Finally! Some cory eggs!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
h0meless
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Finally! Some cory eggs!

I've been trying to breed my corys for the past 9 months with no success. Went back to my college for alumni weekend this weekend aaaand came back to eggs. Yes! I'm keeping them in the same tank, but in one of those 3-way breeder container things. Do I need to attach the eggs to the walls of it, or is it OK to just let them hang out on the bottom?
h0meless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Funny you should say that...I just finished scraping up a batch of cory eggs myself. I think they'll be ok laying on the bottom of the breeder. I can't say for sure but I believe you described one of the solid plastic types with vent holes in various places.

I use a net breeder with my idea that there's better circulation with the mesh. I've raised a few batches of them in the net breeder and have a small herd left even after giving away a bunch of them. I place moss from the shrimp tank in the breeder box so hopefully they'll get some stuff to munch on while they're growing up. I also feed them the Hikari First Bites.

What type of cories? Mine are just the plain bronzes, but they're a lot of fun.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

I put my Cory sterbai eggs in an extra 5 gallon tank. It doesn't matter if they are on the bottom, walls or floating on plants. I have cherry shrimp in there too. The eggs are hard so they can't eat them but they still try. That keeps the eggs clean and they won't fungus. The eggs will hatch in about 4 days and they will live off their yolk sacks for the first 2 days. I feed mine micro worms and decap brine shrimp. I always do a 50% water change every day.
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
h0meless
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Resurrecting. I had no success with having the eggs hatch. They all got attacked by fungus, even though I tried to dose Pimafix. My corys just laid eggs again a few hours back, so I'm going to transfer them to a gallon water jug and try using malachite green and see what results I get with that. I have to go with malachite green instead of blue because the stores I went looking in didn't have anything with blue in it. The product I'll be using is your typical Ich medication (QuICK Cure in this case).

I also found an interesting article about malachite green and its fungicidal effects on fish/fish eggs after doing a quick Google search.
For those interested: https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/...336?sequence=1

Bandit - they're albino corys. Most likely C. Aeneus (bought em at Petco last year). Any luck with your batch?
h0meless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Indeed I did, I didn't scrape all that many out of the 75, just the ones I could reasonably reach. There's a small "herd" of cories in the breeder net now.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
musician71604
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

Be sure to have plenty of current around the eggs to help prevent fungus as well. I use a hang-on breeder that uses an air pump that has worked very well for me.
musician71604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.