Shop light fixtures and moisture ...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
thornomad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shop light fixtures and moisture ...

Hey everyone - first post. Thanks for having me.

I am thinking of setting up my first tank. I want a 20L so I can put it on some empty counter space in my kitchen and I only have about 18 inches of clearance under the cabinet (19 inches under the lip).

My thought was to get a shop light fixture (24 inch) and attach it to be the bottom of the cabinet and buy appropriate bulbs.

My question is about moisture ... There will probably only be six inches of clearance between the top of tank and lights (depending on the fixture) ... Do I need to worry about that?

I do want plants and fish in the tank and haven't planned that far yet. Was pricing out the hardware.

Thanks
thornomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Moisture shouldn't be an issue unless u are enclosing it. Just make sure the fixture you buy has a ground on the plug and is sutible for use in high humidity enviroments. I use the 24in version of http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1006543...m0&R=100654395.
Sits right on top of my tank. Note that these do not come pre wired so you will know how to do that or know someone that can do it for you.
Psycofc1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)

They may rust if they are the very cheap ones and get water splashed on them but otherwise should be ok. I would suggest plugging them into a GFCI outlet or to buy a adapter plugin.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
thornomad
Algae Grower

Default Re: Shop light fixtures and moisture ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycofc1 View Post
Moisture shouldn't be an issue unless u are enclosing it. Just make sure the fixture you buy has a ground on the plug and is sutible for use in high humidity enviroments.
That fixture you recommended is the idea I was going for. Glad it hasn't been an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
They may rust if they are the very cheap ones and get water splashed on them but otherwise should be ok. I would suggest plugging them into a GFCI outlet or to buy a adapter plugin.
That is an excellent suggestion ... I will consider getting one as a power strip ... Since all the electronics are in the water. Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
peter_l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Will the tank be covered or not?

I have gone the el cheapo route on a few of my tanks using $4 clamp lights from the local hardware store with 6500k spiral fluorescents. I really like the look better than a light that spans the whole tank.
peter_l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Fixtures that are labeled as "Suitable for use in a damp location" will be fine supported under the cabinet, 6" above the tank.
I use fixtures so labeled, and sit them on top of the tank, glass lid over the tank. Those fixtures are fine.
Others, purchased at the same time, but not so labeled, are falling apart.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Outlets in a kitchen area are required to have GFCI protection anyway. Think about adding a GFCI outlet instead of the strip. One outlet will protect all the outlets downstream of it.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
thelub

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have a lowes shop fixture above my tank. It was sitting directly on top of the tank. Before I made a light bar and it started to rust, but after I hung it over the tank instead of sitting directly on top it seems to have stopped. One of the bulbs burned out prematurely too but I don't know if I can blame it sitting directly on top or if it was just a faulty bulb.
thelub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
DanSanDiego
Algae Grower

If you get a fixture that you have to do the wiring for, I use the wire nuts that are used for outdoors. They are usually blue, and they have some type of Gel in them to keep your connections dry. I use them just in case something gets more damp than it should.
DanSanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
thornomad
Algae Grower

Thanks for those suggestions; I checked out the fixtures at Lowes and Home Depot but couldn't find any that were for high humidity environments. They actually didn't have a great selection either for 24" fixtures. They run $15-$30 without bulbs. And they only offered T-12 or T-8 (was sort of hoping for something with a lower profile). Could look some more online but ...

I also stopped at the local aquarium shop and they recommended the AquaticLife Dual-Lamp T5-HO (30") ... looks really nice. It's on Amazon for about $110. Twice as much, at least, as the DIY route but I may end up going with that ... looks prettier and I think my wife would be happier seeing that on her kitchen counter all day. Smile.

Anyone used those? Any luck?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.