Backing Into a Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Backing Into a Planted Tank

Hi all, jumped back into the aquarium hobby after 20 years and started the same way I left off, lots of plastic and a couple rocks and an air stone in a 75 gallon community tank.

Today the Internet gives us more information and exposure to new ideas, my new tank was looking, I felt, amateurish. Out with the fake driftwood, in with real pieces, out with the most fake looking plants, and learned how to run the tank without an air stone.

I really enjoy the hardscaping look of an aquarium but I'd like to find out if I can get rid of the remaining plastic plants and add some real, low light plants to compliment the rocks and driftwood. Will buenos airies tetras, tiger barbs, danios, a couple Balas, rainbow shark, and our favorites, cuckoo cats and gold nugget pleco rule us out of having real plants? I just want to avoid chewed up, bare plants.

I'm currently filtering with an Emperor 400 and a marineland c360 cannister, lighting is a newer model Beamswork hi lumen LED, no plant light but seems bright enough for low light plants. What's your opinion, if I can, what plants would you suggest?

Thanks for you comments and suggestions, here is a pic of what the tank currently looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	99066  

joeyNdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Im new to planted tanks too but what I can tell you is that you could try starting with some java moss tied to the drift wood and see if it works with your light that you currently have.. its low light, cheap and pretty readily available... Anubias nana may be a good plant for you too I believe...

- Matt M.
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Any sword should do fine as well as anubias and mosses. If you want the same effect that the plastic plants are giving, get some narrow leaf chain sword mixed with some amazon sword and marble queen and those will fill in the background nice. If those do well, I've always been a huge fan of anacharis and my small fish love to play in it Great thing about anacharis is you buy 2 bunches of them and as they grow (very fast) you just snip them in half and replant them and soon you'll have a garden of it!
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
iant
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyNdana View Post
Hi all, jumped back into the aquarium hobby after 20 years and started the same way I left off, lots of plastic and a couple rocks and an air stone in a 75 gallon community tank.

Today the Internet gives us more information and exposure to new ideas, my new tank was looking, I felt, amateurish. Out with the fake driftwood, in with real pieces, out with the most fake looking plants, and learned how to run the tank without an air stone.

I really enjoy the hardscaping look of an aquarium but I'd like to find out if I can get rid of the remaining plastic plants and add some real, low light plants to compliment the rocks and driftwood. Will buenos airies tetras, tiger barbs, danios, a couple Balas, rainbow shark, and our favorites, cuckoo cats and gold nugget pleco rule us out of having real plants? I just want to avoid chewed up, bare plants.

I'm currently filtering with an Emperor 400 and a marineland c360 cannister, lighting is a newer model Beamswork hi lumen LED, no plant light but seems bright enough for low light plants. What's your opinion, if I can, what plants would you suggest?

Thanks for you comments and suggestions, here is a pic of what the tank currently looks like.
anubias, Java ferns, java moss, crypts, swords, ludwigias, vals, sags, cabomba, wisteria. Those are all the plants I keep on my low to medium lighted tank and they are all happy
iant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Thank you for the suggestions thus far, brings up a few more questions I have thought of.

Given I have a concern over the current fish population possibly chewing on the plants, would you recommend I do a major planting at once to try and spread out that activity, or try a couple at a time and see how the fish/tank handles it?

Will the plants being suggested so far grow well with just liquid fertilizers or do I need to go beyond that?

If I'm using carbon or Purigen, will that filter out the liquid fertilizer?

Substrate is pea gravel, not a very fine substrate, will it be fine for the plants being suggested?

Lastly, I have the basic 48" florescent light that came with the tank when I bought it, should I think about using that fixture with a special bulb even if I'm keeping low to medium light plants?
joeyNdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

I'm fairly certain that most fish will not eat java fern because, basically it doesn't taste good to them.. I'm sure there are other plants that don't get eaten.... And if all your plants are low light slow growing plants then I don't think you will need to fertilize that often. I've read that some people don't fertilize their low light tank at all and just let the plants feed off of the fish detrius.

- Matt M.
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

I believe all the fish you listed should be fine with plants.
VisionQuest28 is offline   Reply With Quote