Opinions needed on college major - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
Go for the money. While there is something to be said about going to school for something you really enjoy, it's going to be tough to enjoy it when you graduate and have 6 months to find a job before your student loan bills start coming in. You probably won't find a lot of available jobs in marine sciences.
Agreed. Also: go for something you're good at. I don't care how much you love something, if you arent good at it you're never going to succeed. Just because you enjoy keeping fish and tanks does not mean that you will succeed as a biologist; tailor your major to whatever you are skilled at academically.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
thanks for your part in destroying whats left of the algo-riddled farce of a (cough) "market". Two computers trying to out churn and quote stuff each other is not a "market" .... its a video game, that the large brokerage house use to skim "the muppets" (aka Joe Q public) from their money. thank you Zerohedge and Nanex for shining the light on this particular scam.

I would recommend avoiding anything connected with what we call "modern finance and banking" since its all an over leverage, rigged, and manipulated farce whose days are numbered.
Stop reading zero hedge....let me guess, you have stacks of silver buried around your property, you purchased 12 unnecessary guns and you probably have bags of rice in the basement for when the economic collapse is coming.

And FYI: no, the markets are not only run by algos. Actually the bigger trades are still done manually by a human. If you throw a large trade into the market via an algo then you'll be in for a surprise when everyone picks your algo apart.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

PILLOW FIGHT
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #19
Tank Man
Algae Grower

I am really interested in economics, it is not just some random pick. As of now I am leaning more towards finance so I would be able to do more with the money I actually make. As cocky as this sounds I know I am not dumb, I pick up on things easily so I could pretty much go in any direction. The biggest limitation I have is money. I have already skipped a year after HS (helped parents with bills) and I am just about to buy a car... The plan is to do two years of community college and then transfer out.

Any thoughts on getting a better job once I have a car and then taking just a few night classes while I decide what direction to actually go in?

55 Tank Journal
Tank Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #20
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Man View Post
I am really interested in economics, it is not just some random pick. As of now I am leaning more towards finance so I would be able to do more with the money I actually make. As cocky as this sounds I know I am not dumb, I pick up on things easily so I could pretty much go in any direction. The biggest limitation I have is money. I have already skipped a year after HS (helped parents with bills) and I am just about to buy a car... The plan is to do two years of community college and then transfer out.

Any thoughts on getting a better job once I have a car and then taking just a few night classes while I decide what direction to actually go in?
If you did well in high school attend an accredited community college, see if you are eligible for the presidents scholarship. if you are take it, get an associates in the sciences, Job searching will be much easier with atleast an associates under your belt. Immediately after you get your associates you need to transfer to a university and get your bachelors though. If you do well in community college you'll likely be able to get some form of scholarship at a state university
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Man View Post

You can learn as much from YouTube and Google then you will paying for night classes.

Everyone is broke when they are young. It's just part of being young.

Find something you like to do, start at the bottom and ask the people above you what classes, if any, would really help. You can follow your passions and be financial successful at the same time. How about owning your own aquaculture fish farm some day ?

Getting rich only takes one simple rule. Spend less than you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Stop reading zero hedge....let me guess, you have stacks of silver buried around your property, you purchased 12 unnecessary guns and you probably have bags of rice in the basement for when the economic collapse is coming.

And FYI: no, the markets are not only run by algos. Actually the bigger trades are still done manually by a human. If you throw a large trade into the market via an algo then you'll be in for a surprise when everyone picks your algo apart.
Hmmm, I really should rip this to shreads with a page long referenced linked retort, but dont feel like it.

I guess I could point out how 70% of volume on the NYSE is algo computers, or the mulitude of "flash crashes" over the last 2 years, or the Knight Capital blow up where they loaded up the wrong algo program and lost half a billion in 45 mins, or how total NYSE volumes are at decade lows, or how Goldman Sachs execs constantly get caught betting against clients, or how when the DOW is adjusted for inflation against other stuff it is nowhere near all time highs, or about 200 other things ....... but I should stop reading Zerohedge and keep watching E-trade baby trader commercials .........

If you dont understand how over leveraged, insolvent and vulnerable the industry you work in is and how it is only floating on trillions of QE money pumping ....... well you've got some nice surprises in store.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes everyone, lets argue and make claims that regardless of truth or lack thereof will result in the thread being closed, if you want to argue take it to pm. Your argument is not relevant at all to the OP's question.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #23
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Yes everyone, lets argue and make claims that regardless of truth or lack thereof will result in the thread being closed, if you want to argue take it to pm. Your argument is not relevant at all to the OP's question.
exactly
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Of course you're right, and also welcome to google any of above claims to verify truth. hopefully one or two people might .........
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Nambroth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)

Are you genuinely passionate about your future career/college choices?
Will you lose interest?
Are you dedicated to the idea of working in that field?
Do you have the self-discipline to follow what you love, even if life tries to toss every hurdle in your path?
Are you okay with living simply (this is a polite way of saying you might be poor), at least for a while?
Are you willing to take crummy, non-related jobs as necessary, temporarily?
Are you willing to move to where someone in your field is needed?

Answer these questions thoughtfully and honestly.

Following one's passions as a career is often hard. It's hard work, it takes discipline, and a lot of determination. Most people will tell you you can't. And you know, many people actually can't. The lack of drive and discipline knocks a lot of people out of the game. Hurdles and failures knock most of the rest out. A lot of people won't want you to succeed, for various reasons. Most people get slapped with a lot of failures and setbacks when they follow dreams and sparse jobs. It can be a very emotional blow, in addition to a financial one.

Is it worth it to you?

It was to me. I live simply because I don't make much, and I probably never will make much money... but I have never been happier.

On the other hand, if this is just a hobby that you are really keen on, but don't know if it's a lifelong drive, think carefully. You have to love what you do, really love it, maybe to the level that other people would think is a bit nutty, in order to get anywhere.

Food for thought.