Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share. - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #181
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (104/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-the-pilot View Post
You do realize that a thermometer doesn't measure temperature. It measures volume. So do you call it a volumeter?
I guess I would personally use the term "co2 controller" when they come out with a device for us that uses a probe that actually measures co2 concentration in your tank and adjusts the co2 levels to what ever you want them to be at.

My bad for being argumentative. I just wanted to make sure that the process by which this device works was understood.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #182
ray-the-pilot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

Not sure what you are getting at here - I would not say a thermometer measures volume; as temperature increases, the volume of the liquid changes, however, and we use this change in volume to get the temperature.
Not sure what you are getting at here - I would not say a co2 controller measures pH; as CO2 increases, the pH of the liquid changes, however, and we use this change in pH to control the CO2 level.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #183
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Some low voltage Burkerts are AC. If it is indeed AC it will say something like 24V 60hz.
There's one listed as 24VAC?

Quote:
I would not recommend the Clippard MNV-4K2, as I mentioned in my original post.

For the Burkert solenoid, either the 12V or 24V will work fine; be sure you know if it is VAC or VDC, and be sure to use the appropriate converter.
Now what's a converter???

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-10-2013 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function in the future.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #184
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
I don't know. I haven't looked in a while. There was...

It won't say "24VAC", it will look like 24V 60HZ (if it's AC)

If it's DC, it will say 12VDC for example.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #185
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know. I haven't looked in a while. There was...

It won't say "24VAC", it will look like 24V 60HZ (if it's AC)

If it's DC, it will say 12VDC for example.
A site I was looking on has one listed that states its a 24vac
Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #186
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Like a wall wart, cell phone charger type of power supply. There's a billion different kinds out there. It's critical that you get the right one.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #187
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Not sure what you are getting at here - I would not say a co2 controller measures pH; as CO2 increases, the pH of the liquid changes, however, and we use this change in pH to control the CO2 level.
So it is just a matter of perspective; as oldpunk78 mentioned, I would refer to a CO2 controller as something that utilizes a CO2 probe and not a pH probe.

Quote:
Yes, there was.

Quote:
Quote:
Like a wall wart, cell phone charger type of power supply. There's a billion different kinds out there. It's critical that you get the right one.
+1. A wall wart works well, if the solenoid you purchase requires DC voltage. If it requires AC voltage, there are similar wall warts, but they appear similar to DC ones (just be careful and look over specification sheets carefully before purchasing).

Quote:
As mentioned, you would require the appropriate step down transformer then.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #188
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
I was talking about what's actually printed on the coil. I don't trust what the sellers claim the item is.

Be aware that the power supply for the AC version may be hard to find and set you back around $20 when you do find it.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #189
ray-the-pilot
Algae Grower

Quote:
So it is just a matter of perspective; as oldpunk78 mentioned, I would refer to a CO2 controller as something that utilizes a CO2 probe and not a pH probe.
I agree this could be a matter of perspective. But do you agree that you can use a Milwaukee (fill in the blank) controller to control CO2? And very well I might add.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #190
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
I agree this could be a matter of perspective. But do you agree that you can use a Milwaukee (fill in the blank) controller to control CO2? And very well I might add.
LOL - it's always been my opinion that it doesn't do anything that you can do by yourself. I guess that if your running a regulator of questionable quality, it would be a good idea viewing it more like a safety net.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #191
Darkblade48

Quote:
Quote:
LOL - it's always been my opinion that it doesn't do anything that you can do by yourself. I guess that if your running a regulator of questionable quality, it would be a good idea viewing it more like a safety net.
I agree with oldpunk78. The Milwaukee controller can be used to control CO2, but I have never found a need to use one - I can understand the idea of having a stable pH, but I find this unnecessary.

If, for example, you were running a regulator that had a floaty needle valve, then I can see where a pH controller could become a good safety net (just in case the CO2 suddenly increases).

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #192
ray-the-pilot
Algae Grower

Quote:
I agree with oldpunk78. The Milwaukee controller can be used to control CO2, but I have never found a need to use one - I can understand the idea of having a stable pH, but I find this unnecessary.

If, for example, you were running a regulator that had a floaty needle valve, then I can see where a pH controller could become a good safety net (just in case the CO2 suddenly increases).
LOL!
You guys from the dark ages make me laugh!
My CO2 controller keeps the CO2 level the same no matter what the conditions. If I have one plant or 100; in high light or low; with one fish or 100 fish; high aeration or no aeration; day or night. Reliable, reliable, reliable, no questions asked just service!
I like to think of your input vs outflow system as a wood burning stove and a controller as a thermostatically controlled central heating system. Yes you can heat a room with a wood burning stove but it is hard to get things in balance what with opening windows when it is too hot and adjusting the draft at night and having hot and cold spots. My thermostat like my CO2 controller does all that for me.

One other thing I forgot to add on my previous post (You should have an edit post feature on this board).
I can easily adjust my CO2 levels in increments of 2 ppm.

RTP

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-10-2013 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: As requested.
ray-the-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #193
Darkblade48

Quote:
LOL!
You guys from the dark ages make me laugh!
My CO2 controller keeps the CO2 level the same no matter what the conditions. If I have one plant or 100; in high light or low; with one fish or 100 fish; high aeration or no aeration; day or night. Reliable, reliable, reliable, no questions asked just service!
I like to think of your input vs outflow system as a wood burning stove and a controller as a thermostatically controlled central heating system. Yes you can heat a room with a wood burning stove but it is hard to get things in balance what with opening windows when it is too hot and adjusting the draft at night and having hot and cold spots. My thermostat like my CO2 controller does all that for me.
Not quite sure how to respond to this - there are many people that use CO2 without a pH controller, and have very successful aquariums.

You are right in saying that a pH controller can keep the pH very stable, but at the same time, pH swings induced by CO2 injection are not harmful to livestock, in general. Rather, it is excessive CO2 that will (and too often) kill off livestock; a pH controller will help prevent this.

Keep in mind that it is not the absolute pH that is important either; rather, a drop in pH can be associated with a certain concentration of CO2 dissolve in the water column, and this is what is more important to note. This is mainly because pH can be affected by other factors, such as tannic acids.

All in all, if you have excess money, a pH controller might be a night item to consider, but I would not say it is absolutely necessary for a functional aquarium. In my opinion, it would be better to invest in something like a dual stage regulator, so that a pH controller would not even be necessary in the first place.

Quote:
One other thing I forgot to add on my previous post (You should have an edit post feature on this board).
I can easily adjust my CO2 levels in increments of 2 ppm.

RTP
There is an edit feature; I have merged your posts.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #194
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

There is an edit feature; I have merged your posts.
I can't edit in here either...
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #195
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I can't edit in here either...
I thought I was the only one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.