Aluminum 6061 CGA320 Stem and Nut
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
jack25
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Aluminum 6061 CGA320 Stem and Nut

What do you guys think about this? I saw it on Ebay. I currently have the regular 2.5" long brass stem and it's a tad long to my liking. This aluminum one may be just the right length for me.

jack25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Is that the one listed as a beer brewing part? I was looking at that one too. Make sure it's long enough so that the regulator body itself will clear the top of the tank. Otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the aluminum doesn't seize to the brass as it can do with steel.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Just to be clear, you're set on the silvery look? Chrome-plated brass and stainless steel are other options if this is the case. But you say you currently have a 2.5" brass nipple. So if you don't mind the unplated brass look, Western Enterprises has 2.0 and 2.5" nipples, part #'s CO-3 and CO-4, available at a welding supply shop near you.

But I did look at that listing. Great price, though I've never tried aluminum with brass or stainless steel, so I'd look into that a bit before buying.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
jack25
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I'm currently running my rig with the WE brass fiittings but the 2.5" stem is just a bit long to my liking. I saw the posting and the stem looks much shorter which may work for me. The silvery look is a plus.
jack25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Well, if your reg is stainless, or chrome- or nickel-plated brass, then yeah I'd probably grab it. If it's bare brass, WE CO-3 at a welding shop will cost $4 or $5, and is exactly the same as the one you have, but half an inch shorter.

To reinforce what Taco said, though, make sure the reg will clear the cylinder. A standard torpedo-shaped body with large gauges needs that extra half inch. I have a Concoa 212 and GO CYL-20 which have that issue, and I have a 2 1/2" brass nipple on one of them, and a 2" stainless nipple, plus a 1/4" stainless street coupling on the other. Without the extra length, the high pressure gauge actually touches the knob on the top of two different cylinders. I'm assuming you don't have this issue, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

That looks like SS to me.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

As a follow up to this, I got mine in the mail today. Definitely aluminum. The actual finish is more of a gun metal blue than a chrome. They seem to be well machined, and come in a sealed bag as a unit with nut, nipple, and a nylon washer. These things are pretty short, and there may be gauge clearance issues. I'm going to throw one on a reg this weekend and see how well they work.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

it will work.

the same one.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

That appears to be a different one from the one that is currently shipping. The one I received is definitely a darker color compared to the SS. One thing of note with these adapters is that due to the shorter length, they're very difficult to properly tighten into the body of the victor dual stage regs. I put one on my HPT270 last night, and the body of the reg restricts the movement of the nut out of the way to give proper access to the flats on the nipple. Properly tightened, there is only about 2-3mm of the end of the nipple visible, which is hard to get a grip on with a wrench. Also, if the reg has a pressure release valve (in the 5:00 position in the pic above), it will not clear the tank in the upright position. For these reasons, I wouldn't recommend the shorter nipples for the HPT/GPT series regs.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

As a quick fix, you can add a 1/4" NPT street adapter to the inside end of the CGA nipple. That should give you an extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so. Not ideal, but it works.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well then you might as well use one of the regular 2 1/2" brass nipples. The real benefit of these shorter bits are.. their shortness. The long ones with a heavy regulator on the end act as a lever to tip over lighter bottles. Getting the mass of the reg closer to the valve on the tank aids with stability.