ph Controller vs CO2 injection night/day
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
David P.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ph Controller vs CO2 injection night/day

Hi,
Just received my CO2 tank with regulator, solenoid, etc..

I also purchased a controller... not sure if i will use it or sell it to my friend... i might give it a try.

I know CO2 should be started 30min before light on and shut off 30min before light off. Is this still applicable with the Controller ?
Meaning my timer plugged in the wall, and my controller on the timer ?? so it shut everything off during night ??

The controller only monitor ph/CO2 injection during day period ?

thks
David P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
leonardcarlson
Algae Grower

No, you plug the co2 into the controller, and it works 24/7. No need to turn co2 on before the lighting period,
leonardcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
David P.
Algae Grower

ok.. if i understand well:
my plant will not consume CO2 at night, if i was to inject CO2 at night, my ph will drop.. so my controller will not inject CO2 at night !?!?!
am i getting this right ?
David P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
leonardcarlson
Algae Grower

No, you set what ph you want, the controller injects co2 until that ph is realized, then stops injecting co2. As long as you don't go too low on your ph, you won't have problems with co2 in the tank at night. Some controllers have a second plug that turns on an air stone if co2 goes too high. I have a 90 g planted discus tank, run my ph at 6.8 through a ph controller, and never have had problems with co2 at night
leonardcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardcarlson View Post
No, you plug the co2 into the controller, and it works 24/7. No need to turn co2 on before the lighting period,
You can plug the CO2 controller into the lighting time, then the CO2 will be controlled and used only when it's needed: during the day.

There's no reason to use a pH controller at night for a planted tank, ever.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I run mine with my lights, I feel if you have an adequate diffusion method, you shouldn't need to run the co2 before the lights.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
ray-the-pilot
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You can plug the CO2 controller into the lighting time, then the CO2 will be controlled and used only when it's needed: during the day.

There's no reason to use a pH controller at night for a planted tank, ever.
I don't think you want to turn your controller off at night. It will mess up on restart. I've been running my controllers (one for over 3 years) 24/7 with no problem. It has gotten to the point where I don't even have a drop checker in my tanks any more.
My CO2 controllers are boringly reliable and I cannot imagine why anyone who can afford one wouldn't get one.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-the-pilot View Post
I don't think you want to turn your controller off at night. It will mess up on restart. I've been running my controllers (one for over 3 years) 24/7 with no problem. It has gotten to the point where I don't even have a drop checker in my tanks any more.
My CO2 controllers are boringly reliable and I cannot imagine why anyone who can afford one wouldn't get one.
If you have less than high light you don't need as much CO2 in the water to fill the plants' needs, so the concentration you use during the photoperiod isn't likely to do any harm at night. But, if you do have high light, you probably have the CO2 concentration set so high that it can be a problem for the fish at night. For that situation I think it is far better to turn off the CO2 at night, and if you use a pH controller you should have it plugged into the timer.

In either case the CO2 you use at night is just wasted.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
ray-the-pilot
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you have less than high light you don't need as much CO2 in the water to fill the plants' needs, so the concentration you use during the photoperiod isn't likely to do any harm at night. But, if you do have high light, you probably have the CO2 concentration set so high that it can be a problem for the fish at night. For that situation I think it is far better to turn off the CO2 at night, and if you use a pH controller you should have it plugged into the timer.

In either case the CO2 you use at night is just wasted.
I'm not sure what you mean by "if you have less than high light you don't need as much CO2"?
That is the function of a CO2 controller. The CO2 level is always the same. So if is at an OK level in the day, it is in an OK level at night.
Even at night, plants need some CO2. That is when they are in the Calvin or dark cycle and synthsizing sugar. While I'm sure they can get along without any extra CO2 (they can get along without it in the daylight as well) it doesn't hurt to add CO2 and really, CO2 is very cheap!
Actually, I "rethunk" this. My CO2 controller has been running day and night for almost five years! God how time flies!