Help my pick my new lights, need to order ASAP!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
wickerstick
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tx
Posts: 12
Default

Help my pick my new lights, need to order ASAP!


Well my tanks are in danger! My long lasting Hagen Glo T5HO died 2 day's ago and i need to figure out replacement options for that and my 36 gallon bowfront

MY previous light. was fantastic for me, didn't give me too much trouble growing plants via low tech, no C02 no added anything. it just worked great.

Now its out and im chasing down replacement options and found a couple but im almost dead set on this one
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1638

its marked down cheaper than the 2x54 and wider meaning i could take the middle buld out and have a wider spread of lighting and the option to up the lighting when i add co2 down the road. so im almost dead set on this one but i can get this a little cheaper http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=23590

now my other current setup is a 36G bowfront, This one has been a nightmare to get growing anything. at first i just had the standard t8 then added the t8 from my 20long behind it, replaced those with a Aqueon modular LED ever with 3 daybright bulbs in it and a versa top it wasn't enough light. returned it and the bulbs and bought a coralifet5no. it has 1 colormax and 1 6700k bulb in it, just bought a second 6700k light. im replacing this in favor of something stronger, this 36g, when finished, will be the most planted tank.

I am keeping the coralife 30" and will move it to the bottom rack where the 20L is and use it on that. so i will have 2 tanks on a metal stand 36G top 20L on bottom both planted.

for the 36 gallon im starting to think I'm going to empty it, Rescape with new plants, the gravel rocks have no nutrients so if i can find a good deal on a bulk amount f ADA ill do that but back to topic : lighting this thing if been trying to decide between the FishNeedit 30" or the aquaticlife 30"T5HO or just order a single bulb catalina fixture when i order the one i linked up top.

also for anyone that has a fishneedit fixture. when i look at the bulbs they have 1 white 1 pink or all white. if you choose all white the bulb choices are *** or 10000k i did not see an option for 6700k on the site so i emailed them but a have not had a response yet. any other good options i do not plan on hanging the light. rather resting on lifted with legs. is the any 30" 3 bulb options i dont know about on the market? somthing with a wide spread of light ? any comments welcome.

btw currently with the coralife t5no dosing with florish comprehensive, and exel.

plant nutrients i own are Florish Iron, Florish Exel, Florish comprehensive, and a big bottle o aqueon plant nutrients i haven't used yet. may try it with the 20 gallon

anyway am I on the right path here? what do you think about my choices? what other options to i have?

I will probably order the 48" catalina fixture i linked unless someone talks me out of it. but the 36G is the one that's hard to find the perfect light for.
wickerstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Tetrameck
Algae Grower
 
Tetrameck's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 29
Default

Great fixture. I have one and love it. I got two 6700 and the Plant Grow bulb. Plants are happy. Only wish i would have added the LED moonlights. Ah well...
Tetrameck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 517
Default

The Catalina lights are excellent light. Best reflectors out there. I was looking at a 2x39W 36" one, and the one you linked is the same price so I'd grab it while it's hot!
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sjb1987's Avatar
 
PTrader: (139/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanider View Post
The Catalina lights are excellent light. Best reflectors out there. I was looking at a 2x39W 36" one, and the one you linked is the same price so I'd grab it while it's hot!
I wouldnt say they are "the best reflectors out there" but they are good for the price.
__________________
sjb1987 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
wickerstick
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tx
Posts: 12
Default

thanks so im going to pull the trigger on that today, What bulbs should a get for a good light spectrum for different plants? 65K, PLANT GROW, 10K,5000K, 3000K i was thinking either 2 plantgrow 1 10k or all plant grow or what? is it better to have a combination for different light spectrum's certain plants may need? i've already got that on in my cart. just need to select which lights to go in it.

and still debating the fixture for the 36 gallon, will the fishneedit get me to low-medium light at 18-22 inches from substrate. or should i get a dual t5ho and start out by only running 1 light till i go Co2 injection, my friend from the LFS said he would teach me how he does DIY Co2, all the plants in the shop seem somewhat healthy and he is running a basic sponge filter home depot lighting and diy co2 i think.
wickerstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
wickerstick
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tx
Posts: 12
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1987 View Post
I wouldnt say they are "the best reflectors out there" but they are good for the price.
how are they compared to my old Hagen GLO single reflector. looks like this one pictured here by Hoppy

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183345

i love the single reflector and had great results, i'm sure the 3 bulb Catalina won't be too far off. if it needed more light (which i think would be too much light) i could put the 3rd bulb back in ( probably wont use 3rd bulb to keep low tech.) dose if needed.

thanks for the repys so far it gives me confidence I'm making the right choices
wickerstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1987 View Post
I wouldnt say they are "the best reflectors out there" but they are good for the price.
Well yeah you're right... at 1/3 the price of a "premium" light they're pretty darn good!
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
chevyguy8893
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IN
Posts: 254
Default

I just got a new catalina solar quad T5HO about a couple weeks ago and I love it. It actually turned out to be much cheaper when I emailed them, and then called. The PAR data for a couple of their fixtures is in the lighting sticky, and they do seem to perform well.

Both my previous fixture and this one run one 6700K and one pink plant grow bulb for 8 hours to balance out the light spectrum. I tried 2 6700K together and everything looked too green for my taste, and apparently my plants taste too. So, for two constant lights the 6700K and tahiti pink work well for the plants and I. The 10,000K may make the colors of the fish pop more and add a bit more from the blue part of the visible spectrum. They don't have info for their bulbs and what their visible spectrum output is though.

Sorry, I rambled a bit there .
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
wickerstick
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tx
Posts: 12
Default

thanks for the replies, I ordered the catalina fixture with 2 6700k and 1 plant grow. will be running 1PG and 1 6700k with the middle empty until i consider Co2

now i just need to figure out the 30" fixture still debating that one.
The Aqueon modular Led i tried left me afraid to try LED again but the finnex FugeRay ultra Slim LED looks very sleek and they are a 30" fixture. how Does this preform growing a variety of plants compared to the fishneedit 30" fixture and the Aquatic Life 30" dual T5HO?

I saw the "LED Lighting Compendium" post and it only had data for the 10" and 12" no mention of the 30"

The fishNeedit is 69.99 (cheap IMHO)

the finnex on there site says 53.99 then once u select it, it says 82.99 but uses paypal which is awesome.

The Nova Extreme SLR t5 is 89.99 Uses 2x24w lights has legs, dont know about the quality of the light or how well it works

The Aquaticlife daul T5HO is 119.99 on drfosterandsmith It uses 2x24" 24W T5HO's

worried about the light now covering enough of the tank esp with only 1 bulb and the 36G bow is hard tank to get a light for because its not a square and has the big bowed out front that makes it hard to get a good spread, wanting something that doesn't have to be hung maybe something with legs to get the light up off the glass to spread out but the higher i go the less Par i get at the floor, and if i want to eventually grow a nice carpet plant IE: Dwarf Hair-grass I think, I will need a higher par at the substrate which i was thinking of replacing.
anyway with some ADA or Eco Complete black substrate make plants pop!

anyway price wise I don't really wanna go over what I paid for the Catalina I purchased which was around 150~ so any suggestions and link to info I haven't found/seen yet is appreciated! hopefully i say around 100$ if im lucky and the fishneedit will work hey that's a nice price but i want to hear from YOU! thanks again!
wickerstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Baronvaile
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Minier, IL.
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
I just got a new catalina solar quad T5HO about a couple weeks ago and I love it. It actually turned out to be much cheaper when I emailed them, and then called. The PAR data for a couple of their fixtures is in the lighting sticky, and they do seem to perform well.

Both my previous fixture and this one run one 6700K and one pink plant grow bulb for 8 hours to balance out the light spectrum. I tried 2 6700K together and everything looked too green for my taste, and apparently my plants taste too. So, for two constant lights the 6700K and tahiti pink work well for the plants and I. The 10,000K may make the colors of the fish pop more and add a bit more from the blue part of the visible spectrum. They don't have info for their bulbs and what their visible spectrum output is though.

Sorry, I rambled a bit there .
I really enjoy my catalina quad t5ho x 54w. It's time to replace the bulbs and have been running pure 6700K's. You have given me something to think about for the new bulbs.
Baronvaile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerstick View Post
thanks for the replies, I ordered the catalina fixture with 2 6700k and 1 plant grow. will be running 1PG and 1 6700k with the middle empty until i consider Co2

now i just need to figure out the 30" fixture still debating that one.
The Aqueon modular Led i tried left me afraid to try LED again but the finnex FugeRay ultra Slim LED looks very sleek and they are a 30" fixture. how Does this preform growing a variety of plants compared to the fishneedit 30" fixture and the Aquatic Life 30" dual T5HO?

I saw the "LED Lighting Compendium" post and it only had data for the 10" and 12" no mention of the 30"

The fishNeedit is 69.99 (cheap IMHO)

the finnex on there site says 53.99 then once u select it, it says 82.99 but uses paypal which is awesome.

The Nova Extreme SLR t5 is 89.99 Uses 2x24w lights has legs, dont know about the quality of the light or how well it works

The Aquaticlife daul T5HO is 119.99 on drfosterandsmith It uses 2x24" 24W T5HO's

worried about the light now covering enough of the tank esp with only 1 bulb and the 36G bow is hard tank to get a light for because its not a square and has the big bowed out front that makes it hard to get a good spread, wanting something that doesn't have to be hung maybe something with legs to get the light up off the glass to spread out but the higher i go the less Par i get at the floor, and if i want to eventually grow a nice carpet plant IE: Dwarf Hair-grass I think, I will need a higher par at the substrate which i was thinking of replacing.
anyway with some ADA or Eco Complete black substrate make plants pop!

anyway price wise I don't really wanna go over what I paid for the Catalina I purchased which was around 150~ so any suggestions and link to info I haven't found/seen yet is appreciated! hopefully i say around 100$ if im lucky and the fishneedit will work hey that's a nice price but i want to hear from YOU! thanks again!


i have a 24in Finnex ray ll, i love it

also got a Catalina 3x54 for my 72 bow... luv that too


as long as u get a Finnex LED , you dont have to worry finnex gets the job done
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
36g, lighting 30 in, planted

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012