Unzan 75-P - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #91
madness
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,698
Default

Wow.

I have never seen an HC carpet come in that fast and easily.

How much of your rapid transition and growth would you attribute to the tissue cultured plants?
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #92
davidj12
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Wow.

I have never seen an HC carpet come in that fast and easily.

How much of your rapid transition and growth would you attribute to the tissue cultured plants?
To be honest I'm not really sure. I've never grown anything in this tank at all so I'm not sure how much is the set up and how much is the TC. I have to say thought I'm extremely surprised how fast everything is growing. From what I've been told this is a characteristic of TC plants.
__________________
davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #93
madness
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,698
Default

Yeah, I have heard that easy transition (lack of 'melting') is one of the primary benefits of TC plants.

My guess is that even with a perfect set-up you would not have seen this kind of immediate growth with anything but the best plants pulled from another tank.

I think this thread will motivate me to try out some TC plants.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #94
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,726
Default

Very nice growth!

Reminds me of the ADA gallery set-ups, planted well/heavily and they fill in pretty quickly, not sure if they use TC plants.
I am guessing it is a combination of factors, but not surprised the ADA method is working well in unison.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #95
davidj12
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Yeah, I have heard that easy transition (lack of 'melting') is one of the primary benefits of TC plants.

My guess is that even with a perfect set-up you would not have seen this kind of immediate growth with anything but the best plants pulled from another tank.

I think this thread will motivate me to try out some TC plants.
You should! They are a bit more $$ then regular plants but I feel that the plant mass is a lot greater in one cup of TC plants than in a pot of normal plants. The other benefit it the plants were in really good shape. I'm a little disappointed with the quality of plants at most if not all of the LFS I have been to. Wish they would keep TC plants in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Very nice growth!

Reminds me of the ADA gallery set-ups, planted well/heavily and they fill in pretty quickly, not sure if they use TC plants.
I am guessing it is a combination of factors, but not surprised the ADA method is working well in unison.
I don't think it's as good as some of their set up but I try I really think it is the fact that it was heavily planted to begin with. In my previous tank I had no plan and no idea what I was doing so I planted light. That was a big mistake because I think it would have solved some of my problems. It's still early so I hope I'm not jinx myself.
__________________
davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #96
davidj12
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Just got some new things

Boxes for my dry ferts, GH booster, and baking soda. Found them at the container store. They were a great price!



Decided to get some vessels for mixing and such. Found these on Amazon Lab supplies.

__________________
davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #97
davidj12
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Did a trim today on the foreground plants. Still not sure when to trim the stem plants. Do you think I should let them grow some more?



Top Down



Rotala



MM



Hair Grass



HC

__________________
davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #98
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 757
Default

That is some amazing growth! I like how there's a path insinuated between the middle of the stones.

I think I missed it... what fauna are you looking at adding?
__________________

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #99
davidj12
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
That is some amazing growth! I like how there's a path insinuated between the middle of the stones.

I think I missed it... what fauna are you looking at adding?

thanks!!


I'm planning on:

Amano Shrimp
OTO
Cardinal Tetra
Cherry Barb
__________________
davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #100
OKnights112
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pearland, TX USA
Posts: 67
Default

Looking great, looks like those ADA tanks on their YouTube Channel.
__________________
OKnights112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #101
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj12 View Post
thanks!!


I'm planning on:

Amano Shrimp
OTO
Cardinal Tetra
Cherry Barb
Nice! I have amano shrimp currently... love them!
__________________

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #102
davidj12
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Oh and one last thing. The WeMo adjusted itself for daylight savings, I did not even have to do anything!
__________________
davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #103
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,726
Talking

Ha, nice!

Is that pretty close to what the color temp looks like in real life for the NAMH bulb? I like the slight green hue in the pictures.

For trimming the stems, I have read in Aqua Journal, to trim once they reach the waters surface. The series of YouTube ADA View videos (search "ADA LED" ) has tank setup and initial work and trimming up until livestock is added. They might be in Japanese, but the videos are pretty self explanatory when you watch it.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #104
iter
Planted Member
 
iter's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 174
Default

Wow!!!

The growth is even denser than the wabi-kusa planted tanks in the ADA gallery!!!

TC plants are now my next interests .
iter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #105
davidj12
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 137
Default Unzan 75-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Ha, nice!

Is that pretty close to what the color temp looks like in real life for the NAMH bulb? I like the slight green hue in the pictures.

For trimming the stems, I have read in Aqua Journal, to trim once they reach the waters surface. The series of YouTube ADA View videos (search "ADA LED" ) has tank setup and initial work and trimming up until livestock is added. They might be in Japanese, but the videos are pretty self explanatory when you watch it.
Unfortunately I only have my iPhone to take pictures with and that's why they are a little crappy. I think the colors on my photos are a bit dark. Would really love a new camera to take pictures with but that is not in the cards right now.


I've seen the article you are talking about. I guess I'll try that out. I'll have a lot of stems to sell when I trim them down .
__________________
davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
75p, ada, unzan

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012