Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 143
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #2131
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos

Well I got my regulator and the hookup for the tank is on the right it has HP on the back now on the right it has a smaller hookup for a hose I guess this one has LP on it. I take it these mean High Pressure an Low Pressure. Where would I hookup the needle valve to with the bubble counter? You see if I hook into the LP port with the needle valve the bubble counter will be side ways making it useless. Can I switch around the gauges to the right ports,(LP n HP) so when I hookup the needle valve the bubble counter will be straight up n down?

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd7762c1a.jpg
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #2132
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Well I got my regulator and the hookup for the tank is on the right it has HP on the back now on the right it has a smaller hookup for a hose I guess this one has LP on it. I take it these mean High Pressure an Low Pressure.
If looking at your regulator right side up (not upside down), the right hand side with the CGA320 nut and nipple is the high pressure inlet, and the low pressure outlet is at the 7 o'clock position.

Quote:
Where would I hookup the needle valve to with the bubble counter? You see if I hook into the LP port with the needle valve the bubble counter will be side ways making it useless.
On the low pressure outlet...

You can use elbows so that a mountable bubble counter can be used.

Quote:
Can I switch around the gauges to the right ports,(LP n HP) so when I hookup the needle valve the bubble counter will be straight up n down?
I am not sure what you are proposing here. How would switching the gauges around do anything? In any case, the needle valve can only go in the low pressure outlet, not the high pressure inlet, the high pressure gauge port, nor the low pressure gauge port.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #2133
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What's the difference between 2 n 3 way solieniods with 2 position?

If I get a solieniod with co2/air hose hookups I can change those out for brass fittings or just mt my needle valve on one side and then mt it to the regulator on the other side without the hose right?

If u look in the pic the solieniod has compression fittings for a hose on each end.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps4ad998d2.jpg

Last edited by newbieplanter; 03-04-2013 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: More info
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #2134
Darkblade48

Quote:
What's the difference between 2 n 3 way solieniods with 2 position?
Google is your friend.

http://www.solenoidsolutionsinc.com/solenoid-valves/

Quote:
If I get a solieniod with co2/air hose hookups I can change those out for brass fittings or just mt my needle valve on one side and then mt it to the regulator on the other side without the hose right?

If u look in the pic the solieniod has compression fittings for a hose on each end.
You can replace the compression fittings with brass fittings if you want. You can also use the compression fittings that come with that solenoid, but you will have to run some tubing between parts, which may not look as nice.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #2135
Wald-o

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Paintball Co2 Injection DIY (My Setup)

Passing by to thank Jaggedfury and show my Co2 tank setup. I just followed his instructions.

-20 oz. Co2 tank (Amazon 21$)
-ASA Valve (Ebay 15$)
-Swagelok and (Ebay ~20$)
-Gas Tube Parts (Local Plumbing Store ~10$)
-Connectors and tubing ( Home Depot 2$, 2$, 5$)
-Teflon (had some laying around)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank S.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	103106  

Wald-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #2136
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald-o View Post
Passing by to thank Jaggedfury and show my Co2 tank setup. I just followed his instructions.

-20 oz. Co2 tank (Amazon 21$)
-ASA Valve (Ebay 15$)
-Swagelok and (Ebay ~20$)
-Gas Tube Parts (Local Plumbing Store ~10$)
-Connectors and tubing ( Home Depot 2$, 2$, 5$)
-Teflon (had some laying around)
Saweeeeet set up man looks great. Do u have the item number for the needle valve?

SS-OVM2-A looks a little better although tha Cv is a little high.

The one thing I'm thinking is if a solieniod can be hooked to this DIY set up, but anywho let us know how she's working for ya?

Last edited by newbieplanter; 03-12-2013 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: More to add
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #2137
Wald-o

Quote:
Saweeeeet set up man looks great. Do u have the item number for the needle valve?
Swagelok B-1RS4 is the needle valve you see in the picture.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #2138
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hi all!
So I looked up Waldo's needle valve on eBay- it's listed as only having a cv of .38 which from what I understand is way too high for a small aquarium. You would need something with finer adjustments.
But looking online I noticed most high pressure valves don't even list cv.
How are you supposed to tell what the cv is on most valves?

And I'm interested in Waldo's setup- how well does it work? Can you get a nice 2-3bpm? I have the same exact setup minus that valve.
scags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #2139
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Probably the best way would be to take the part number and go to the Swagelok site and find the PDF.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #2140
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scags View Post
And I'm interested in Waldo's setup- how well does it work? Can you get a nice 2-3bpm? I have the same exact setup minus that valve.
For 2-3 bubbles per minute (1 bubble every 20-30 seconds), you will need a much finer metering valve.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #2141
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
For 2-3 bubbles per minute (1 bubble every 20-30 seconds), you will need a much finer metering valve.
Thanks Darkblade!
Thats what I was assuming which is why I asked.

Thanks creekbottom, I was hoping to avoid the pdf route. Makes me wonder why the cv is not readily available on many of the valves I see online- maybe not as important for most applications I guess.
Plus these valves are rather sparse on [Ebay Link Removed] And the ones that are on there are pretty vague about the details.
scags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #2142
Wald-o

[QUOTE=scags;2799594]

For that type of precision you should look into the high pressure needle valves, which are the swagelok 31 series.
Those have a flow coefficient starting at 0.04, you will pay top dollar for that type of valve. Which doesn't make sense when we are going this route to save money practically.
I'm curious to know what you want 2-3 bubble per minute, thats equivalent to having no Co2 (unless you have a 1 gallon tank or less)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #2143
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

[quote=Wald-o;2801594]
Quote:
For that type of precision you should look into the high pressure needle valves, which are the swagelok 31 series. You will pay top dollar for that type of valve. Which doesn't make sense when we are going this route to save money practically.
Another way to save money is to use a Co2 pressurized kit which uses citric acid + sodium bicarbonate in pepsi bottles.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #2144
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[quote=Wald-o;2801594]
Quote:

For that type of precision you should look into the high pressure needle valves, which are the swagelok 31 series.
Those have a flow coefficient starting at 0.04, you will pay top dollar for that type of valve. Which doesn't make sense when we are going this route to save money practically.
I'm curious to know what you want 2-3 bubble per minute, thats equivalent to having no Co2 (unless you have a 1 gallon tank or less)
My thing is if you can take the valve (B-1RS4) he has an get the 2-3 bubbles what's the problem?

Hilde: it will cost more in the long run to keep doin the DIY yeast an sugar I only know cuz that's what I'm running now I think it stinks but it does work and when u have a bigger tank u need more 1-2L bottles so it wount look good next to your tank its also not a good quality I think anyway plus the mixes aren't as consistent as a CO2, regulator set up.

Either way your gonna pay that's why I say go for what you know!

Last edited by newbieplanter; 03-12-2013 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: More to add
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #2145
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/98%)

sometimes I think this thread needs to be locked and let it sink, don't know if anyone agree.

this paintball flow type valve setup is too much trouble to play with, 800 psi is on the "needle valve" that use for water and with crap precision. There is not too much information or caution on what psi rating of the fittings or valves to be used. most of the water "needle valves" and brass fittings I see in this thread are 300 max working pressure that use on water line.....

It is very excited to have a such paintball setup built, and post pictures, but how many of you keep using it for more than a year?
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote