10 Gallon Tank on a Very Tight Budget - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #16
LilGreenMan
Algae Grower
 
LilGreenMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Hmm, razor blade might be a bit risky. Don't want to scratch the glass. Thanks for the suggestion though
LilGreenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #17
JustAGuy716
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madison WI
Posts: 42
Default

Do a search for plastic / nylon pan scrapers on google or amazon. The ones I have are
Amazon.com: Lodge SCRAPERPK Durable Polycarbonate Pan Scrapers, Red and Black, 2-Pack: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Lodge SCRAPERPK Durable Polycarbonate Pan Scrapers, Red and Black, 2-Pack: Home & Kitchen

They cut through everything, and are totally glass safe
JustAGuy716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #18
LilGreenMan
Algae Grower
 
LilGreenMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGuy716 View Post
Do a search for plastic / nylon pan scrapers on google or amazon. The ones I have are Amazon.com: Lodge SCRAPERPK Durable Polycarbonate Pan Scrapers, Red and Black, 2-Pack: Home & Kitchen

They cut through everything, and are totally glass safe
Cool, didn't know these things existed. I'll shop around to see if I can buy any from a local store, or wait until I have $25 worth of stuff to buy from amazon to save on shipping. Thanks!
LilGreenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
lochaber
Wannabe Guru
 
lochaber's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenMan View Post
@ lochaber: I have a filter and lots and lots of substrate, no heater (since I can keep the room temperature a steady 22-23C or 72-73F, I'm still debating whether or not to buy one), for hardscape I'll buy or find some driftwood. I'll read up more on fishless cycling and I'll be sure to keep a watch on my plexiglass lid. Thanks!
Sounds good, you may need to pay attention to which fish you get, and your tank may be a little slower to cycle, but that sounds like it's the right range for plenty of fish. If you do decide to get a heater, try to get one of the better ones (unfortunately, this will probably one of the more expensive aspects)

And as MamaFish said, plants will take up a lot of ammonia, and completely bypass the nitrogen cycle. Floaters are great for this, and you can thin them out/remove them as the rest of your plants grow in.

I'd try finding your own driftwood. Find a water body near you and go for a hike. I've had good luck using google maps to scan looking for areas with lots of driftwood. Just try to pick something that looks like it's been dead, exposed, and weathered for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenMan View Post
My dad is having some trouble with the brown algae that's really hard to scrub from the glass. Are there any products that are good for removing that type of algae? I've looked into ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp and that is something I'm considering.
A lot of people talk about the Mr. Clean Eraser (original). I haven't used it on a tank yet, but I did pick up a pack. I think it's just a really fine melamine foam, and simply abrades stuff off.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
LilGreenMan
Algae Grower
 
LilGreenMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Sounds good, you may need to pay attention to which fish you get, and your tank may be a little slower to cycle, but that sounds like it's the right range for plenty of fish. If you do decide to get a heater, try to get one of the better ones (unfortunately, this will probably one of the more expensive aspects)

And as MamaFish said, plants will take up a lot of ammonia, and completely bypass the nitrogen cycle. Floaters are great for this, and you can thin them out/remove them as the rest of your plants grow in.

I'd try finding your own driftwood. Find a water body near you and go for a hike. I've had good luck using google maps to scan looking for areas with lots of driftwood. Just try to pick something that looks like it's been dead, exposed, and weathered for quite a while.



A lot of people talk about the Mr. Clean Eraser (original). I haven't used it on a tank yet, but I did pick up a pack. I think it's just a really fine melamine foam, and simply abrades stuff off.
My dad and I are going to swap tanks, since he has 5 fish in his 8gal and I was going to put 1 in my 10gal. Now I get to aquascape 2 tanks, JACKPOT!

Meanwhile I'll keep my eye on the water temperature as the seasons change to see if i'll need a heater.

I love the look of hornwort and frogbit and I'll definitely be getting some of those for my tanks. I have a couple ideas for where to find some driftwood, I just hope I don't care too carried away and bring home a log!

Please let me know if the Mr. Clean Erasers work; it's a much cheaper and more versatile alternative to the plastic scraper.

Thanks so much for the great advice!
LilGreenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
caoder
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 113
Default

razor blades or just scrub it with the green scrubbers. they work well for glass aquariums.
caoder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #22
LilGreenMan
Algae Grower
 
LilGreenMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoder View Post
razor blades or just scrub it with the green scrubbers. they work well for glass aquariums.
Can you please specify what green scrubbers you are referring to? If you mean scrubbers for washing dishes, I've tried that on my 10gal tank and it left some ugly scratches on the glass, good thing I had the foresight to try it out in the corner first.
LilGreenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
caoder
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 113
Default

yea, i use them on my glass tanks, i haven't had any issues with scratches. The kind that are on the back of sponges.
caoder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
LilGreenMan
Algae Grower
 
LilGreenMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoder View Post
yea, i use them on my glass tanks, i haven't had any issues with scratches. The kind that are on the back of sponges.
Oh, you mean the ones with the green abrasive side and the yellow sponge side? I'll try those right now.
LilGreenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #25
LilGreenMan
Algae Grower
 
LilGreenMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Dish scrubs (with green abrasive side and yellow sponge side) leaves the lightest of scratches on the glass. Only saw them until i turned a light onto the tank.
__________________
LilGreenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Tetranerd
Planted Member
 
Tetranerd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carson City, MI
Posts: 203
Default Re: 10 Gallon Tank on a Very Tight Budget

Mr Clean scrubbers work really well to get the green spot algae off tank walls without scratching.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Tetranerd
_____________________
RAOK Club #83
My 90 Gallon tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...414&highlight=
Tetranerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
craigee2199
Algae Grower
 
craigee2199's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chepachet, RI
Posts: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to craigee2199
Default

The side of a credit card or one of those plastic, store given cards works really well as a scraper. It might take a few swipes for stubborn algae, but it works and no worry of scratches.
craigee2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
LilGreenMan
Algae Grower
 
LilGreenMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigee2199 View Post
The side of a credit card or one of those plastic, store given cards works really well as a scraper. It might take a few swipes for stubborn algae, but it works and no worry of scratches.
Great idea! An excellent, cheap alternative; I like it. Thanks!
LilGreenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycling, low tech lighting, low tech tank set up, planted tank how to

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012