Getting frustrated and fed up with this hobby. Help me not sell my stuff - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #16
aquaman911
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Forgot to add. I use the micro/macro mix from aquariumfertilizer.com. Maybe I should sell it and make my own mix of what I need.
aquaman911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
starfire12
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

I have a 46 gallon bow front that I had been have problems with all kinds of algae. I tried everything to get it under control, I even did a blackout and that got rid of the algae but it also killed everything in my tank for some reason the temp went up on the tank, so whatever you do don't do a blackout. I was using ferts at the time because I thought my plants needed them. So I redid the whole thing, see my thread under Aquascaping section. I think now the only reason I do not have a bunch of algae is because I installed a uv sterilizer. You could give that a try. I also do not use any ferts just CO2, and my plant growth is great. The pics in my thread were taken after doing a major trim and replanting.

Last edited by starfire12; 03-05-2013 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: added information
starfire12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicanick78 View Post
Maby jeff the java king wouldent mind sharing his secrets! I was just searching for some tips too. I have trident in low light low ferts and needle leaf in medlight med ferts. havent set up my co2 yet. I think everyone thinks of java ferns as super easy plants, and almost everyone can keep them, but not everyone can keep them looking as spectacular as jeff can.
LOL, I don't think there's any secret to growing ferns. People just assume that because they will do well at lower light they don't have similar requirements to other plants. Just as with any plant the more light you have the more nutrients that are required including CO2. If you're deficient in CO2 then all the macros and micros in the world aren't going to help and I think therein lies the OP's predicament. If he's dosing EI then macros and micros aren't an issue. It's CO2, either the amount or delivery isn't sufficient. I would gradually and patiently begin increasing the CO2 over a matter of days and watch the fish or I would reduce the intensity of the light by raising or shading the fixture. If you decide to try increasing CO2 and notice a change in behavior such as normally active fish becoming inactive or they hang out near the surface or at the bottom and aren't their normal active selves then you've reached the limit and need to back off a bit or you can increase O2 by increasing surface agitation and circulation which allows the fish to tolerate higher CO2. Then it's going to take a couple of weeks to notice healthier growth and less algae. If it were me I'd do both, lower the light intensity and work on increasing CO2 some.

People talk about balance being needed in a tank and others poo poo the idea. You do find a balance. It's when the tanks need are met so you have healthy plant growth, healthy fish and a healthy community of beneficial bacteria. It's the best remedy for algae.

As far as nutrients I keep my tank on the lean side. I add 1 ppm NO3, 0.2 ppm PO4, 2.5 ppm K, 4ml Aquavitro Envy and 3ml Aquavitro Iron per day. I also add enough Aquavitro Mineralize to increase GH by 1 DGH and enough K2SO4 to add 15 ppm K with each weekly water change. This works for my tank. The ferns have had a big trim since the pic and are about 1/3 of the mass they were then. They're healthy and green and growing like weeds. I also have gorgeous full blyxa, steadily growing crypts and more moss than I know what to do with and practically no visible algae. It's all about CO2. I'm using 54 watts of T5HO in one of Catalinas wide reflector fixtures and the growth is as good and plants are as healthy as when I was using 2x54 T5HO in the pic.

Last edited by Jeff5614; 03-06-2013 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: added info
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote