Shrimp dying - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #31
SupaTank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
Oddly enough out of 5 tanks my yellows have been slowly dieing of. I use the same water and dechlorinating in all my danks, so i'm baffled on what could be causing it.
Sometime dechlorinaters & other chemical can kill shrimp if they are not used to it.
SupaTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #32
SupaTank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnad View Post
Jnad

It's your soil, it not suppose to have manure in it. Cows around here are usually fed pesticide & other chemical to make them grow bigger and fatter. You need all organic dirt that contain thing such as sands, woods, etc... no fert, pesticide, manure, and so on. Your tank need time to cycle correctly as well or you will run into other problem later on.
SupaTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello!

Yes it is probably the soil in this tank that is the problem, i do have another dirt tank with soil that do not containing any ferelizer and this tank is ok except for some tanning of the water.

I started theese two dirt tanks to see if i wanted to use this (Walstad) methode in a bigger setup beacuse i want to run a low tech tank. I am now leaning towards using Tom Barr's low tech methode instead, it seems to me that his methode might give mee less problems and more control over the tank. I think i am going to use cat litter as substrate instead of soil, we have a cat litter product here in Norway that is suiteble for aquarium use. It has red clay color, but that might be ok with green plants.

I do think i will keep the little dirt tank with cow manure beacuse the plants grows like mad, of course as a only plants tank.

Jnad

Last edited by Jnad; 03-09-2013 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Adding text
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Whooow, must be something really poisening in this soil. I did a 95% waterchange two days ago, and today i did a 70% waterchange. I tried to add one cherry shrimp right after the 70% water change. After 10 minutes it was swirling around in the tank just as it had been drinking way too mutch cognac.

Manage to save it by putting it back to the tank with the good soil. The tank with the cow manure soil will be only plant tank. Have given up having something alive in that tank.

Jnad
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
shift
Wannabe Guru

Default Shrimp dying

Do u know what the bad soil was caused
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #36
CherokeeNative
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

So sad - sorry for you and the shrimp. I hope you figure it out before you put more shrimp in. Best of luck.
CherokeeNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #37
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dont know what is wrong with the soil, but it has to be the soil that is the problem.

I have a couple of Gyppies in the tank, they have been in there for two days now and seem to thrive. Maybe the soil containing something poisening to shrimps and not to fish, i dont now. But as i wrote a couple of post back i think i will change the soil regime to cat litter substrate. I think it will give me some less problems and a tank with dirt substrat get a kind of dirty look

Jnad
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #38
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

This is a new tank setup with an active substrate.

Any such setup requires 6-8 weeks of cycling before any shrimp can be added.

Fish are more tolerant and less sensitive than shrimp but also aren't necessary to be used for cycling. I hope you will provide the tanks ample time to cycle before adding any more livestock as they will be put in harms way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnad View Post
Hello!

Have a one week old Walstad setup with soil. Bought some Cherry shrimps today, two minutes after they was added to the tank they was laying on their backs colorless and wayving with their legs

How sensitive is this shrimps, i have tested Ammonium, nitrates and with a drop test the readings after my skill is about zero??

Many of the shrimps is still alive now 4 hours later, but they is on their backs wayving with their legs colorless??

Need some help here please

Jnad
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #39
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

If your water smells bad when you water change, it means you have anaerobic soil, how many plants do you have in there? Have you been poking the sand cap every day since the beginning? You need lots of rooted plants and alot of poking (or MTS) to make sure the soil has enough oxygen. you can stop poking it, once the roots establish themselves.

but if your soil has cow manure in it, then... it is probably not suitable for shrimps until it get use to being underwater (1-2 months)
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #40
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Shrimp alive

Hello!

I might have some good news.

I have two soil tanks, a couple of days ago i replanted and changed the soil to cat litter in one of them (the one that did not kill shrimps).

When i did this replanting i moved plants between my two tanks. Today two days later i find a alive Cherry Shrimp in the tank that killed shrimps. This Shrimp must have followed some of the plants i moved. I do not smell anything from the tank either, so maybe my Shrimp killing tank now have cycled. I will give it some days too see how it goes with this shrimp.

This could mean that the soil with cow manure can be used, and this soil is very good for the plants endeed . Hoping the tank was only needing some cycling first. There is no algae in the tank either so i must assume that the soil not leaking ammonia/nutrients to the water.

Jnad
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #41
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Cherry Shrimp, is now doing good
Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #42
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Shrimp is still alive
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #43
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some more good news for this tank: I have 3 endlers, 5 Mosquito Rasboras and one Cherry shrimp thriving in this tank today. I guess the tank only needed a cycle.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #44
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello!

One week ago i had to move this tank to another place in the livingroom room. The tank was placed with a window, since then the tank have had no artificial light, just indirect and direct sunlight.

I am very suprised too see that this week with natural sunlight has had a very positive impact on the aquarium. The plants love it and the fishes is very energetic. And the best of all i have now two thriving shrimps in there ALIVE

The tank is not so fun to watch at night though beacuse it dont have any artificial light.

Jnad
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #45
Msheresy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Shrimp dying

Glad that it seems to be working out. Fingers crossed for you that it stays that way!
Msheresy is offline   Reply With Quote