best shops in RI? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Rhode Island

Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie6989 View Post
Aqua Life in providence is been around for awhile. I been going there for over 25 + years. The owners, George and Irene are both very nice people. If you are looking for plants and the equipment to run them, They have plenty of all that. In this store you will find exotic fish and plants from around the world. If you dont see what you are looking for....just ask and maybe they can get there hands on what you are looking for. As some one said pricey, I do not think so, You get what you pay for. I am the type of guy that will not buy from a Petco or Petsmart because I do not buy my plant that are in a plastic bag sitting on a self. And there fish are ran on a main filtration system that effects all tanks tied to that system.

Ronnie
def true, idk why anyone would think they r expensive? they usually have better prices on fish at least, then petcos or most lfs.
marioman72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

They are slightly more expensive on some things, but do have good prices on some stuff too. But any retail location is going to be more expensive when compared to an online resource or big box store. But there is something you get with their store that you will not get other places; Great personal service. Their stock is pretty healthy. And they maintain their tanks well. I don't think I've ever seen a dead fish in there.
They are friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and will try to talk you out of stuff if they do not think it is a good idea for your tank (over stocking or compatibility issues. And they will explain why). They will go out of their way to help you out and will occasionally give you deals on stuff if you frequent the shop. They can get just about what ever you want if you ask.
Not to mention that you are keeping your money in your community, not adding to the profits of share holders that don't really care about the quality of the service of of the livestock.
They also support the Tropical Fish society of Rhode Island.
The few extra bucks you might spend is well worth it in my opinion.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I stop buying from Aqua Life, stuff they sell I can get it online for less.
I'm in this hobby to save not to spend. Their discus price are crazy high.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
if i can buy locally i will always buy it, i dont trust buying online stresses fish out a lot :/
marioman72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
redpaulhus
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
this is why the small mom-and-pop shops are disappearing.
If we don't support the local stores, there will no longer be local stores.
redpaulhus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was just at Aqualife and I have to say im 50/50 on them. They have a lot of plants but most of them are the same type spread out through their system. They also have a lot of plants that have holes or are otherwise unhealthy. There is also a lack of aquascaping materials every time I go there. They are probably the only place in RI that carries any decent driftwood but most of the time the boxes are empty. If you are planning to go I would go on a weekday if you can because they are super packed on the weekends and you can literally wait an hour and not get helped. I went to buy driftwood this weekend and had some in hand but could not get rung out so I just put it back and left.

That being said Aqualife is probably the best LFS (at least for fresh) in RI which is somewhat sad. They have the best selection of fish by far but some of their prices are high and you can forget about dry goods .. . . . super expensive. The poster above me commented on the great service but tbh I get better service from Marinedepot or someone like Gordon on the swap forums and I get a better price so thats why I find myself just ordering online more and more.
Qwedfg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #22
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

They do have driftwood in that little back room off to the right. Thats where i got my couple of pieces, but yeah ive been in there a good hr before i was able to be checked out. So typically i avoid the weekends and later in the day. Luckily i get off work at 130pm so i can get in there around 2 if i need to go. Im new enough in this hobby that ive bought no fish or plants online. But what i have checked its like $30-$50 to mail anything live. So whether there prices are a bit higher or not i can save on shipping. Any Rhode Islanders have any plants for sale????
tattooedfool83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #23
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
They do have driftwood in that little back room off to the right. Thats where i got my couple of pieces, but yeah ive been in there a good hr before i was able to be checked out. So typically i avoid the weekends and later in the day. Luckily i get off work at 130pm so i can get in there around 2 if i need to go. Im new enough in this hobby that ive bought no fish or plants online. But what i have checked its like $30-$50 to mail anything live. So whether there prices are a bit higher or not i can save on shipping. Any Rhode Islanders have any plants for sale????
I would check with the former "power sellers" they always have the best stuff at the best prices. I have a very good experience with the seller Gordon and have heard good things about H4N.

I think I paid 7-10 dollars shipping from Gordon last time I got plants. If you order when its fairly warm you can get 2 day priority shipping in a flat rate box which is pretty cheap and the plants get through fine.

As far as local people, I have not had any luck with freshwater. There is a pretty decent saltwater community in southern NE but all of the plant clubs are pretty dead it seems. Sometimes you can snag some freshwater gear on Boston Reefers at a good price.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Im starting to see cruising the forums that Rhode ISland and NEw england at that seem pretty stagnant with freshwater people. Most the websites for new england have been updated in a quite awhile. BUt thanks ill defiantly check the two people out you had said.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
They also support the Tropical Fish society of Rhode Island.

Does the Tropical Fish Society of RI meet anymore? The last post on the forums was Oct 2012....

Pretty sad if it totally died. How is it not possible to get a BRS style club together for people who enjoy planted tanks in Southern NE?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #26
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I wish i knew, im so new to the hobby that if it wasnt for the internet id be lost. It would be nice to have a local club that i could suck information from.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
rhody9
Algae Grower

I went to the TFSRI auction last month. It was great. Tons of nice fish, equipment and, some plants (not a lot). I did manage to pick up some subwassertang, and dwarf water lettuce. (The lettuce is out of control but thats another story lol). I only stayed for 3 hours and they still had half of the stuf to get through. If I ever start a cichlid tank I will wait until that aution is near, lots of large/small/pairs/variety going for dirt cheap. There were some cool plecos too but they got bid up pretty quick (goldstar, zebra etc)
rhody9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Nice, so they have these often?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
rhody9
Algae Grower

Twice a year March and Sept. This was my first time going.
rhody9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhody9 View Post
Twice a year March and Sept. This was my first time going.
How do you find out about these meetings? The website is pretty useless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.