Completely unexpected loss
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Completely unexpected loss

My best Red Turquoise Discus was dead when I got home today. It ate well this morning & looked fine. Water is fine. Other fish are fine. It had no symptoms of any kind. When I pulled it out of the tank, a visual inspection found it's vent was SLIGHTLY distended & it's belly was a little swollen, but no more than if it had eaten a big meal. Recently there have been some attempts at spawning from the discus, but I really don't know which one was laying eggs. All I can figure is MAYBE there was some fighting over the female or this WAS the female & she was egg bound? IDK. The only recent change in routine is I have been feeding Omega One freeze dried blood worms on & off for years. This morning I was running late & didn't have time to thaw any frozen bloodworms or beef heart, so they got the freeze dried bloodworms. They've eaten the same stuff many times before.

I just don't get it.

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

freezedried foods swell in the gut as they absorb water. so if a fish has a tendency to overeat, then it can stuff itself, have the food swell, and get injured. its why freezedried bloodworms are really not a good choice for bettas which if given the chance will gorge themselves.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

That's a bummer, I feel your pain. I had a murder fest with some angels a while back where one alpha male just destroyed half of the school in a matter of days. Water parameters were fine.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
freezedried foods swell in the gut as they absorb water. so if a fish has a tendency to overeat, then it can stuff itself, have the food swell, and get injured. its why freezedried bloodworms are really not a good choice for bettas which if given the chance will gorge themselves.
That crossed my mind & I'm not disagreeing with you, but I've been occasionally feeding these guys freeze dried blood worms & brine shrimp since I got them. These particular discus don't surface feed much. They wait for stuff to saturate & sink, mostly feeding mid water column or off the substrate.

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote