Reccomend a dog for my family - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #76
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have two "pitbull" dogs. (While not really a breed, but a general classification, they are still very unique).

They are playful when I want them to be, sleepy when they need to be, and all around very aware of their energy levels. Great dogs, great temperament, and my best friends.

That said you could also consider a good working breed, such as a shepherd. I have a lab/shep mix that is plenty high energy when we're playing, but is just as content to lay at my feet or rest his head in my lap while I stare at the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #77
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Personally, I'm a small breed person but my 12 pound silky terrier's best friend growing up was a white female pitbull. My terrier is just not very dog friendly but for some reason she just adored this dog.

The pit's owner was a young guy who was a special ed teacher and he spent a lot of time training her so that he could bring her to school from time to time as a sort of therapy dog. She was such a sweetheart. Sadly, she passed away a few years ago after living out a full life.

My dog is now 13 yrs old and has never been as friendly with another dog as she was with this pit. And I have another dog myself - a Havanese - and they are not best friends!

Good luck with your new family addition.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #78
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I'm probably going to get flamed seeing how many suggestions for pitbulls there were, but they should (IMO) be the last on the list for a family dog. (And a Chow? Really?) FAR too much of a chance of them hurting a child. Sure sure, there are great pits out there, but you never know what you'll get when finding a pit at a shelter. Every person I know who has owned one says they were the best dog they had, but the numbers and my personal experience tell another story. There is just way too much of a chance of something horrible to risk it. A golden retriever or collie would make a much better family pet.

I'm not a pitbull hating bandwagon rider, but I certainly won't trust any as far as I can throw it. I've seen to many "nice" pits bite kids to make it worth owning one. Luckily there appear to be many extremely helpful folks here who have experience with more "aggressive" breeds that can guide you to successful ownership. Best of luck with your new family member.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #79
boosted23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Reccomend a dog for my family

A good family dog that would be non aggressive, quite entertaining to watch and quite smelly though is an olde english bulldog. They dont have the genetic issues like english bulldogs and they are skinnier and more nimble. I have one and she is awsome. Great with kids and other dogs. She is a goof ball too.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #80
boosted23
Algae Grower

Here is my olde english.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363224446169.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	104306  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363224460122.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	104314  

Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #81
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
.....but you never know what you'll get when finding a pit at a shelter..... There is just way too much of a chance of something horrible to risk it.
I won't flame you I will agree with this part. I wouldn't limit that to Pits.

The think people always leave out when talking about family dog choices that is more important than the breed is the FAMILY. I do private in-home dog training at least most call it that. What I really do is train the people. In my experience there are no bad dogs of any breed but there are many owner/families that are train wrecks.

Outside of a dog having neurological problems all dog bites stem from some human's irresponsible action. There is no such thing as an accident.

I will "toast" you a little. Dogs are not aggressive based on breed or type alone. Any breed can be dominate to passive based on situation and individual temperament. Also a dog's behavior is not good or bad, it's acceptable or unacceptable based on situation.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #82
kimboden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Black labs are great dogs. Smart and sweet. Get a mix at a shelter you will have a friend for life.
I have owned Pitt bulls in the past. If i were to get another out would never be a female. The male (Clyde) was great. So smart and loyal. Then we got our female (Bonnie) she was hard headed and unruly. Still sweet and loyal but stubborn and didn't like anything smaller then her.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #83
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

As a general statement FEMALES are easier to train than males. Go to an Obedience trial or an Agility meet it's hard too even find male dogs entered and they are seldom the high point dogs.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #84
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
As a general statement FEMALES are easier to train than males. Go to an Obedience trial or an Agility meet it's hard too even find male dogs entered and they are seldom the high point dogs.
funny, i've always found females to be... well... more prone to being... bitches, and male dogs more docile.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #85
keep_on_keepin_on
Algae Grower

Our friends have a few goldendoodles that are just like people. They just had a litter yesterday & we are first in line for one of the girls
Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #86
thelub

I just had a nice reply and I screwed it up.

