Cycling with high phospates?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Cycling with high phospates?

I have a few questions about cycling a tank. My journal can be found here.

I have a 10g dirted (miracle grow organic) top with Flouramax.
HOB
powerhead for circulation
2 20w CFL 16" from substrate
pressurized CO2
I have it moderately planted now to abate some of the algae.

I wanted to leave the Ammonia and nitrite in to accelerate the development of bacteria. Sounds like a good idea, more food better growth. The water became quite stained, I understand it's a dirt tank, the nitrites off the scale as well as phosphates. The water smelled foul like a swamp pond. Changed 95% of the water.

Now it seems 2 days later I'm back to where I started. I had a growth of Rhizoclonium. I decided to do a 3 blackout and 1ml excel/day. I'm not sure why my phosphates are off the scale. My only thought is that it is the soil. I wonder if high phosphates are one of the reasons I have such bad brown algae.

I'm afraid I am going to have to change the water again. I did a 95% two days ago. The water is stained and smells like a pond. I'm at a loss at this point any ideas? Keep changing the water until phosphates are 2ppm? Below are charts for my water qualities. Remember I did a water change on 3/3/13. The initial Nitrate spike was KNO3 I added mistakenly rather than traces.

Last edited by Zorfox; 03-06-2013 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: clarification
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote