do i need metal halide lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-07-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
hixy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hello everyone,
going to have a go at setting up my first planted aquarium.
my tank is 6 feet long 15x15,ive got the chance on a cheap metal halide light is this going over the top on the lighting,or would flouresence lighting be good enough,i will also be using c02 and hopefully keep some discus in it. thanks a lot great forum
hixy
hixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 05:19 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Hmm.. how cheap is cheap? You would be surprised at how cheap MH lighting is when you go to a lighting supplier and not an aquarium shop. And how many lights is it? For a 6' tank you would need three lights as the general rule is that one MH light is good for a 2'x2' area. Also what wattage is the bulb and what is the color temp? In general most planted tank people will go with NO or CF fluorescent lights as the selection is better, there is not as much heat problem and it's cheaper.

I just ran the math on your tank and it looks to be about a 70 gallon tank. You are not going to need a whole lot of light on this tank and MH lights IMHO would be overkill. You might want to head over to www.ahsupply.com and take a look at either a 2x96 watt kit. That would get you to just about 2.75 watts per gallon which is not a bad figure. If you want more light than that to grow more challenging plants then you could get 2X96 watt kits and a couple of 55 watt kits.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
hixy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hello rex,
thanks for your reply i live in england so ordering anything from usa is a problem. i can get some lights called overtank luminaires by arcadia would these be any good for me. www.arcadia-uk.com/ as my
aquarium has no hood i want to keep it nice and tidy,not have cables everywhere thanks
hixy
hixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Those would work fine. I would guess you are going to get two smaller units and place them on the edges and center brace? It's a shame the the T5 units are only available with marine bulbs.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote