Invert safe CPD tank mates - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
jnatelborg54@gmail.com
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a 75 gal. tank with about 90 fish in it. I also have 10 amanos and I don't know how many red cherries. The biggest fish that I have are 6 black neons and 6 black phantom tetras.The rest are all smaller like cpd's, cardinals, gold tetras,etc. Believe it or not my tank is doing great and my shrimp colony is growing. I know that probably most of the babies are getting eaten but I have a boat load of plants, rocks and wood in there. I can usually see at least half a dozen adults at any one time.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Default RE: Invert safe CPD tank mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
Can those Gouramins start eating your CPDs once they grow up ? I want to keep them with my rasboras maculatus but heard they can grow up to 4 inches.
Your confusing croaking with sparkling. The sparkling gourami barely reaches an inch and a half. I cannot think of the scientific name off the top of my head at the moment

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Aquatic_Adam
Algae Grower

Sorry, a little late to the party, but has there been a decision?

I wouldn't go with Scarlet Badis due to their reputation as picky eaters. It will be difficult to make sure that they are getting food in such a large tank.

Sparkling and Croaking Gouramis (T. pulma and vittata respectively) are safe tankmates for CPDs but may eat some of the younger Shrimps. Although in a 90g leaves plenty of places for Shrimp to hide. If you get enough of either of the fishes, the males will make an audible croaking noise in disputes. Its a really fun thing

If you're breeding the CPD's..make sure there are plenty of places for the fry to hide. CPD's and any other fish in there will eat them for sure.

Any of the Dwarf Corydoras would be nice (pygmaeous, habrosus, or hastatus). Habrosus are the only ones out of those three that really swim at the bottom level of the tank though.

Don't be afraid of predatory fish. Unless you are a small fish. Then be very afraid.
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
shift
Wannabe Guru

No decision yet as I wont actually have the tank for a few more weeks. It will be mainly a CPD tank but i do think it would be cool to have a few other schools since it will be such a large tank (at least compared to all my nanos!)

I appreciate all the suggestions and feel free to keep them coming!
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
huhu89151734
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to huhu89151734
Default Invert safe CPD tank mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Your confusing croaking with sparkling. The sparkling gourami barely reaches an inch and a half. I cannot think of the scientific name off the top of my head at the moment

Oh I actually thought sparkling gourami= pearl gourami. Once I was in a fish shop and the staff called those pearls as sparkling gourami. Thanks a lot Noahma.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Trichopsis pumila - Sparkling

Trichopsis vittata - Croaking
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
shift
Wannabe Guru

So from browsing the store today, rummy nose and harlequins look like they could have potential as well.
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Rummynose are great fish, they can add some size to the tank, harlequins are cool as well, however they don't school as well as the rummynose do. If you do find the gourami's, keep in mind that they really need to be a trio.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #24
Freyr
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic_Adam View Post

I wouldn't go with Scarlet Badis due to their reputation as picky eaters. It will be difficult to make sure that they are getting food in such a large tank.
My badis is picky, and generally only goes for live food. However, they are micropredators and will gave no issues finding food in a well planted tank. My badis has only come and eaten the food I add about 5 times, but he's very well fed and has doubled in size. He constantly scrounges for small crustaceans and has no problem feeding himself. As long as the tank is healthy and heavily planted, you could likely have several.

Downside: badis are micropredators, and shrimplets are perfect snacks. You'll lose quite a few (happened to me). Once the shrimp got about 1/3 inch tho, the badis left then entirely alone.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
whitepapagold
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
I honestly would not recommend putting shrimp is such a big tank. They don't do much or take up a lot of space, but they limit the species of fish you can keep to very few. Don't put shrimp in there and you open up many, many possibilities. Plus you'd barely be able to see the shrimp ever.
I agree it limits the fish, but to say you wont see the shrimp?????

I have a 125, dense planting with ferns and anubias and I see the shrimp all over the place all day long.

Its funny the OP has CPDs and shrimp cause my school of CPDs decimated my shrimp population in my tank... The rummy nose tetras I have now harass the shrimp on occasion but generally ignore them.

Though Im sure they eat the babies...

I REALLY want a few Dario dario but Im not sure I want to hammer the baby shrimp population that hard... Im sure the rummies are eating them already.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
shift
Wannabe Guru

Would you mix CRS/CBS fish in the tank or stick to slightly large neos like cherrys, pumpkins, rillis ect.?
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #27
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I don't know about the sparkling gouramis. I've been considering these myself, but when doing research I read too many cases where they go after even adult shrimp.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Invert safe CPD tank mates

I think in a big tank with lots of cover you should be fine. I'd give it a try, can u return them if necessary?
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #29
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Invert safe CPD tank mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyr View Post
My badis is picky, and generally only goes for live food. However, they are micropredators and will gave no issues finding food in a well planted tank. My badis has only come and eaten the food I add about 5 times, but he's very well fed and has doubled in size. He constantly scrounges for small crustaceans and has no problem feeding himself. As long as the tank is healthy and heavily planted, you could likely have several.

Downside: badis are micropredators, and shrimplets are perfect snacks. You'll lose quite a few (happened to me). Once the shrimp got about 1/3 inch tho, the badis left then entirely alone.
Think the Badis would survive without all the baby shrimp? Curious because I thought of having some of these but heard they must be fed live food, never heard of them picking through a planted tank for creepy crawleys

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #30
shift
Wannabe Guru

Badis look pretty cool but are sounding like a lot of work!
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp