Miracle gro organic choice potting mix or MTS - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
I don't know to be honest. Only thing, I know is that the more I read the more confused I get.

I could not find dolomite either.
Sorry to read this post but guess it's the way with forums.
I tinker with all things tanked never setting up two tanks exactly the same way. I also don't mind testing so I test. GH, KH, NO2, NH3/NH4, NO3, PO4, pH, TDS included. Parameter shifts, pictures and time lines in all my startup journals. MGOCPM is a staple in most of my tanks.

Personally I avoid water altering minerals (GH, KH) in the substrate.

hope something helps
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
darthmilmo
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have had success with Miracle grow organic potting soil. It was my first tank and I didn't even bother washing it, lol. I capped one tank with one of the fancy planted gravel. I planted my second tank with plain sand from home depo. Both have worked fine. Oh, I do recommend adding malaysian trumpet snails as they help areate the soil and get rid of the nasty pockets of gas that develops with dirt. Alternatively, you can stick a chopstick several times to release the pockets of gas.

I am planning on mixing my mgops with kitty litter (clay-based, non-scented) on my next dirted tank. I will cap this one out with black silica (used for sand-blasting). I'll let you know how that goes .
darthmilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #33
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have my first planted tanks running for about six weeks with Miracle Gro. It was super easy ( pick out large chunks and proceed), and my plants are growing really well.

My only gripe has to do with user error. I am a super noob, and had to move things a couple times. My cap was about .5" and that just wasn't enough to stand up to my cackhanded attempts at gentle water changes, moving, and trimming. I broke through in a bunch of places, leading to some interesting problems and shameful solutions.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote