Background painting disaster
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
marcnc
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Background painting disaster

Went to paint background today, did all the prep work, buying foam roller, cleaned glass proper, read several posts about it. What a mess. After 3 coats it won't stick.

I cannot move the tank so spay is not an option since it in the house.

Maybe I should get a regular type roller? Should I remove it and just get window tint?
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Always spay or neuter your tanks.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

What kind of paint? And what dry time between coats?

I did the back of my acrylic tank with Apple Barrel acrylic paint and a foam roller. I was in a hurry and probably didn't wait long enough between coats. Some spots lifted, I managed to adequately repair with a paintbrush and a light touch. And some paint got under the rim too, which will be hard to remove should I ever want to change colors.

If I ever do it again, I will find a way to spray. Even if I have to tarp off the entire room!
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
DaveMcKenz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Went to paint background today, did all the prep work, buying foam roller, cleaned glass proper, read several posts about it. What a mess. After 3 coats it won't stick.

Maybe I should get a regular type roller? Should I remove it and just get window tint?
BTW there are some water based spray paints available if fumes are the issue.
Good luck,
Dave
DaveMcKenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
marcnc
Planted Member

Thanks for the info. It did not cover very well, after I checked it again this morning, and some spots won't cover at all. I think at this point I am going to scrape it all off, and start over, with window tint. I cannot move tank outside, no where to work on it to spray paint it.
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
sdaugherty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'd just use the window film. It does allow some light in but I think it looks rather nice and was a lot easier to apply than painting and it's easily removable if you want to try something else in the future. Also since you can't move your tanks this might be the cleaner option.
sdaugherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Planted Member

I painted mine with regular indoor paint, one with an integrated primer, using a regular paint roller (not foam). After 4 layers over 2 days (waited 2h between layers done the same day) it was very well covered. I added a 5th layer the next day just to be sure but it was probably useless!

So far it holds very well. Probably the fact that the paint includes the primer helped a lot.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I painted my tank with interior latex about 2 months ago. Just got one of those sample jars from Home Depot, and had it tinted to black. Think it was just over $3, and I used a cheap brush ~$1.

It took several coats, but eventually got it completely blacked out.

I did this before set-up, so I was able to lay the tank on it's face, and had a horizontal surface to work with.

I think you should be able to paint your tank, it will just take a lot of patience. put on a light coat, let it dry, do another light coat, etc.

But yeah, I think spraypaint is easier if that's an option in the future.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
stevekx500
Algae Grower

Just curious as 2 y u can't spray it inside??? I was a painter 4 a living 4 MANY yrs & that can easily be done. Put down a drop cloth. get some cheap "painters plastic" & make a "tent" so when u spray, overspray wont go everywhere. open some windows & put a box fan or 2 n the room to draw fresh air n & old air out. When your done spraying take plastic down & throw away. leave drop cloth down till fully dried JUST INCASE OF DRIPS. Make sense? When u r done leave the house 4 a few hrs as 2 not get buzzed cause it'll probably be an oil based paint if its n a spray can. All n all, should take no more than an hr 2 do. Just sayin. Hope it works out 4 ya
stevekx500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.