Super Petz, no longer what it was...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Virginia

Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
secuono
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/96%)
Unhappy

Super Petz, no longer what it was...

Well, as most know, Super Petz in Annandale, VA moved awhile back. They are now in an even more traffic heck hole than they were. They are also in a very tiny, narrow, yet long section in a strip mall.
We went out there to see the birds, frogs, fish and plants to only find a skeleton of a store. It is NOT worth wasting your time or stress to go there...
There are two tanks, very crappy plants, even worst looking left over fish. Two tanks of scarce frogs, a couple reptiles that are grossly underweight and unhealthy. Most of the birds are not for sale, most of the repts and other animals are also not for sale. Many of the mice looked sickly.
They had many guinea pigs, like always. Also a lot of "lionhead" rabbits, I put them in quotes because they are terribly bred, massive in size and their fur is more of angora rabbits. [[I breed rabbits, so I know about them, plus, the
Lionhead is my favorite, used to breed them years ago.]] They are a good 7-8 pounds when they should be 3-5lbs adults...They do look healthy, clear eyes and noses, so that's good.
Their big ol parrot is such an @ss! He charges and snaps at people who walk too close and he stares you down with evil intentions if you look at him.

Positives....a thousand times less cluttered and very quiet.
But...almost no variaty, no fish, no plants, very few animals for sale. No more countless aquariums, no more countless fish and plants. It's nothing like the store used to be and I would not recomend it to anyone at all any more. Big box stores have a better selection. I would tell people to go to Maru Pets in Fredericksburg, very easy to get to, nice animals, fair fish section. Heck, even the pet store in Manassas is better than SP...

I'm highly dissapointed. It took us 2.5 hours to get there, ended up a total waste of time. I really wish I had known they had vastly and drastically down graded to nothing but a feed store with some random mammals, repts and birds...

secuono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
jeremy va
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Maru pets was no longer in business last time I went by there (about a moth ago)
jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Mshen11
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

is there a list of LFS that is within driving range of the belway (or inside) and customer comments on what the store is like (aka, worth visiting or not)?
Mshen11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

Super Petz is supposed to be opening an entire warehouse dedicated to fish but they said it would open a while ago. I should ask them if they are going to open it again or anytime soon.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
secuono
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy va View Post
Maru pets was no longer in business last time I went by there (about a moth ago)
What??! Crud, that's terrible! =(
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
secuono
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
Super Petz is supposed to be opening an entire warehouse dedicated to fish but they said it would open a while ago. I should ask them if they are going to open it again or anytime soon.
I never heard that, where is it supposed to be? It can't be anywhere near where they are now and I really hope it will be out of that area and out in the open instead of traffic-central it is in now...
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
secuono
Wannabe Guru

Found the wearhouse. I have no idea if you can visit it, but there won't be fish and plants there.
"Warehouse located at 7950-1 Woodruff Ct. North Springfield (near our store and off of Port Royal Rd., at other end of building with Counter Intelligence. also in parking lot with Mid South Building Supply)"

They apparently know they were known for their fish, yet still cut that out and now have two full aquariums. One has left over fish and dead plants, the one below is empty and for 'koi.'
They clearly do not realize what they gutted...
Are they getting yet a third store??? Their website is so hard to understand. I'm going to email them and ask.

"Our Bird/Parrot, Reptile and Small Animal specialty store is NOW OPEN in Ravensworth Shopping Center, located near Braddock Road and the Beltway. The store boasts a great selection of animals and their products. Previously, Super Pets had a large store located in the heart of Annandale, which some of you may know as Super Petz from the sign. That store had a very large tropical fish department, and was renowned around Virginia, and the DC Metro area. Our new store does not currently have Fish, but we are working on our next location for that purpose as well for the Dog and Cat departments. We do carry limited lines of fish products, frozen foods, pellets, all sizes of Aquariums, live plants, and dog and cat food and supplies. We can order product requests for most pet related products you are looking for or have purchased from us in the past."
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
Mshen11
Algae Grower

they post alot on CL... warehouse only open like once or twice a week for a few hours. wasnt impressed in the prices.
Mshen11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
jeremy va
Planted Member

Pete's in C-ville went down the tubes as well -- not altogether bad, it was pretty disgusting and the folks there were a wee bit strange.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
secuono
Wannabe Guru

Got an email back and it makes more sense than what they had on their website.

"Hi,
Yes the warehouse sales will happen again. We have a lot of fish goods. It is retail, but some stuff is in boxes, some is on shelves. We lost our lease (cause the son of the landlord who owns the party store snd his daughter who owns Ann Sandra both wanted bigger spaces) and we havent gotten a new lease yet. Our Ravensworth store is a bird reptile small animal specialty store. The plan is to have another store.

Regards,
John"
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

speaking to them last week when I was there they stated they have plans for a seperate fish only store in the area. ETA was this summer but who knows
hisxlency is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
chale
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yes, we need a store badly around this area for plants and freshwater fish. Most of the places in the area cater to saltwater with minimal freshwater selections. I haven't found a store locally yet that has healthy plants. Has anyone tried the ones like petsmart sells in the sealed bags?
chale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
jeremy va
Planted Member

Buy plants and critters online. They are healthier, cost less and sellers are reliable -- just check ratings before buying. The PetStore plants in bags are sometimes terrestrial plants that can survive underwater but will eventually die. Eg Mondo grass. Do your homework before buying. Once in a while you can find a cool plant at the PetStores -- but usually because it has been mislabeled or was accidentally included by the grower. We really don't NEED a store. (;-) It might be fun but everything you want and more is available online.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.