensitive as TB's, the extra volume of water will help keep things stable and clean!

Tags
eheim, overflow, pump, sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.