ANOTHER co2 thread
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Sakuras
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ANOTHER co2 thread

Hey ive been lurking around this site for a long time and ive experimented various types of diffusion for my diy co2 ( yeast and sugar )
S far, the best diffusion is from my HOB filter ( just insert into the intake ) it get very fine bubbles but the problem is i think the co2 damaged the impeller and i am not keen on using this method again. Ive tried the the bell, chop stick and air stone and it has very very low efficiency.

Any ideas i could diffuse it?
im not gonna buy another glass diffuser as it did not work on my diy co2. a bubble ladder too cant be used as my tank it looks too bulky
Sakuras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

If you have a powerhead (any cheap one will do) and a siphon hose, then see this article:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#2

This is probably the best method for DIY co2 diffusion.
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Sakuras
Algae Grower

a reactor looks complicated and $$ is a factor man. i just spend $10 on a glass diffuser that didnt work. so im abit cautious now
Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Got a canister filter?
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you do not want to invest in a canister filter/ sump, and are afraid of damaging ur HOB, you can use a powerhead and feed the gas into that. You can look into venturi pumps.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

The glass diffusers on ebay work fine, if you can't get them to work then you have a leak somewhere. Make sure everything is sealed up tight. It takes about 30 mins to an hour to build enough pressure to start diffusing.
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
james0816
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
The glass diffusers on ebay work fine, if you can't get them to work then you have a leak somewhere. Make sure everything is sealed up tight. It takes about 30 mins to an hour to build enough pressure to start diffusing.
+1

I have them on all my set ups.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I guess before we go any further... what kind of diffuser did you get? If you got one of the "bell" diffusers that simply traps a giant bubble of CO2, then no, those suck. A diffuser with a ceramic micro-porous disk in it will work much better.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

This is what I have on DIY setups in 3 different tanks:

It works very well and is only $10 on fleabay. It's a cheap chinese deal, and I got one that the ceramic disc was cracked, but the seller took it back with no issues.
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

The reactor is actually really cheap. Just use any old siphon head you have laying around, and you can find a really cheap powerhead (or you may have one on hand).

I bought a powerhead for $4 at Unleashed (owned by Petco) on clearance and got a siphon head for free. So total cost for my reactor was $4.

Your other option is the glass co2 diffuser linked above. Those require low pressure to diffuse.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanider View Post
The reactor is actually really cheap. Just use any old siphon head you have laying around, and you can find a really cheap powerhead (or you may have one on hand).

I bought a powerhead for $4 at Unleashed (owned by Petco) on clearance and got a siphon head for free. So total cost for my reactor was $4.

Your other option is the glass co2 diffuser linked above. Those require low pressure to diffuse.
What is a "siphon head"?
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

A part of a siphone hose that goes in the water (the thing you use for water changes)
Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #13
Sakuras
Algae Grower

There is definitely no leaks in my diy co2. I think the glass diffuser i bought was only to be used for pressurized. Im gonna look into the co2 reactors and i'll try building one.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
newms
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use a Hagen "Elite Underwater Mini Filter" (~$10 on amazon) with a hole bored into the side of it before the impeller for the co2 line. It's a powerful little pump that's adjustable and moves a lot of water.

Pros: Cheap and effective. Draws water to the co2, chops up the co2 into little bubbles, and shoots those bubbles down along the substrate and all the way to the other side of the tank. I've found good substrate level circulation key for growing dense plant carpets. The bubbles are very small and spend a very long time in the lower levels of the tank.

Cons: The impeller makes an audible noise when a Co2 bubble hits it which some people don't like. I actually enjoy it because I've come to associate that sound with my co2 working and my plants growing.
newms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.