Activity - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #121
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yea we used Plasti-Dip on our boat anchor, it worked pretty well actually. But dear lord do it out side because you will end up with it everywhere.
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #122
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Plasti-dip? what's that for?
It's a flexible and waterproof rubber coating you can buy in a spray can form. I think it's most common uses involve creating rubber grips on tools, blacking out vehicle logos, painting vehicle rims black, and coating electrical wires that may be exposed to moisture.

I haven't tried it yet, but the neat thing about it is that it's flexible and can be peeled off in one go when you don't want it anymore. Some people on TPT have successfully used it on green filter hoses/tubes and I want to try the same.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #123
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh ok, That actually sounds quite useful in our hobby, having a flexible sealant that is pet safe.

Is this that same as that Rubber in a can crud you see in infomercials?
That's what I envision when you say it's aerosolized in form.

Let us know how it goes then will you?

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #124
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

It might be, I'm not sure? We don't have cable so I can't say I've seen the commercial to confirm.

This is the stuff: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

From what I've read on forums, it should be safe for aquarium use if left to cure for several weeks.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #125
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Oh ok, That actually sounds quite useful in our hobby, having a flexible sealant that is pet safe.

Is this that same as that Rubber in a can crud you see in infomercials?
That's what I envision when you say it's aerosolized in form.

Let us know how it goes then will you?
plasti-dip is similar, but has been around for DECADES. it is very useful.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #126
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting stuff, I didn't realize it, apparently that's what my tool handles are made of, Older ones like Vise grips and Monkey wrenches.

So I've started using a sterilite as a plant quarantine tank, with a way over sized filter on it. Testing out different sponges, and nylon stocking covers on the intake too.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #127
Tetranerd
Planted Member

Hi, all,
My name is Sheri and I live north of Lansing in a little town called Carson City. I have a 90 gal tank containing 12 black skirt and 20 cardinal tetras, 2 angels, 6 emerald cories and 3 albino bristle nose plecos. I work in a little hospital here in town and my LFS is Preuss Pets in Lansing. Great place with great selection.
RAOK Club #83
My 90 Gallon tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...414&highlight=
Tetranerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #128
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Picked up a couple of medium sized Amazon Swords yesterday from Petco, for 10 bucks. Not bad.
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #129
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm excited Thinking that Monday I get to go to Preuss Pet's for the first time since I moved out of Lansing!

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 03-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #130
seuadr
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm excited Thinking that Monday I get to go to Preuss Pet's for the first time since I moved out of Lansing!
i was there today.. their plants are looking MUCH better than they have in the past few visits. i think that someone must have spent a lot of time with them.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #131
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: Activity

Thinking that tomorrow I might work on getting the old substrate out of my 72 that had been set up as a saltwater tank, and getting the rest the glass cleaned up. Still trying to decide if I want to use play sand or black diamond as the substrate.

Was also wondering what places folks would recommend for angelfish. I have checked out Moby Dicks and Highland Tropical fish and bird haven. Planning a trip hopefully in the next trip two weeks out to Pruess. Any other places close to Howell that you would recommend to check out, thinking about within an hour drive. That or any local breeders of angelfish that anyone would recommend? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #132
Plant keeper
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
Thinking that tomorrow I might work on getting the old substrate out of my 72 that had been set up as a saltwater tank, and getting the rest the glass cleaned up. Still trying to decide if I want to use play sand or black diamond as the substrate.

Was also wondering what places folks would recommend for angelfish. I have checked out Moby Dicks and Highland Tropical fish and bird haven. Planning a trip hopefully in the next trip two weeks out to Pruess. Any other places close to Howell that you would recommend to check out, thinking about within an hour drive. That or any local breeders of angelfish that anyone would recommend? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
i would check out fantastic fins.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #133
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hoping to Find the resources and willpower balance needed before going to Preuss Monday. I have to spend less than 50$ on anything and everything I get, but I want to get so many things!

What is the best place to find lower priced plants, preferably not snail infested like the ones at Meijer's or petsmart.

Trying to find Various mosses and easier to grow low light plants to setup a nice Cherry shrimp tank.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #134
seuadr
Planted Member

Quote:
Hoping to Find the resources and willpower balance needed before going to Preuss Monday. I have to spend less than 50$ on anything and everything I get, but I want to get so many things!

What is the best place to find lower priced plants, preferably not snail infested like the ones at Meijer's or petsmart.

Trying to find Various mosses and easier to grow low light plants to setup a nice Cherry shrimp tank.
i found that a small shop in my hometown of clio, called somethings fishy has similar, if not better quality plants that preusses, but at about half the price.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #135
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

I go to Something's fishy all the time, it's where I've gotten all but one of my purchased plants. I agree they have pretty good prices, but a somewhat limited selection, at times.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~