first real tank - a three footer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
SwimmingDragon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

first real tank - a three footer

So I've already fallen in love with the aquarium hobby, but have only used fake plants. I've been amazed by all the beautiful aquascaping creations and am ready to dive in myself, introducing my first tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	105250

It's 36 x 20 x 14. 165 liters or 43 gallons.

I will be building the tank around two fish, maybe an odd unlikely match.

- A young friendly red tailed shark.
and
- A curious, but cautious betta.

Two usually aggressive fish, that actually get along (they are already housed together) will be taking centre stage within the tank.

I'm thinking of also filling the tank with some mollies, and a few other similar sized fish.

So far I only have the tank, and am going shopping tomorrow for some driftwood, and a light, while pricing a few other things. Money's a little tight so, things will have to be purchased a few pieces at a time, but knowing me, i'll get it all sooner than anyone believes.

I have a bit of a design idea, and I will explain it as it begins to take shape. One question I do have is what plant do people use for the grass cover in an Igwami tank, would you use Java Moss at all?

Anyway, it's not an Igwami tank, but may take some inspiration from this variety. I am excited and hope you will enjoy me building my tank.

Last edited by SwimmingDragon; 03-16-2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: wrong dimensions
SwimmingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Welcome to the forum!

You can choose from a variety of plants to use as a foreground, determining what to use based on the light demands of the plant.

Taking the time to save for exactly what you want has always been worth it for me, you can make a nice tank without spending a lot of money.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
SwimmingDragon
Algae Grower

So today I went out to purchase some driftwood and a light, the first things on my list.

I ended up only getting driftwood, and have decided to get a light off Ebay

My driftwood, a centrepiece for the tank:

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	105914

Anyway, I got my new centrepiece of driftwood home, only to find that it didn't fit through the damn glass support thing on top of the tank. So after some umm'ing and arr'ing. I decided the only way was to cut the driftwood smaller to fit into the tank.

I cut of as little as I could:

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	105922

And we're in!:

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	105930

Let's just hope that small piece doesn't decide to float.

I also had a look around for some cave type ornaments, but could not find any that I liked. My Red-tailed shark LOVES caves, and the Crowntail Betta also loves finding a dark spot to sleep in. So caves in my tank are a must. I'll have to search some other shops soon.

So I'll check driftwood of my list, here is my list, if you can think of anything that I have missed let me know, I'm still new, so I'm sure to have left something out:

1. Driftwood - Purchased
2. Light - 90cm. Will buy on Ebay
3. Heater - 300W, Will buy on Ebay
4. Filter - 1000 liters per hour minimum. I have not decided between an internal underwater filter or a hang on yet. Will buy on Ebay.
5. Rock - Might actually have some decent decorative rock around the house that I can use.
6. Caves - Caves for my fighter and shark.
7. Substrate - I'm thinking a black sand type substrate.
8. Power Board - for all these power outlets.
9. Carpet Plant - Have not decided on what plant to use for a carpet in tank (any ideas?)
10. Other plants - Any other plants I want to plant in tank.
11. Bottom Feeders - I want some bottom feeder fish, to help clean my tank (any ideas?)
12. Other fish - I have my eye on a few other fish that will be going into the tank.

So I am buying piece by piece, and thats basically what I am going to get, unless I see some other cool stuff or have some more ideas.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I will recommend a canister filter and maybe an inline heater. Pet mountain has the best prices on inline heaters and some quality canisters. These will keep equipment out of your tank, keep things quiet, and keep the viewer's eye on the beautiful scape you are envisioning.
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
!Alex!
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmingDragon View Post
So today I went out to purchase some driftwood and a light, the first things on my list.

I ended up only getting driftwood, and have decided to get a light off Ebay

My driftwood, a centrepiece for the tank:
Attachment 105914

Anyway, I got my new centrepiece of driftwood home, only to find that it didn't fit through the damn glass support thing on top of the tank. So after some umm'ing and arr'ing. I decided the only way was to cut the driftwood smaller to fit into the tank.

I cut of as little as I could:

Attachment 105922

And we're in!:
Attachment 105930

Let's just hope that small piece doesn't decide to float.

