TPT Bonsai Thread! Show off your collection! - Page 31
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #451
Basil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I love that Trident Maple. My Natal Plum shot several new leaves so it's in need of a trimming.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #452
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

Late Winter is a good time of year to repot also, and certainly to moss the sediments.

Yogurt and moss, cut up finely, paint brush this on to the soil and then cover with plastic wrap loosely.

You can do the same thing for hard scapes where you need to moss a lot of rock or wood.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #453
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
I love that Trident Maple. My Natal Plum shot several new leaves so it's in need of a trimming.
Thanks! Sounds cool, post pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Late Winter is a good time of year to repot also, and certainly to moss the sediments.

Yogurt and moss, cut up finely, paint brush this on to the soil and then cover with plastic wrap loosely.

You can do the same thing for hard scapes where you need to moss a lot of rock or wood.
Thanks for the advice Tom. I got some "Kyoto Moss Spores" in MA when I got the Azalea and Juniper, any experience with such a thing? How long does the method you've described take? How are your trees doing?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #454
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi everybody, I have been lurking this thread for awhile and finally got myself a bonsai

Anyone can help me on what species do I have and the care for it? I have never kept a bonsai before.

Picture cheers!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #455
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (104/100%)

Looks like a Juniper. My wife brought one home for me about 3 weeks ago.

I haven't killed it yet... It's actually growing too. (I know, right )

I'm not digging the zen garden thing though. I want to re-pot it but am unsure it I'll kill it doing so. lol
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #456
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Been searching juniper bonsai online, and after looking at juniper bonsai in this thread, it seems that my juniper has a dark green color leaves. Is that normal?

I just bought it today from a lady at an intersection in a car with bonsai on top of the car lol.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #457
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Both of your bonsai are so-called "mallsai", mass-produced at places for malls and for sale at people at intersections on their cars' roofs.

Unfortunately, mallsai generally tend to be unhealthy. I've never gotten one, as I couldn't bring myself to do so as a result of my purist aesthetic/borderline elitist attitude, but I hear that they're usually sold already half-dead, essentially. Because of this, they tend to turn away a lot of newbies because they think that if they can't care for a $10 tree, they surely shouldn't take the risk to invest in a real bonsai which would probably run them five to ten times that.

I'm just telling you guys this upfront so that you're not discouraged. Technically those are really pre-bonsai by most standards as they haven't got much shape or foliage to them, because they're thin branches cut from larger trees and rooted for a year before selling. Additionally, both of you guys seem to be keeping them indoors. Sure way to kill them. Trust me, I nearly killed my first tree by being stubborn and keeping it indoors, and if I'd killed it, I certainly wouldn't have put several hundred dollars into bonsai within a one year period from then!

Hopefully I haven't discouraged you guys too much. Let me know if you have any questions, and f you want links to some good bonsai places online, message me!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #458
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I got a Fukien Tea Bonsai from walmart for $7. It was dropping leaves when I got it, it was never watered. Ever since I bought it Ive watered it weekly and mist it a few times a day. Its doin well, even flowered. Its in direct light for a little while and indirect for a good while. Its indoors as it will die in the cold outside. According to the comments online, it dosnt seem to be an easy one to keep. Surprised its doing well...for now.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #459
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Damit there goes my seven bucks lol.

Well I will keep update how the bonsai doing.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #460
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (104/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Both of your bonsai are so-called "mallsai", mass-produced at places for malls and for sale at people at intersections on their cars' roofs.

Unfortunately, mallsai generally tend to be unhealthy. I've never gotten one, as I couldn't bring myself to do so as a result of my purist aesthetic/borderline elitist attitude, but I hear that they're usually sold already half-dead, essentially. Because of this, they tend to turn away a lot of newbies because they think that if they can't care for a $10 tree, they surely shouldn't take the risk to invest in a real bonsai which would probably run them five to ten times that.

I'm just telling you guys this upfront so that you're not discouraged. Technically those are really pre-bonsai by most standards as they haven't got much shape or foliage to them, because they're thin branches cut from larger trees and rooted for a year before selling. Additionally, both of you guys seem to be keeping them indoors. Sure way to kill them. Trust me, I nearly killed my first tree by being stubborn and keeping it indoors, and if I'd killed it, I certainly wouldn't have put several hundred dollars into bonsai within a one year period from then!

Hopefully I haven't discouraged you guys too much. Let me know if you have any questions, and f you want links to some good bonsai places online, message me!
I figured...

Anyway, it's growing. I've been adding some npk weekly and have a lot of new growth. My watering routine seems to be working too.

After some quick research, I found the soil it's in to be completely wrong and really want to re-pot it. Since it's actually not totally unhealthy I'm apprehensive about doing so. I'd love to hear an opinion about the correct soil (not really soil I guess..) and proper way to go about re-potting it.

Edit - I just searched Mallsai, the bane of the bonsai community

I feel like tool
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #461
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default TPT Bonsai Thread! Show off your collection!

My own:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362778982.370750.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	101346

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #462
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Are the moss spores from Joshua Roth? I bought some of those a few years ago. I have some growing right now in a small terrarium and some I keep outside in a covered plastic flat. When I first got them I sixed them with a little buttermilk. It takes a while to get going but then it does fairly well. It is a ver7y nice moss. Great color and texture.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #463
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

Ficus are good 1st trees.

My White Pine is doing well, I think I'll use some Shade cloth this summer though.

All my trees are sprouting new leaves, the moss has really become almost overwhelming on my Juniper. I managed to pull my Ficus inside anytime it got near freezing, so they have all their leaves in good shape still this year.

New sprouting is a good time to trim IME to get the right shape and to direct tree resources to the right areas.

My very nice Azalea got cooked by not watering 1 day last summer when it was 100F, I lost about 1/2 the perfect tree. I'm hoping it'll regrow this spring, but I have doubts, the toasted parts do not appear to be coming back. 1 day, that was all it took.

Time for shade cloth.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #464
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default TPT Bonsai Thread! Show off your collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Ficus are good 1st trees.

My White Pine is doing well, I think I'll use some Shade cloth this summer though.

All my trees are sprouting new leaves, the moss has really become almost overwhelming on my Juniper. I managed to pull my Ficus inside anytime it got near freezing, so they have all their leaves in good shape still this year.

New sprouting is a good time to trim IME to get the right shape and to direct tree resources to the right areas.

My very nice Azalea got cooked by not watering 1 day last summer when it was 100F, I lost about 1/2 the perfect tree. I'm hoping it'll regrow this spring, but I have doubts, the toasted parts do not appear to be coming back. 1 day, that was all it took.

Time for shade cloth.
Any tips for getting Ficus leaves smaller?

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #465
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Keeping this thread going, I figured it was a good time to repot this juniper I got over Christmas break in Massachussetts from New England Bonsai. I repotted it into this nice, cheap training pot from Takashima Bonsai.

Spring break can't come soon enough, I'm gonna build a great bonsai stand. Here's what I plan to base it off of (sorry for poor quality):

Last edited by Geniusdudekiran; 03-11-2013 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Typo
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.