ghost knife fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
kade james
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ghost knife fish?

why cant i keep black ghost knife fish?.. everybody else is fine but BGKs dont ever last long and i dont know why.. any secrets?

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-17-2013 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: inappropriate foul language
kade james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Grifter
Algae Grower

A bit more information might help ? tank size , water para etc.
Sounds like me and louches
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Wazzit?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
kade james
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
A bit more information might help ? tank size , water para etc.
Sounds like me and louches
tank is a 75 gal with an emperor 400, big medical airpump, plants, big rock setup,, plenty of hiding spaces. i have platys, guppies, gouramis, german blue rams, rainbow sharks, syno cats, scissortail rasboras, tiger barbs, dalmation mollies, plecos, 1 angel.. everybody is fine. fed dried brine, blood worms, bottom feeder shrimp pellets, and floating tropical pellets,, 2-3 times a day
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default ghost knife fish?

I've had mine for 6 years he lived through an initial learning curve with a uncycled tank, he's lived through 7 different tanks/moves, he's lived through 2 gassing's(lost lots of fish), and my dosing learning curve(OD on excell,N And P. In the past 6 years he's had at least 100 different tank mates......he's been to hell and back.

I've always made sure he has lots of hiding places, and he has always had a constant supply of neons to eat.

Did I mention the countless ick outbreaks I've had due to the neons before I had a quarantine tank?

Mine is now 13" long his name is sushi

How do you kill a bgk???

We need more info on your set up to help you.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-17-2013 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: removed language
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default ghost knife fish?

I suspect the rainbow sharks I've always immediately removed any fish that I see scuffling with my bgk(he's my favorite)
Rainbow sharks were on that list.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-17-2013 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: removed language
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
kade james
Algae Grower

ive killed 3, the tank came with a big 9 incher.. i had the first one for a while and it did well with everybody,, forsure my favorite. got sick and died.. i can never really tell when they are sick until its too late. 1st one got some kind of white growth that ate its skin away.. got sick and died within 2 days.
second one (about 2.5 inches) that died was bought with my last one and i think it died because it wasnt eating the floating pellets (i just expected it to eat them because the first one ate the same pellets) or it just wasnt getting enough food altogether.
3rd one was doing really good,, it just ate bloodworms out of my hand like 2 days ago...i noticed it swimming stationary out of its normal hiding spot (wierd for BGKs) yesterday.. and i was like nooooooooooo because i already knew that something was wrong. and its not my 3 rainbow sharks.. they came with the tank along with my first bgk.. they don't mess with anybody and never have except eachother.. they wont touch another fish until its dead and then its gone..

Last edited by Momotaro; 03-17-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Removed allusion to swearing
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Maybe related, maybe not, but I'd point out one emp 400 probably isn't enough for a 75, and you feed a lot.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Keep the water clean, give them a hiding place and make sure they get food. I've had mine for over a year and a half in a discus tank and she is now over 13" (started at 3"). I had to hand feed her at first, then I would drop food in for her at night after lights out. Now she will come out and take and entire freeze dried blackworm cube from the glass while the discus are trying to eat it. I feed her earthworms too.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.