I also had a look around for some cave type ornaments, but could not find any that I liked. My Red-tailed shark LOVES caves, and the Crowntail Betta also loves finding a dark spot to sleep in. So caves in my tank are a must. I'll have to search some other shops soon.

So I'll check driftwood of my list, here is my list, if you can think of anything that I have missed let me know, I'm still new, so I'm sure to have left something out:

1. Driftwood - Purchased
2. Light - 90cm. Will buy on Ebay
3. Heater - 300W, Will buy on Ebay
4. Filter - 1000 liters per hour minimum. I have not decided between an internal underwater filter or a hang on yet. Will buy on Ebay.
5. Rock - Might actually have some decent decorative rock around the house that I can use.
6. Caves - Caves for my fighter and shark.
7. Substrate - I'm thinking a black sand type substrate.
8. Power Board - for all these power outlets.
9. Carpet Plant - Have not decided on what plant to use for a carpet in tank (any ideas?)
10. Other plants - Any other plants I want to plant in tank.
11. Bottom Feeders - I want some bottom feeder fish, to help clean my tank (any ideas?)
12. Other fish - I have my eye on a few other fish that will be going into the tank.

So I am buying piece by piece, and thats basically what I am going to get, unless I see some other cool stuff or have some more ideas.
For bottom Feeders go with golden PLECOS or dragon PLECOS these PLECOS will not grow large they max is 3 4 inches.

If your planting plants get a green element lamp on eBay and substance ADA bacter 100 I made my own tank and it cost real cheap to build mine

The rocks were picked from a near by stream wash speck clean to get off bacteria. And sculpt it to the way I wanted to be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	105978  

!Alex! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
SwimmingDragon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Alex! View Post
For bottom Feeders go with golden PLECOS or dragon PLECOS these PLECOS will not grow large they max is 3 4 inches.

If your planting plants get a green element lamp on eBay and substance ADA bacter 100 I made my own tank and it cost real cheap to build mine
Hey thanks mate, the Dragon Plecos look awesome. I'll keep them in mind.

I wrote green element lamp in eBay but got 0 results. The ADA bacter 100 looks great, I'll throw that on my buy list too.

Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
SwimmingDragon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
I will recommend a canister filter and maybe an inline heater. Pet mountain has the best prices on inline heaters and some quality canisters. These will keep equipment out of your tank, keep things quiet, and keep the viewer's eye on the beautiful scape you are envisioning.
Hey great ideas, although that does seem to push the budget up a bit, it would look a lot better wouldn't it! What brand of canister filter would you recommend?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmingDragon View Post
Hey great ideas, although that does seem to push the budget up a bit, it would look a lot better wouldn't it!
From my experience, it tends to be cheaper to get the better stuff first. I buy the cheaper one saying I'm saving money and then 2 months down the road I don't like it and buy the better one. My eheim canister filter is extremely silent and it filters better than any hob filter I've used.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

Eheim are great, but i just recently bought a "sunsun" filter off of ebay for CHEAP and i am tickled to death with it my friend! You will read horror stories about any brand. Just go with your gut.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #10
SwimmingDragon
Algae Grower

Yea I think I'll go with a canister, I'll have a look around and probably pick one up next week.

Chew, I can't argue with you, I'm going to go with the canister. I do prefer good quality.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great quality is Eheim all the way.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm going to buy ehiem 2215 soon, I will let you know it works out for me. I have always had HOB filters and dislike having to replace them fairly quicker then expected. Ive had different brands so not one in particular. Good luck with your tank
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
SwimmingDragon
Algae Grower

Yea Eheim looks great. My local aquarium store has just recommended a Eheim 2213 to me. Do you guys think this one would be good for my tank? 440L/hr and comes with all the media, valves, pipes all that, so good to go straight out of the box.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #14
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default first real tank - a three footer

I'd say 2217. I have a 2213 running full blast on my 10g lightly planted tank. It would either be 2215 or 2217 if you want to stay with the classic eheim. They have quick disconnect hoses that you can change the outflow on if its too much
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
SwimmingDragon
Algae Grower

I just realised the dimension were wrong in the first post. The tank is 165 liters as I say, or 43 gallons. Thats why I though a 2213, would be alright because it specifies that its good for up to 66 gallon tanks. I had an addition 10 inches added on my specs in the first post. Woops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.