Suggested Algae Eaters... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Suggested Algae Eaters...

will you consider something else instead of the cories? cories are reallly social fish. I used to just have two.... they didnt do much.
but recently when I got 5, they zoomed left and right together. Looking back, my two ex cories must've been fairly lonely.
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Dknight
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have 15 nerite snails, 6 amano shrimp, and 2 bristlenose plecos in my 55. Love the amano shrimp! They are extremely active cleaners and will clean everything but the glass in your tank, but not recommended with the fish you have.

Nerite snails are great except you will probably need a lid on your tank, and eventually have eggs all over your plants and driftwood. I'm not sure how much of a benefit the bristlenose are as far as eating algae, but my wife have become very fond of them, and I love how they wont get much bigger than 3-4in.
Dknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
water hyacinth
Planted Member

the best algae eater iv'e ever had is MTS (malaysian trumpet snails). You couldn't even see into the tank from the back or sides and the front was starting to go the same way. Within about 2 weeks their was pretty much no algae left. That was only with about 4-5 of them. The only problem with them is that they breed like rabbits. I never understood why people always said oto's were frail, iv'e got 11 in my 90 litre, and never had any losses. But personally i never found the oto's very good algae eaters, i looked into it and i think they prefer only certain kinds of algae.
water hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

How about a pittbull pleco?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
apfunk
Algae Grower

Since your tank is fairly new I would not suggest otos. I started with eight in a new tank and now I'm down to one.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #21
lostraindrop
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Never tried Nerites, as someone told me they leave white eggs all over the tank, and difficult to remove. Any truth to that?
YES they leave lots of white eggs! but I (PERSONALLY) LOVE IT. It makes the tank look a little more "natural" to me. They lay the eggs on the edges of things, they very very rarely lay the eggs in the middle of the glass, which would be easy to scrape off with a spatula or something. I have 4 nerites in a 10g tank.

You can see the trails of white round eggs in the edge of the glass and substrate in the picture of my tank below. On the bottom and left side.

lostraindrop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I love my zebra nerites. They are super fast, super efficient, but have never been able to get them to reproduce without putting them in a brackish tank. I think nerites differ among specie types for reproduction, cause even scientific articles say my type can't without brackish conditions too.

Never kept the olives or tiger variant.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
JeffHerr
Algae Grower

Default Suggested Algae Eaters...

Thai flying fox? Looks nice. Eats constantly. Friendly, at least in my tank, with other community fish.
JeffHerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.