Tub-O-Flourite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tub-O-Flourite

The time has come to rinse my Flourite. I've read horror stories about this part, so I'm kind of dreading it. I think I might try using a fine-mesh strainer or an old pillowcase. But my biggest problem is that I don't have a good place to do it...... If I rinse it in my bathtub will it clog my plumbing?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
The time has come to rinse my Flourite. I've read horror stories about this part, so I'm kind of dreading it. I think I might try using a fine-mesh strainer or an old pillowcase. But my biggest problem is that I don't have a good place to do it...... If I rinse it in my bathtub will it clog my plumbing?

If it's only dust, it shouldn't mess with your plumbing. Watch if any of the stones get loose though. Also, if you have a septic system, you may not want to rinse inside.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Fuze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)

I rinsed 5 bags of the stuff in my tub. Very fine dust gets washed out only.

I just used a large bucket and rinsed 1/3 to 1/2 bag each time, mixing to kick up the dust and pouring it out until I could see my hand in the water. Then pour out the substrate into a large plastic container and repeat.

There was some dust that didn't get washed down. Just turn on the shower head and wash it down the drain. No problems here.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've found a large flat pan works best to rinse stuff--sand or fluorite. A big cat-litter pan is typically what I grab. Unlike a bucket, it's easy to pour most of the water out without risking dumping the substrate out, the stuff is spread out thinner so it's less work to agitate *all* of it to get as much into the water column as possible each rinse, and it's easier to see how well rinsed it is as the light easily reached the bottom--unlike a bucket.

Lots of small batches, though it may seem tedious, worked better for me than trying to do fewer large batches, in large part because the entire mass could be agitated by hand to get a thorough rinse each time. And, frankly, less weight to slug around--save the bucket to dump finished batches into.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Keyboard Aquatics
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

I wouldn't, I can imagine cleaning up the tub afterward. Finding a spigot somewhere shouldn't be too hard.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

For large amounts of it, a big rubbermaid can with a garden hose outside.

I've used a 5g bucket next to the kitchen sink. A short length of hose constantly siphoning water (and floating dust) out into the sink, the faucet on and off, depending on water depth, and stirring regularly.
I've also used a small-ish steel mesh colander in the sink with the faucet nozzle on "spray". It takes a while, but a couple beers and an IPod work wonders.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
dochollow
Algae Grower

i dont rinse my flourite at all! i felt i was washing away what i paid for. just threw in the tank & carefully filled the tank. it was a little cloudy, but settles out after a couple of days. just my 2 cents. DOC.
dochollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, that wasn't so bad after all.... I ended up doing it in the kitchen sink using a homemade strainer (made the strainer by using a thumb-tack to punch holes in the bottom of an aluminum-foil roasting pan!). As an extra precaution I covered the sink drain hole with the mesh from an old carbon filter. This worked great to catch all the Flourite that accidentally spilled while I swirled it around in the rinse pan. It took lots of small batches to finish both bags, but I put on some music and I was done in what seemed like no time. Playing with rocks and muddy water is a fun way to spend a Friday evening!

Next step.... filler 'er up!
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
Well, that wasn't so bad after all.... I ended up doing it in the kitchen sink using a homemade strainer (made the strainer by using a thumb-tack to punch holes in the bottom of an aluminum-foil roasting pan!). As an extra precaution I covered the sink drain hole with the mesh from an old carbon filter. This worked great to catch all the Flourite that accidentally spilled while I swirled it around in the rinse pan. It took lots of small batches to finish both bags, but I put on some music and I was done in what seemed like no time. Playing with rocks and muddy water is a fun way to spend a Friday evening!

Next step.... filler 'er up!
Hurrah for ingenuity.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote