Plant Spikes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-06-2002, 06:25 AM   #1
Pooks73
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooks73

i was reading in the articles about these. are they really much better than liquids? i don't really have a heavily planted tank, so i was wondering what i should be using. it was suggested to me that i use flourish, so that's what i've got. it's working well, especially for my java fern. that thing grew some roots like i've never seen! it's stuck in there and not going anywhere!

but is what i'm doing good or should i be thinking about a different type of fertalizer? i just want them to grow, and not give me gw like last time!

thanks, and sorry for all the questions tonight!

amy
flourite and river rock substrate
Pooks73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have personally never used flourish so I don't know it's pro's and cons however jobes plant spikes contain most of the nutrients that you would want to add to your tank through liquid fertilizers.

The benefit of using the plant spikes rather than the liquid fertilizer is that since they are under the gravel none of these extra nutrients are available to algae. Making it very tough for algae to thrive. This is the main reason people choose to use plant spikes rather than liquid fertilizers.

Kyle
Old 08-06-2002, 04:23 PM   #3
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

My opinion is a bit different when it comes to adding Jobe's Plant Spikes. Don't use them unless you have no intentions of distrubing the substrate for the next couple of months. Don't vacuum the gravel.

Furthermore, only use 1/4-1/3 of a piece and they are only needed for heavily root feeding plants like swords. If you are not injecting CO2 you don't need to use the spikes. The spikes contain nitrogen and phosphate, which are okay if your tank is limited and using lots of the two elements, however without lots of light and CO2 that not the likely scenario.

A much better choice for a non-injected tank is Root Tabs+Iron. They contain no nitrogen or phosphate to cause big algae problems like the Jobe's can. Again, the Root Tabs are only needed by plants that have a heavy root feeding system
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2002, 08:46 PM   #4
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Oh yes I forgot to mention the fact that you cannot disturbed the gravel for a long time! Thank you Steve!

Gosh how dumb of me. I am the one who made that mistake! :aah:
Old 08-08-2002, 02:25 PM   #5
inxs
Algae Grower

I have to concur - if you use jobes spikes and disturbe the substrate you can get a huge mess of algae which will be a PITA to put an end to.

However jobes are cheap and do make nutrients available to heavy root feeders like swords.
inxs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2002, 09:08 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Test your water parameters - don't guess. If your NO3 and PO4 levels are low, then you will have no problems with Jobe's sticks. I have a hard time keeping my NO3 levels above 3-4ppm in my 55g tank with 3.4wpg light and two 1g DIY yeast reactors. The Jobe's sticks help keep the Amazons from thinking and yellowing. My Rotala Indica also grows much thicker when I put a 1/2 stick every month or two, but do use caution when vacuuming gravel or replanting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.