I won't argue you Dogfish. You obviously have WAY more experience with dogs than I ever will. Getting an animal of any kind from a shelter/pound is always a crap shoot. But I gotta believe those odds have to go up when it comes to a pit or other "aggressive" breed (I use that term loosely).

I just think there are a lot of other breeds that are more loveable, friendly and family safe than a pitbull. I personally know several that were "the best" but ended having to be put down because they bit a kid or multiple adults. And they were well cared for. I'd be willing to bet if you did a random survey anywhere in america you'd get similar results. I will admit pits have been (mostly) unfairly targeted as an "evil" breed, but there are some truths to that stigma. I'm sure there are a couple bad apple golden retrievers, but the odds speak volumes otherwise.

IMVHO pitbulls aren't a family dog. They can be great pets and companions, just not worth having around children. I will always love my children more than a dog. Period. And it would be a shame to put another animal down just because it was put into a situation where it could potentially harm an innocent child.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #87
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:

I won't argue you Dogfish. You obviously have WAY more experience with dogs than I ever will. Getting an animal of any kind from a shelter/pound is always a crap shoot. But I gotta believe those odds have to go up when it comes to a pit or other "aggressive" breed (I use that term loosely).

I just think there are a lot of other breeds that are more loveable, friendly and family safe than a pitbull. I personally know several that were "the best" but ended having to be put down because they bit a kid or multiple adults. And they were well cared for. I'd be willing to bet if you did a random survey anywhere in america you'd get similar results. I will admit pits have been (mostly) unfairly targeted as an "evil" breed, but there are some truths to that stigma. I'm sure there are a couple bad apple golden retrievers, but the odds speak volumes otherwise.

IMVHO pitbulls aren't a family dog. They can be great pets and companions, just not worth having around children. I will always love my children more than a dog. Period. And it would be a shame to put another animal down just because it was put into a situation where it could potentially harm an innocent child.
all of the pits I've met have been the sweetest dogs I've met. some are overbearingly sweet. the reason pits get such a bad rap is that they're a dime a dozen, incredibly loyal, easy to train to be bad, and cheap.

don't blame the dog, blame the monsters that screw them up.

my son is regularly around a pit, he's 1.5, the pit... not sure, but still very young. she knocks him down with kisses. I wouldn't bat an eye at getting a pit.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 AM   #88
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Don't ya just hate when that happens.

Let's try a different approach, there are easier dog breeds to train yes. Field/sporting breeds and Herding Breeds were designed to work closely with humans. They are genetically designed that way.

BUT, it always gets down to the HUMAN element.

In all of your bite stories the human involved did or didn't do something that enabled that bite to happen. Personal responsibility is a rare commodity in our society today.

You can go to the CDC website for dog bite statistics. Much more accurate than friend of friend type stories that always get better each time they are told.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #89
thelub

I just gotta say its nice to be part of a conversation about a pretty hotly debated topic and it hasn't derailed. Lots of opinions both sides and its still civil.

to everybody in this thread
Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #90
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I have 3 dogs:
-pitbull/lab mutt
-purebred cocker spaniel
-shih-poo

my pit is almost always full of energy and even though she is extremely social and good with people, she is too busy and i dont like her running around when we have small kids over.

my cocker was a great family dog growing up, and i definitely recommend them. (even though shes a total ***** now that shes ~9yo)

<--- my shih-poo is the best dog I have ever owned. even though he is small and not a manly dog, or expecially hyper/fun to play with, i would choose him over my pit any day. he is great with all ages and doesnt shed! I never thought I would want a small dog (my dad bought the cocker without anyone elses opinions lol) but after having him, I dont think i will go back to a large dog.

i realize you want a large dog, but dont look past the little guys, bc my shih poo buddha has stolen my heart.

but to play along, if I got a big dog for my family I would choose a german shepard, boxer, pit, or even a terrier/hunting dog

also, take a look into rescuing a grey hound. great trained dogs.
Closed Thread