Snails need more calcium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Snails need more calcium

Noticed that my apple snail's shell is looking a bit thin, so I figure I need to dose calcium in some way. Wondering what methods everyone here has tried successfully? I've read a few posts about cuttlebones and human calcium pills and wonder if these methods worked? Any suggestions welcomed!
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

diy snail food with calcium or ken veg stick with calcium.
cuttlebones is cheap
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Calcium rich foods like some tortoise and turtle products. I've heard of people using oyster grit in a media bag to add minerals.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

There is a powdered cal. supplement that feeder crickets are dusted when feed to reptiles. I saw it at PetCo when they were feeding the lizards. That might be an option.

My local water is hard so I have never needed a cal. supplement for my snails or shrimp.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
stevekx500
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use cuttlebones. I use the large ones from DFS & break in half & put a half n my canister filter & replace each week w/ my media when I do weekly water changes. Works well for me.
stevekx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've experimented with a number of things over the years and, frankly, every method I've tried worked, none noticeably better or worse than any other.

Eggshells--rinsed, baked and ground to a powder can be integrated into any soft food, mixed into the substrate or just dusted onto blanched veggies. Or mixed into the substrate.

Oyster shells--I generally just bash one with a hammer and drop the pieces somewhere inconspicuous. I've also known folks to mix pieces in with their larger filter media or put a couple broken shells in their HOB.

Cuttlebone--same as oyster shells, though I've noticed snails will tend to congregate on the cuttlebone pieces itself when it's in the tank and I've never seen them do that with oyster shells.

Super expensive japanese powder that, once translated, proved to be nothing but finely powdered oyster shells and a smidge of dried seaweed.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I had a terrible time with my ramshorn's shells turning white and eroding. I was advised to try cuttlebone, as well as other things. I tried the cuttlebone because it was handy & cheap, but I didn't expect it to work. Took a whole one & stuffed into the HOB filter. I did break off a few small pieces to drop in the tank itself, and the snails congregated on them at first but didn't finish them off. Amazingly, it worked for them! In a 125g tank, too. Now my snails all look healthy again and the are growing up & getting big. Hard to believe it could be such a simple solution.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Kale, spinach and cuttlebone all work wonders for this sort of problem.

Have you tried feeding kale/spinach?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

@DogFish: I actually have some calcium supplement for reptiles (got a Blue Tongue Skink) but I wouldn't trust it to be safe....good idea though

@somewhatshocked: I haven't tried anything yet, but since those are high in calcium its worth a shot!

Sounds like cuttlebones are commonly used and work. I think I'm going to try the eggshell method first (seeing as I am about to boil a bunch of eggs anyway) and if that doesn't work, I'll try the kale or cuttlebones. Thanks everyone for your input! Very appreciated.
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've tried cuttlebone with mixed results... The best (and cheapest) option for me has been to drop a tums antacid into the tank right after a water change. Usually 1 a month (every second water change), more or less if I forget. Any tums works, but I'd avoid the pink ones as they tend to cloud the water more. They will all cloud the water, but it settles out after a day or so.
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Snails need more calcium

A tums really works?? That's cool lol. I've noticed white spots on my ramshorns shell so I might do this

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I read that somewhere years ago and tried it... it really does help the shells and doesnt seem to have any ill affects on the fish. I've been doing it for well over a year now. Of course, if the snails don't have a proper diet with occasional fresh veggies, nothing will help.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
I've tried cuttlebone with mixed results... The best (and cheapest) option for me has been to drop a tums antacid into the tank right after a water change. Usually 1 a month (every second water change), more or less if I forget. Any tums works, but I'd avoid the pink ones as they tend to cloud the water more. They will all cloud the water, but it settles out after a day or so.
I have a nice, fresh bottle of tums that I bought day-before-yesterday. I'm tempted to try this first...all great methods! I think I will try them all one at a time and see which one works the best. thanks!
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Snails need more calcium

Just wanted to chime back in on this topic to say i gave the tums a try. Ill admit i was a tad skeptical so i only put half in but all is well! Can't tell if it's working or not though..

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It will take a while before you see results... the ones with shells that are already damaged won't get any better, but the next round of baby snails should look better!

Tags
calcium