Anybody have this heavy duty rack?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (93/100%)

Anybody have this heavy duty rack?

Has anybody had experience with this rack or company? It seems legit at 1200 pounds per shelf. I know that's probably overdoing it but I don't mind spending the extra cash for some top of the line stuff. This seems much more efficient than building something yourself due to time/tools and the ability to adjust this one.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...-cap-per-shelf

hedge_fund is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

i believe its total shelf weight is equivalent to 1200 pounds

i've had some shelves like that that say 300 lbs per shelf and they are not stable at that weight.
so i would personally think that's the combined weight..
of course it could be pretty thick steel.. pictures don't tell too much
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

There are lots of people on the forum with shelving units like that. They swap out the particle board for 3/4" plywood and it's golden.

Lowes has some great ones. My favorite - which I use - is 36" wide by 18" deep by 72" tall.

HD: it's per shelf weight, not collectively for the entire unit.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There are lots of people on the forum with shelving units like that. They swap out the particle board for 3/4" plywood and it's golden.

Lowes has some great ones. My favorite - which I use - is 36" wide by 18" deep by 72" tall.

HD: it's per shelf weight, not collectively for the entire unit.
Nice, thanks. I need to check out a local Lowe's soon...I did see some nice shelving in passing. I'm a safety nut so the 1200 lbs a shelf is really a selling point with me.

If people are swapping out the particle board then they can just get ones without anything or metal shelves...2 below links:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/st...eel-shelving-5

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/st...ng-wire-deck-5
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i believe its total shelf weight is equivalent to 1200 pounds

i've had some shelves like that that say 300 lbs per shelf and they are not stable at that weight.
so i would personally think that's the combined weight..
of course it could be pretty thick steel.. pictures don't tell too much
Check out the video in the original link. Seems legit @ 1200 pounds per shelf. I should be able to place my motorcycle on it (or 3) without a problem haha.

It seems like pretty cheap insurance to overdo it on the shelving. Some of the racks that I've seen on here make me cringe when people start stacking tanks.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

I mentioned ditching the particle board because those are the units typically available at Lowes and Home Depot.

There are five or six Home Depot locations here in town and it seems like they're moving away from keeping these in stock. All the Lowes locations have various types of these heavy duty rigs.

They can be really attractive, I think. Especially if you paint the shelving a nice color. Since they're metal, it's also easy to use small magnets to attach panels to hide what you don't want to be visible.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Within the next 6 months or so, I'm going to be moving and building my super shrimp rack and I'm debating between shelving and building something. I'll probably build, my roommate has every saw/tool know to man, he builds doors, window frames, and custom cabinets/wall unit/kitchens for a living between two different jobs, so I know it will be secure and work well and I can build it to the exact dimensions I want. Like that rack there, is 24" deep x 48" wide. I want to do 4 20gals sideways per level and that's just not enough as 20gals are a bit more than 12" wide each, plus bracing, so 4 of them is more than 48" as is a 48" T5 fixture to hang over the tanks, so nothing would fit. If it was like 26" deep and 52" wide or so, it would be perfect.

This is what I'll be going for, functional yet looks nice.

This is Ebikens rack that I'm going to borrow design ideas from. He has documented it on several forums some of the building process. Again, not my rack.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
hopeforthebest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have that kind of shelving for my son's collage books. Lots of heavy books. This book case does have a slight wobble to it. It goes from side to side a tiny bit. Just enough that I would not put any kind of fish tank on it. I'm talking about what it is out of the box.
hopeforthebest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforthebest View Post
I have that kind of shelving for my son's collage books. Lots of heavy books. This book case does have a slight wobble to it. It goes from side to side a tiny bit. Just enough that I would not put any kind of fish tank on it. I'm talking about what it is out of the box.
Is it the same exact shelving or just the "type"? There are tons of these floating around....the ones I linked in this thread are some of the more high end ones (I think). This one in particular weighs 70+ pounds.

After doing some research I have yet to find a negative review and will probably go with these when it's time to set up my little project.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

I got the one I use in my Aquaponic system (See link in sig line) at Home Depot. It's rated at 600# per shelf. MAYBE if you evenly distributed that weight...MAYBE it would hold it. I swapped out the PB to plywood and I still got a flex with my 40 gl. so I braced underneath the enter of that shelf.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post

I got the one I use in my Aquaponic system (See link in sig line) at Home Depot. It's rated at 600# per shelf. MAYBE if you evenly distributed that weight...MAYBE it would hold it. I swapped out the PB to plywood and I still got a flex with my 40 gl. so I braced underneath the enter of that shelf.
Recently picked up a rack rated at 500lbs X 5 shelves. Water testing my 40 scared me. I called the manufacturer and they sent me tie bars. It holds up now, however flimsy it seems..
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Recently picked up a rack rated at 500lbs X 5 shelves. Water testing my 40 scared me. I called the manufacturer and they sent me tie bars. It holds up now, however flimsy it seems..

Good to know. I'm guessing that I should be fine since I'm putting 30 gallons on a 1200lb rated shelf.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm using the bulk rack from Global Ind Here for three 24" x 18" tanks per shelf. I supplied my own wood deck to save on shipping costs.

It's a bit overkill for the size tanks I'm currently using but it allows for upgrading to larger tanks in the future. Shipping was not cheap to my location, definitely check out what it will cost to ship to you.

You also need to double & triple check the dimensions of your tanks, regardless of what brand pre-fab rack you buy to verify they will fit. The rack I linked to above is 72" wide between the uprights whereas the home depot/Lowe's was 72" wide to the outside of the uprights.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #14
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

I didn't get this type because it looked too industrial in an apartment so I went went with the stainless steel look, the type that people use in the kitchen a lot or in department stores.

I bought a 30"x12"x48"...it comes with 4 shelves but I only used three of them. It's rated 800 pounds total, 200 pds each shelf. I only have a 10 on each level, and the top has various sizes, like a breeder box, a 2.5 gallon and a 5 gallon.....and Ive to say, I'm a little worried. I can grab one side and it will sway. And with I have on it doesn't even come close to the 800 pounds total.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.