Elevation Options ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2003, 02:10 AM   #1
depthC
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC

Since ive upgraded my lighting on my 10g standard hood with a 2x13w kit im in need of ideas on how i should elevate the hood. This is the picture of what the hood used to look like, here, old inc. hood . .

Now ive upgraded it this is how it looks : here, upgraded flo. hood .

As you can see the two balasts are mounted on the back. I originally didnt want to do this but i didnt have much of a option. So i did it, put it on my tank and a while later i noticed a buzzing comming from the new balasts. Well since i didnt give it much thought the balasts or at least one was right next to the filter outflow. So being paranoid i took out the hood and havent used it since. I want to upgrade and make my own wood hood but i wont be able to do it till spring since the equipment isnt available. So this is my situation.

I got myself a glass 10g tank filled it with shultz, cut myself a piece of plexiglass and put it on the tank. Then put the hood on the plexiglass, plugged it in and admired what was soon to be a running tank. Well after a while i got caught up and left the light on and to be honest i was surfing mft. Well i went upstairs and found that the plexiglass warped because of the heat. Heh, my bad again i dont have the hood vented at all yet.

Here is a visual to help you understand. As you can see the hood sits flush on the plexi and its not vented.

So i plan to cut a few holes in the sides to provide some ventalation. But being as i am i dont think that will be enough to stop the plexiglass from warping again. So i was thinking of elevating the hood some to help dissipate some more heat and avoid warping the acrylic again. So any ideas on elevation? I thought of one or two small pieces of wood to elevate it and one in the front to avoid the light from reflecting off from the acrylic. Any more ideas?

- depthC