Single air pump for shrimp rack
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Single air pump for shrimp rack

I'm looking for a single pump to run my entire aquarium rack.

I have (3) 15 gallon tanks, and (8) 11.4 gallon tanks. I'd like to be able to potentially run 2 sponges in each tank, as well as (2-4) air powered breeding boxes. I'll be using valve type splitters to get air to each of the (22-26) accessories. All tanks are only about 10"-12" deep with substrate.

I'm looking for the following:

Commercial grade
Metal airline connectors, plastic ones seem to break after a while
Reliable
Quiet
Safe (won't burn down my house from getting too hot)
Up to $130

I've heard good things about the reliability of the piston variety but worry about noise. The rack around a corner ("some" noise insulation) in my bedroom and I'd like to be able to sleep.

I've also had no problems with the noise of most diaphragm type pumps but worry about reliability since it will run tanks full of lots of expensive creatures.

Any recommendations/suggestions will be helpful.

-Jarim

Last edited by SHMaRiM; 03-10-2013 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Info added
SHMaRiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
snausage
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

I got the largest tetra model on ebay last year brand new for $40 shipped. It's designed for use on small ponds so it'll definitely have enough power and it's amazingly quiet as well.

People may knock tetra stuff but I've been running their air pumps for a few years with zero problems.
snausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

I've used smaller tetras before and the air output/pressure is pretty low compared to the other pumps I have. Reliable from my experience, but not very powerful.

I'd rather use a commercial grade brand air pump that wasn't something you can just buy at the pet store. Only for the reason that commercial grade is far superior to consumer grade products and I want to run this pump for years to come since my tanks have developed into a small business. However, being reliable and semi-quiet are the most important.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have not found a linear piston air pump that is quiet enough that I'll use it in my bedroom. If you plug one in and run it dry (no load), it's pretty loud. But once you add the load to it, it's actually pretty quiet -- just not so quiet I'd run it in my bed room.

I have this one (cheaper if you spend 2 more minutes searching, I'm just using it to show the model). I use it to run 7 double sponge filters, 8 air stones, and I can still squeeze out more air to use. This one is only 18w, there are more powerful model. Coralife has a similar one too.

The key though, is to lay out the air tube properly so none is too long, and choose good quality gang valves. You can test the gang valve by submerge it in water while connected, you shouldn't see bubbles. I have tried all the plastic ones I can find, none passed... so I got the metal ones (very hard to find) and they are much better. Some of the metal ones leak too but not as bad, plus I think they last longer.

I have four tanks in my bedroom too... I use 2 x Fluval Q2, each one for two tanks, each tank get a sponge filter and an air stone, and I can probably add one more to each but no more than that. Q2 is really quiet, the bubble noise is louder than the pump.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

Anyone have some info on this?

Alita AL15A
http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ali...-manifold.html

Last edited by SHMaRiM; 03-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Link edit
Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

Also, does anyone know if the lee's uplift tube for an undergravel filter fits onto the hydro-pro sponge lift tube? I'm looking for a solution to make it a little quieter and direct water flow to the other side of the aquarium.

Here
http://www.aquariumguys.com/lees-uplift-elbows.html

or
http://www.aquariumguys.com/undergra...ter-elbow.html
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Re: Single air pump for shrimp rack

For that many applications, I don't think you'll find any air pump that'll be quiet imo. Check out the Pondmaster air pumps. I've seen an AP-40 in person and all I can say is mindblown. That thing is so strong, but of course the downside is that it's loud. I'm sure the AP-20 isn't as loud, but you'll be sacrificing a lot of power.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Re: Single air pump for shrimp rack

The alita is dead quiet. I have the smallest model running 8 sponges in 21" deep tanks and 36" water barrels. The model you chose should work. Give jehmco a call they have the same pumps on sale usually and should be able to say if it will work for you

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

I think I may go with Alita from all the good things I've heard. Sounds Like I should be able to easily run the top 8 tanks, (16-20) accessories, with the model 15.

The 15g tanks are just cull tanks so I may run them off a smaller cheaper pump.

Now, any suggestions on splitting the air to the different tanks? I'm putting sponge filters in (diagonally) opposite corners of each tank and each tank will have 2. There is 4 tanks per level and 2 levels.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to run a small black ABS/PVC pipe up the center of the back and tap an 8 outlet manifold at each layer. Where would I want my pump? the top or bottom level?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

top would be best to avoid siphoning
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote