Cheap Substrate?? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Agreed I am so on the fence, but I am glad that I have 2 weeks to decide. I'm thinking now maybe the kitty litter I have heard people talk about covered by some gravel.
UGA_Grad_Student is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

If anyone finds this thread in searches, I just wanted to update what I went with. I decided to do the special kitty kitty litter covered by the black blasting sand. I have been completely happy with it so far. Haven't seen any adverse effects of die offs. Just make sure you rinse both the cat litter and the blasting sand over and over x 10.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
shift
Wannabe Guru

Does anyone know who sells the black beauty blasting sand in canada?

tractor supply seems to be a us chain
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

50# bag of turface pro league ($12)
80# earthgro topsoil mineralized ($3)
Muriate of potash ($6)
Clay ($6)

Skipping the dolomite. 3" nutritious substrate with high CEC for my 75 gallon for under $30. That ain't bad.

Or you could just get plain sand and call it a day. You'll need alot of root tabs though. Keep in mind that sand and kitty litter are completely inert and will offer the plants zero nutrition.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_Grad_Student View Post
In the terms of a planted aquarium, I am a beginner. I have had aquariums for several years and also had plants. Before now it has been a o thats cheap and looks cool lets throw it in and hope it works. That is all about to change now that I have just acquired a 55 gallon tank. Enough background here is my question...

I am looking for a cheap substrate that will work and help plants flourish. Maybe some kind of combination from a store such as lowes??

I figure there are people on here that could help me out. Right now it is just a bare bottom tank and looking kinda boring. I can post pictures if people would like.

Thanks for all the help!!
Hi UGA_Grad_Student,

I am currently using Safe-T-Sorb #7941 which is working very well. The first use requires substantial washing but the high CEC, natural appearance, and economical price makes it a very attractive option. I like the mix of grain sizes and the mix of natural colors. It is available online at Drillspot for $10.27 per 40# bag with free shipping included.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/1476408/Moltan_7941_Montmorillonite_Clay_Absorbant_40_lb

Here is a picture of my 10 gallon, with Safe-T-Sorb substrate. This tank has no CO2, just Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Excel. The baby Corys have been in there for over 3 months and have doubled in size.

And here is a picture of my 20g high set up 3/1/13

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

I posted this thread over a year ago and have since figured out what worked for me at the time. I wanted to update the thread and tell people what I went with and how it has worked out. I did that because I noticed a lot of views on this thread. I figured there are more people like me, trying to save a lot of money yet still go about it in a proper method. The kitty litter/sand combo worked wonders with me. The plants really pop against the black sand.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
shift
Wannabe Guru

Default Cheap Substrate??

Where do you guys find cheap black sand?
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
Does anyone know who sells the black beauty blasting sand in canada?

tractor supply seems to be a us chain
That would depend where you are in Canada, it's kinda big.

I went searching for it in Edmonton but was unable to find it. Places like SIL industries, Burnco, Manus Abrasives were either out of stock with no idea when it might be back in stock or just didn't have it. I didn't think to try Target Products (another abrasive/building material company, not the American Target). It is listed on their website but by that time I had bought a bag of overpriced black sand from the LFS.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #24
shift
Wannabe Guru

Is there any other known brands of an equivalent brands? Most seem to be walnut or crushed glass based around me (so far)

Although if it is just slag.. there is huge mountains of slag an hour or so from my house at an old mine site.. no idea if its aquarium safe though! scrap that. just read that its from an old copper mil.
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp

Last edited by shift; 03-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: edit..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.