Unzan 75-P - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #121
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Unzan 75-P

Nice man

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #122
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (97/100%)

Do you plan on adding other colored plants or will you be sticking to bright green only?

Either way, it looks good!
hedge_fund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #123
davidj12
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
Nice man

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Do you plan on adding other colored plants or will you be sticking to bright green only?

Either way, it looks good!
I don't have any plans to add plants at this moment but you never know in the future.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #124
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

oh WOW! that is a beautiful work you did there!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #125
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
oh WOW! that is a beautiful work you did there!
Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #126
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looks great, nice setup!
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #127
davidj12
Algae Grower

Some quick notes from over the weekend.

I had been running my filter with EHEIM MECH and 5 LBS of carbon from day 1. I have since removed 2.5 LBS of carbon and replaced it with EHEIM Substrata Pro. I plan on removing the balance of the carbon this weekend and putting the rest of the Substrat Pro as well as a purigen pillow.

I'm getting some really thick surface scum right now. Have to raise the pipes at night. I'm thinking about getting a VUPPA to deal with it since I really don't like how it looks. Was looking for the Eheim skim350 but I'm not sure when that is coming to the states...

Also started EI dosing on Sunday. Schedule below. I decided to go a little light and adjust up over the coming months.

Sunday
12 gal water change (100% RO/DI)
1/8 - KNO3
1/32 - KH2PO4
1 tsp gh
1/2 tsp baking soda

Monday
1/32 - Trace

Tuesday
1/8 - KNO3
1/32 - KH2PO4

Wednesday
1/32 - Trace

Thursday
1/8 - KNO3
1/32 - KH2PO4

Friday
1/32 - Trace

Saturday
Break
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #128
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

With regards to filter media, at the time a tank matures I like to use 90% bio-media and the rest of the 10% with carbon or other media that substitute carbon (e.g. Seachem Purigen). This helps to get the water clean without giving up too much space for bio-media. I then change the carbon once a month.

As for surface film, I like to use my DIY surface skimmer only once a week for 15 minutes, which is the day after the water change. I don't know about how quick your film forms but for me using the surface skimmer once a week keeps it decently clean for that week. If your film isn't really developing too fast, making a DIY surface skimmer to be used only 15 minutes a week will save a lot of money than going for a VUPPA (though they do look nice )

You probably know already, but if you are dosing EI using a solution you can mix the KNO3 and the KH2PO4 together to save space and time. Also, learning to dose EI is pretty much trial and error (at least for me ), good luck!

Last edited by iter; 03-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Typo
iter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #129
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
With regards to filter media, at the time a tank matures I like to use 90% bio-media and the rest of the 10% with carbon or other media that substitute carbon (e.g. Seachem Purigen). This helps to get the water clean without giving up too much space for bio-media. I then change the carbon once a month.

As for surface film, I like to use my DIY surface skimmer only once a week for 15 minutes, which is the day after the water change. I don't know about how quick your film forms but for me using the surface skimmer once a week keeps it decently clean for that week. If your film isn't really developing too fast, making a DIY surface skimmer to be used only 15 minutes a week will save a lot of money than going for a VUPPA (though they do look nice )

You probably know already, but if you are dosing EI using a solution you can mix the KNO3 and the KH2PO4 together to save space and time. Also, learning to dose EI is pretty much trial and error (at least for me ), good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about doing a DIY skimmer but so far the layer is getting pretty thick quite quickly. Don't know if that is because the tank is new or some other reason... I don't have much experience with a planted tank this size. Guess we shall see.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #130
davidj12
Algae Grower

Algae finally showed up. Not sure what type it is but below is a photo of it. Went to my LFS and picked up 3 otos and 5 Amano Shrimp. Got them in the tank and in a matter of 1hr the algae was gone

This weekend I'm going to add some more fish. Either 10 more cardinals or 5 cherry barbs. I've also got my eye on some ruby tetras but not sure about them yet.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #131
davidj12
Algae Grower

Just did a major trim on the stem plants

Before

After

At sundays water change I'm going to take the last 2.5lbs of carbon out and put in the rest of the Substrat pro and also a purigen pillow.

I've been getting a really thick protein layer these days. I notice that it is espically thick in the evening after dosing KN03 and KH2PO4 in the morning. Don't quite know what to make of that.

The slime layer really bugs me so I'm thinking about getting a VUPPA to take care of it as I relaly enjoy looking down into the tank

Also trying to figure out some way to make a small shield for the MH light so it does not spill out so much in the front (it's really close to my kitchen table). A piece of metal or wood with magnets.... Not sure what is going to look good at this point.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #132
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

That looks fantastic, the HC really filled in! Who needs DSM, just get TC plants.

With some future trimming the rotala should look like a nice thicket.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #133
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Really nice setup!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #134
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
That looks fantastic, the HC really filled in! Who needs DSM, just get TC plants.

With some future trimming the rotala should look like a nice thicket.
Thanks! Seriously I don't think I would have the patience for DSM after going through this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Really nice setup!
Thanks you!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #135
GregP
Algae Grower

Really love this set up.

The tank and lighting is exactly the same as what I am planning for my first planted set up, and it really gives me inspriation

A few questions if you wouldn't mind helping me out?

I understood the the nag bulb brought out the green of the plants more. Is that correct? Or would you advise the bulb you are using? Was the nag really that blue?
Is the light/ballast noisy at all? Looking for a near silent set up as some mh ballasts can be noisy.

I really like this set up. From the ones I have seen, none have had plants any higher than the rock as most are mimicking a landscape. Only my obs as a noob! But this really works well and makes me want to use a few more plants in my iwagumi and create something slightly denser than the average look.

Great thread and great tank
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
75p, ada, unzan