whats your thought? GF's suprise display tank...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

whats your thought? GF's suprise display tank...

so i just got done doing a new scrape for my GF's main tank and she has no idea how it looks yet and she'll be home in an hr, i just wanted to know what you guys think of it?

long story short, her tank has just rocks pile up no sand no plants and full of huge about 30 cichlids or so and fish waste everywhere.... i sold them all and tear the tank down today and clean it out and got her new black sand some plants and used a few of the rocks she had before to save some cash... and this is what i came up with along the way till now....

what do you guys think? its not 100% complete as u can see there is still empty space to be filled with new plants and floor ground plants but for what was done in a day i think i need some response from the "pros" out there lol...

looks good during the day but here are some night shoots of the tank which i think pops alot more then during the day... and this is what she will be seeing for the first time is the night shoot

Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Looks great, im sure she will be happy with your work :-)
The only thing for me is that the focal point (taller rock) is too central, but once the plants grow in im sure it will soften that slightly.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Zlookup
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Perhaps off center the peak? The layout seems to build up to the center from both ends and off setting it one way or the other may help to not direct the eyes too centrally. Too much symmetry doesn't make for a very natural look. Nice start. Look forward to seeng how it fills out.
Zlookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

honestly she wanted a focal point of the tank which i though of making a mountian like in the center of the tank.... but once the plants start to fill in... it will cover the base of the rock and make it a little more sight seeing view... also fish will be added later in a few days or week so there will be movement within the tank... should look a lot better then... =) got to look at the BIG picture lol

what the picture doesnt really show is from the main peak in the center that goes down on both ends.... it turns to a "C" like with the opening being the front of the tank... and the side rocks are more of a display to have more of a rocky look then just a "C" with a peak in the center....

P.S. my GF likes it simply rather then a full natural aquarium like us hobbyist likes it lol.... this is just for her taste... i have my own "plated tank" which is more natural, will post a photo of it later tmr night if anyone wants to see it... will post it here also xD
Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
jake10
Planted Member

Personally I love it! Throw in some Val's in the back and you have a great tank once it all grows in.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Default Re: whats your thought? GF's suprise display tank...

The tall rock needs to be off centered...golden ratio

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Zolek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I agree with the other people that the upright rock needs to be off center.
Zolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what do you mean by "off centered" ? remove it?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Zolek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Move the upright rock so it is not in the dead middle of the tank. Having your focal point perfectly centered like that really kills the illusion of a nature scene. Move it to a more golden ratio-ish position, so about 35-40% from one side of the tank.
Zolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Very nice! Off center the center and it'll make it look even better! Kudos on the job well done though!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can anyone draw out where the center rock should be using a picture I posted above not sure where it should go
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Something along the lines of this:

Divide the tank into thirds. Once divided, the vertical lines are where your center should be. Move the rock from the left over to the end on the right and just slide the center piece to the left. There is more into the rule of thirds part but for your setup, these are the lines you would look at. Here's a link of some good information on the rule of thirds:
http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main...-your-aquarium
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok got cho but wouldnt it leave the center right side empty? wouldnt that kinda looks weird?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Zlookup
Algae Grower

I'm a bit of a newb so take what I say with a grain of salt, but symmetry makes things look too unnatural. Having it off center will likely make it more natural looking. If you have this laid out in a semi circle from a top down view, i would also consider changing that up. I just try to look at scapes and see if i can picture it naturally occurring in nature. In the end though, you are your own best critic. What others deem right is their opinion based on what they like. If you like it as is, by no means should you feel compelled to change it for others sake. The tank is for you and your GF's enjoyment after all. If you get a scape others like, but dislike yourself, kind of defeats the purpose I feel .

Good luck.
Zlookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
cheeman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default whats your thought? GF's suprise display tank...

Is your old lady going to be pissed for selling all her fish? Lol. It looks good. But I'm with every one else. Move the rock over one way or the other. And it will look better.
cheeman is offline   Reply With Quote