Compact Light made to be mounted on the side of the aquarium? Interesting...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
crayfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Compact Light made to be mounted on the side of the aquarium? Interesting...

I was scrolling through Ebay, and I found this '13 Watt Power Compact Light', the auction is actually titled "Power compact light 13 Nano reef Refugium sump Aquarium" if you want to look it up. I've seen Compact flourcent lights before, but non that hinged on the side of the tank like this. You can find the auction at: http://cgi.no ebay links allowedcom/Power-compact-li...QQcmdZViewItem

I've tried googling this but I don't even know what to call it other than a 13 watt compact light, as search on which just gives you regular compact lights.

As anyone seen or used these before? Are they safe? Are they any good? I can't tell if it has a glass plate covering the light or not. And what exactly is the best descriptive name for this style light fixture (so as to look it up on google )?

Another thing;how many lumens is a 13W pc bulb? Like 1000?

Thanks very much!
crayfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
random_alias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

The picture says Jebo on it so I assume it's a Jebo.

It looks like a cheap knockoff of the Azoo Galaxy light. The arm looks rather short and the housing and reflector are bowed which leads to the impression of cheap plastic.

That light is $21 shipped. Before purchasing that light from Ebay, take a look at this:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../3700/cid/1086

The Galaxy light is cheaper and appears to be of better quality than that Jebo.

I just ordered 4 more to go with the 3 I already had. The shipping for the 4 Galaxy lights was only 8.78.

This is how the galaxy lights look with the housing painted black and the reflector painted white:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ghlight=galaxy

You can search here and Google to find more info on Azoo Galaxy Lights if you are interested. Plenty of info.

Anyway, now you have two options to look at. Choice is good
Old 06-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
crayfish
Algae Grower

Thanks Random Alias. That light seems much better then the one found on no ebay links allowed

When I read your post I thought 'painted black', why would you paint it black... but then when I saw that page, it doesnt come in black - lol they have Megenta and purple but not black. That is strange. Anyways, I like your "Another little nano. " Where did you get that glass container?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Be advised that shining a light though the glass with water behind the glass leads to very good algae growth on the glass.

Also I love the misspellings on no ebay links allowed

Marco algae. I think it should be Macro algae. And most Macro algae needs more than 13 watts of light. I would place this squarely in the "Sucker" category.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
crayfish
Algae Grower

Me too, Rex. Some of the misspellings are hilarious. Its odd though, you think that they would want to put more effort into it considering they are trying to get you to buy from them. And considering they can change the words even after the auction is put up untill someone bids, so it isn't a typo -or maybe they just don't care?

"Be advised that shining a light though the glass with water behind the glass leads to very good algae growth on the glass." I'm not sure what you mean, Rex? Like if water gets under the glass thats on the lamp?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

No. If you shine a light though the side of your aquarium you will get great algae growth on the glass where the light is shining though.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 AM   #7
random_alias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Heh, Rex, I was thinking the same thing when I read the topic title. I was imagining some newfangled tube light that stuck to the outside of the tank like a heater or something and threw light in from the side.

Thank goodness no one is trying to sell that....yet. Or at least not to the mainstream market.

Maybe we should start making them and use white backgrounds to have Aqua-shadow-puppet competitions using carefully pruned plants.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
whitepine
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

It is quite common for a person to use a small lite like this on a fuge. You ussually leave it on opposite your normal light cycle and the macro algea will use nitrates along with other things. This of course is on a Saltwater tank!

I pull a packed ball of chaeto out of the fuge ever couple of weeks.

Middle green glowing area... and yes it grows algea and chaeto(hair wire algea) like mad!

Cheers, Whitepine
Eheim Pimp #104!

46 Gallon corner tank, 220 watt cf, custom canopy, co2 w/controller.
20 Gallon, 110 cf highlight tank, co2 w/controller.
18 high 24 watt cf, 36 watt ODNO ghetto paintball co2 setup.
60 Gallon river tank, .5 gallon nano tank, and 8 other tanks for fish and propagation.....
whitepine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.