Activated carbon removing all the good stuff????? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Actually AC is a pretty handy thing to have around. I agree that most obvious use is at startup to assist the immature biofilter, but I never hesitate to use if I see a situation starts to develop. As long as your dosing there is really no issue with plants. Carbon does not absorb the inorganic salts we dump in. It really depends on your setup and how stressed it is with it's organic load.
I agree. However the GAC does adsorb the chelated forms we use. Honestly though, we use far too much nutrients for a normal amount of GAC to make an appreciable impact. I think it's more of an acedemic debate than a vital aspect of aquarium keeping.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #17
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I keep carbon around but generally I use Purigen, especially when cycling the tank. Not only does it last much longer but it doesn't remove nutrients your plants need. However Purigen if I am not misunderstanding doesn't remove medications as well?
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I got turned on to this stuff while researching dirtless worm bedding material. It's essentially the same thing as the polyester many of the filters are made out of, and a darned sight cheaper if you buy the 2" thick stuff and simply split it down the middle with your hands. For $8 at Walmart you get a lot of material and it works really well for replacing inserts in HOBs etc.

http://www.fairfieldworld.com/produc...fied-polyester
Yes ,Walmart is where I buy the polyester.
Comes in 15 X17 inch X 2 inches thick square in craft dept.
I use it in ehiem 2217,Rena XP3,and aquaclear HOB filter's.
Need sharp,scissor's.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
guitarsrmine
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re;

Thanks everyone for your input....I didn't remember if I stated that my tanks are established, and I just recently got my *ss moving, cleaned them up, and re-planted both of them....heavily, soo I wanted to make sure about the whole"Carbon in the filter cartridge" issue....just wanted to make sure my money wasn't being wasted adding ferts if the carbon was sucking it all up.......
guitarsrmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I agree. However the GAC does adsorb the chelated forms we use. Honestly though, we use far too much nutrients for a normal amount of GAC to make an appreciable impact. I think it's more of an acedemic debate than a vital aspect of aquarium keeping.
Nicely said. I think that's an issue with many topics here. Something becomes an academic debate because it 'technically' could do something, meanwhile in the context of aquarium keeping the tank would benefit more by using it. I can post a boatload of plant pics that had carbon in the tank 24/7 and I bet you won't find any deficiences.
houseofcards is online now   Reply With Quote