Unusual Betta Fins?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Unusual Betta Fins?

I picked up this cutie at the LFS, (was listed as "Double Tail Betta"-$6.99).
Held him up to another fish, and he flared up into this beautiful Halfmoon. (Sold!)
Upon closer inspection, I noticed 2 curlicue rays coming off of either side of his anal skirt fin. They are not part of the fin array, but appear to be extras.
They follow his color pattern, and don't interfere in any way with swimming.

I named him "Captain Hook".

Has any one seen this before? Does it have a name? Good, bad or faulty?
These are the best pics I could get with this camera:

Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Unusual Betta Fins?

Wow I must say that is one pretty betta

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Can't answer your question, but you've got yourself a beauty. Congrats.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Unusual Betta Fins?

That is one sweet fish. As far as the fins go, @marko@ would know. Might want to send him a PM.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you, I thought he was pretty. I have to say, he is nicer than one of the ones I got from Thailand AB, paid an arm and a leg for, and waited almost 2 months.
I think I have been bit by the betta bug pretty hard.

Lurking in Local Pet Stores Betta Isles...

Bred my Delta Tail, Jazz, and have about 100 fry I am raising for a dry (wet) run to see what mistakes and success I encounter. (so far, so good-they are 9 days old-no casualties)

Neglecting my work...

The fish's hygiene is beginning to rival my own...

Also, I have been lurking on Markos Mustard Gas Thread, and following his babies progress. (His camera rocks!)
I will try to drop him a PM. I haven't seen curlicues before, unless the whole fish had them-like Crowntails.
-Stef*
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
tekkguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

That is one beautiful petstore fish ... but yes, the "extra" fins appear to be a deformity. You wouldn't want to breed him for a show.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

no need to pm me. i noticed the thread.

he is not a double tail, though his large dorsal fin suggests the possibility of him being a het for it.
i do not say any 'extra fins'. are you reffering to the rays that are curled to one side of the fish? that is just ray curling, its not harmful and just happens. its not genetic but rather environmental, though people arent sure what causes it. some say hard water, others say temperature. its rarely seen in non-crowntails, because if rays curl, the direction is pretty random, so if one tries to curl left, and its neighbor tries to curl right, the webbing connecting them pulls them both right back. but crowntails lack this webbing and so they are much more prone to curling.
here is a curled CT: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-3FxoS1UsOE/TB...0/P1080538.JPG
see the fishhooks on the rays? thats ray curling. i had one CT who developed corkscrews on some of his rays, however for the first 3 months, his rays were perfect; it developed over time. each curled ray is a fault in the IBC shows, but its not hereditary.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
tekkguy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
no need to pm me. i noticed the thread.

he is not a double tail, though his large dorsal fin suggests the possibility of him being a het for it.
i do not say any 'extra fins'. are you reffering to the rays that are curled to one side of the fish? that is just ray curling, its not harmful and just happens. its not genetic but rather environmental, though people arent sure what causes it. some say hard water, others say temperature. its rarely seen in non-crowntails, because if rays curl, the direction is pretty random, so if one tries to curl left, and its neighbor tries to curl right, the webbing connecting them pulls them both right back. but crowntails lack this webbing and so they are much more prone to curling.
here is a curled CT: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-3FxoS1UsOE/TB...0/P1080538.JPG
see the fishhooks on the rays? thats ray curling. i had one CT who developed corkscrews on some of his rays, however for the first 3 months, his rays were perfect; it developed over time. each curled ray is a fault in the IBC shows, but its not hereditary.
Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the OP, she's not talking about curling at all.

She appears to be talking about an "extra fin" that I highlighted below in the picture. That's not curling.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you Marko, for noticing this thread

The ray(s) in question are in the center on the lower anal fin. ( I tried to get as close up as the camera would allow)
They are doubled over (over-lapping) the existing rays. Like, if I would take a set of nail clippers and trim them off, there would be no gaps. (I wouldn't do this, although my grooming fingers are itchy looking at it) They are symmetrical in their curling on both sides, and no other curly rays.

The second photo shows it springing out. If I removed it, (again, I wouldn't) it would leave no holes in the fin. Maybe better conditions then what he was in might relax it in time? I know he's not a double tail. Maybe someone was a little hung over after Chinese New Year and labeled him wrong at the fish factory.

tekkguy: I can't show him? Oh, Poo.
Guess I gotten return the Jeri Curl Kit.
Because I like the unusual, and besides being a weirdo, I would like to see if this mutation would show up in a spawn. But, it may disappear or something in time, and I got my hands full with a bigger fish to fry...er...breed. (Giant Betta)

-Stef*
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

YES Tekkguy!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for highlighting!
I didn't know how.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
tekkguy
Planted Member

I didn't say you can't show him (although he's a petstore fish, so ...), but it is a deformity - the way you describe it, and the way it looks to me, it's actually extra fins. I would think that would be genetic and not some sort of weird growth or injury since it's so symmetrical on both sides, so breeding could pass it on.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

But...but...the curls are a perfect 180 spread!

No, I would not show him. I can't trace his history, and for all I know he has lionfish in his background.
Being it is so symmetrical, I kinda came to the same conclusion as you.
Just never seen it before.
-Stef*
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i didnt notice that before. its very unsual. a single ray, unconnected to the rest. and there is another one on the opposite side? very strange.
its the equivalent of a minor birth defect, like an extra digit or something. but whether its environmental or genetic i have no clue. if you have time/room, perhaps breed him to a similar looking female (cuz why not preserve the nice caudal and coloration), and then breed one of the daughters back to him. if you dont see any of that in either generation, its likely an environmental accidental occurrence. if you do, and it is likely genetic, that could be a big thing. imagine getting bettas with 3 parallel anal fins, and then eventually getting it to spread to the other fins. a triple finned HM fish, perhaps with some amount of transparcy in the fins so that you can see the other fins flowing through the first one in view, thats something people would pay to own. i suspect more than one breeder would be willing to try and develop such a strain.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
tekkguy
Planted Member

I would think if it's a birth defect "like an extra digit" that it's awfully strange for him to have one exactly the same on both sides. Like a birthmark, same shape, both shoulders.

Stef, if you do breed him to test it out ... send me one! He's still awesome, and I could care less about show standards!