10 mins and I screwed up already...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
sarazorz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 mins and I screwed up already...

I have no problem admitting that I can be dumb sometimes. So I just started dirting the new 29g, building terraces and getting all excited about how awesome it's going to be. Then a thought popped into my head, "is there such a thing as too much dirt?" - and it's a good thing I had this thought, because yeah - I could have totally screwed everything up. (See pic)

So, as you can see I have terraces built with dirt, apparently an idiotic thing to do. I will be scooping out all of that dirt today and going back down to an inch.

I'm going to have to figure out how to build terraces without using substrate, given all the stuff I've read about anaerobic bacteria and hydrogen sulfide. I have some plexiglass laying around. I'll probably do something with that.

Let me just defend myself and say, that I've been watching Amano's YouTube channel, and I've watched him set up a few tanks - and there's tanks where he uses like 6-10 inches of substrate. I wonder how he's getting away with it... Thoughts on this appreciated.

And do chime in for suggestions about terraces.

-A humbled fish hobbyist.
sarazorz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

What do you mean by dirt? Is it mineralized soil? If so, then 1" is enough, but you can build up your slopes and terraces with whatever material you use to cap it with.
Aquasoil and other gravel material can be built as high as you want. There is plenty of room for water movement in and around the different shapes and size pieces. I've used Aquasoil in the past where it was at least 6" deep.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
sarazorz
Algae Grower

By dirt I mean Miracle Grow Organic.

I considered using gravel to fill up the areas behind the rock "walls" but I want to grow plants on those terraces. So, could I do a big layer of gravel, then 1 inch of dirt, then the usual sand cap? Or would that be a problem...

Last edited by sarazorz; 03-07-2013 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: pic
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I don't see any problem with that. My dirted 90 gallon is about 8" deep in the back with about an inch of cap.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
sarazorz
Algae Grower

Really? What's with all this stuff I'm reading about hydrogen sulfide bubbles and anaerobic bacteria? Were these people just incredibly unlucky?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
rexpepper651
Algae Grower

i watched a video "'Reciprocity' Aquascape by James Findley" and he only uses dirt. if you watch that video you will see him building up at least 7 inches or so of dirt only. i suggest you check out this video if you have 45 mins to waste.
rexpepper651 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
thelub

PTrader: (12/100%)

I get bubbles. I see bubbles against the glass. Sometimes even white roots in the bubbles. I have a hill that is 6-7" deep with dirt and my fish and plants are all thriving. I think you have to do something wrong to get lethal bubbles coming up from the substrate. Otherwise its just normal decomposition.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: 10 mins and I screwed up already...

As long as there are plant roots growing into the deep soil, you won't have to worry about hydrogen sulfide. Your original layout was perfect. I have a tank with at least seven inches of sand, no issues at all. I also have two tanks with miracle grow at less than one inch in one and two to five inches in the other. I get gas bubbles in both of these, and the deeper parts like to collapse when gas escapes. I would stick with your original plan, but wet the soil and press it down to get air out as much as possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
thelub

PTrader: (12/100%)

One thing I did that might help elevations is put large stones in the area where you want a hill to artificially create elevation without adding a deep dirt bed.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
ETK
Planted Member

Amano sprinkles some kind of fancy stuff on the bottom of the tank before he even adds substrate. Apparently this is to help start good bacteria in the substrate. The good bacteria, plus plant roots, help keep the substrate from going anaerobic (I think).

My tank has some seasoned flourite/gravel mix, capped with a coarse sand, and my hope is that the seasoned substrate has some healthy bacteria.

I think healthy plant roots, and a substrate that won't become overly packed, should be enough to keep anaerobic bacteria in check.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: 10 mins and I screwed up already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
I think healthy plant roots, and a substrate that won't become overly packed, should be enough to keep anaerobic bacteria in check.
This. This is the key.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
rexpepper651
Algae Grower

i like your wall idea. im actually going to do something similar thank you for the idea!
rexpepper651 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.