Eheim Impeller advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
fishypaul

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eheim Impeller advice

Hi Guys and Girls, Ive been a long term reader of this forum but first time poster. I bought two Eheim pumps on ebay which were marked as hardly used but turned out that they were very used and unfortunately abused. There was an Eheim 1260 and Eheim 1060 (between a 1250 and 1260).

So the 1260 you can see has serious damage to the impeller and unfortunately the walls of the pump itself also show this damage (sand or whatever got into it). Now my question is, are these expensive paper weights or can I repair the inside shaft and get a new impeller? I seen a few posts where one guy said about a "filling epoxy" or super glue (not a fan of super glue idea) and then file it with an emery board or wet/dry sand paper around a pencil but the post had no links or info about how to do it. I also have a dremel tool with attachements so can use that but I can not find any actual information about how to do this. I've tried searching this forum and google but can't find any actual info on what to do and how to do it. So has anyone got any links that would help me, or has anyone actually done this repair themselves.

The second picture is the 1060 impeller, which I guess is just showing signs of serious age, the discoloration and the white bits in the photo are slightly raised, but thankfully the inside of the pump doesn't show any signs of damage. So do you think this will be fine to leave as it is or should I also replace this impeller?

Also finally there is a small rattling noise in the 1260 when its off and i shake it a bit, like there's a broken piece of plastic in there bouncing around, is it possible to open these pumps to have a look inside or are they bonded up and impossible to open? I will be using the 1260 externally as a return pump, encase that helps with the opening that it won't be submerged in water.

Thank you to anyone who can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1038.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	107714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1040.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	107722  

fishypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Honestly I'd file a claim with eBay and return them if they are that damaged, if someone has worked them that hard with that little care there are probably other things just waiting to break
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would probably also file a claim as suggested above. But I would also be curious is installing a new impeller AND shaft on the pumps would be just fine. If you can afford to go that route, I'd suggest it.

The pump is epoxy filled under all that plastic so the only place there might be a loose part would be under the cover plate that covers the back end of the pump where the cord exits the pump.

Also, check the labels on the pumps before buying new parts to be sure you order the correct parts for your models. I see you are in Ireland so hopefully the pumps you got work with your voltage requirements.

I'm not sure if minor wear in the impeller well area, where the magnetic portion of the impeller sits, will impact the operation of the pump. As long as the plastic hasn't worn away and there are no minute cracks in that area, I think you should be fine. An inspection of this area with a bright light is recommended.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
fishypaul

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the replies so far, as for the claim with ebay and sending the items back. I am based in Ireland and the seller in England. I used a special one way service to get the pumps over cheap enough, so sending them back would be a pain. So I contacted the seller who offered a 50% refund meaning i got them for about 22 pound each (30 dollars each). Which also gives me the money to buy a new impeller. I just know if I put a new impeller into the impeller well as it is the walls will just scratch the new one up as well. So would like to smooth them out before putting a new impeller in there, just have no idea how to do that

So yes I would love to have sent them back after I seen the condition but financially it just wasn't viable with shipping etc, the price i originally paid was way too high for the condition, but now the price paid is right around the "worth a shot" risk range, and will be good if I can fix them. Right now they do move water (when tested in a bucket) but I know they will vibrate, rattle and probably over heat / burn out over time if left as is.

Also good point about the epoxy filled body, so is the back plate removeable?
fishypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes the back plate is removable but the only thing you should see is the epoxy filled motor unless a bit of the plastic housing has broken off and is underneath the plate.

Technically, the impeller magnet should not be contacting the walls of the impeller well. It is probable that a piece of gravel or something similar was ingested by the pump because the previous owner didn't use the prefilter foam and screen when running the pump in a pond or sump. Or that the impeller shaft was broken during operation and the impeller was banging around in the impeller well. Or that the previous owner lost one of the two rubber bushings that center the impeller shaft properly in the impeller well.

As long as there are no protrusions in the impeller well, the impeller magnet should not contact the walls of the impeller well. Obviously a picture would be helpful but I have had difficulty obtaining clear pictures of my Eheim pumps even using a bright light.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I would recommend filing a claim. I can also tell you a little experience I had. My first canister (Eheim 2215) was sold to me as new, looked new, not sure if it was used or defective but came with a broken impeller shaft. Being that it was my first filter, I posted hear about how noisy it was. People said just wait and that it was likely air. It got quiet but loud after turning it off. I just thought it was air.

It took me about a month to figure out the issue was a broken impeller shaft. I could have easily taken it back but I was stubborn. I bought a new impeller shaft and 6 months later, my filter was making noise again. It turned out that running it with a broken impeller shaft, it "oblonged" (not sure how to say that) the hole in the impeller. I then had to shell out money for a new impeller, new shaft and bushings. Now, after a year, it is starting to make noise again. Not seeing any obvious signs of damage to the impeller area. Maybe it will just take time. I am not sure what the problem is but something is wrong and I will likely have to replace more parts or just scrap it. I already paid about 1/3 of the price just in repairs, some which could have been avoided had I known more, but that was only 2-3 weeks with it messed up.

On the flip side, I bought a new Ecco 2234 about a year later with absolutely no issues the entire time.

I would get your money back if you can, or buy a new shaft and bushings (sold together) as well as an impeller at the least.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote