the planted tank - Reef equivelent? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I love reef tanks, but they are money pits, and you are looking at a long time for establishment. Way more patience, and factors involved.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I have a 12g nano cube that i've certainly broken the 1k mark on in a little over a year.

I've probably spent as a little less on the 55 and 20g's that I have/had that were both co2, highlight tanks.

my 125 I'll probably spend a couple grand on because I'm purchasing more expensive equipment, led lights, aquarium controller, Waveline DC5000, etc etc.

I was going to do a reef tank w/ the 125, until I considered the costs would easily be in the 5-7k range to do it how i'd want it done.

at this rate I'm looking to start selling off the coral and fish and am hoping to at least make back half of what I have spent (my coral have grown really well, so i have some hope)

the reef tank looks amazing, but the money, the maintenance, and the lack of fish.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

+1 on planted tanks being "warmer". My wife HATES my reef tank for the sole reason that the lights are "too bright and cold looking. Feels like the living room is lit up by neon bar lights and is very stressful" lol. Back to maintenance. You can have a low maintenance reef, but the unfortunate part is maintenance seems to go hand in hand with cost. They have an indirect relationship. Less physical maintenance means more cost in automation gear. I personally like the spot feeding of corals and such. I spend probably about 1-2 hours a week total on my reef, which includes mixing up my dosings, making ROdi water, water changes and chemical media changes, and feeding.

Reef tanks actually do far better the less you mess with them. I notice a drastic improvement in my coral coloration the longer my hands keep from coming in contact with the water.

It's true though, if you're running a low tech dirted tank with a glass top, you can literally go weeks without doing so much as dropping fish food in. Tough to get away with THAT little maintenance on a reef. At the very least you have to worry about topoffs and emptying your skimmer cup
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I never did FW tanks always had salt but a planted tank really caught my eye think I was at my dentist, and I do not feel Marine tanks are anymore or less expensive, its just a different setup and can be just as easily done in hundreds of different setups, you can have just live sand and live rock, just live rock bare bottom, You can have fish only with a giant wet/dry filter setup, You can have soft corals stony corals tons of fish no fish little fish giant fish, the variations are way too numerous and only limited by your budget, and imagination. If I was to compare dollar to dollar, I spent more on this 100gallon planted than one of my reefs, now mind you I do not have super rare specimins of fish. The most expensive fish I have salt or fresh is my royal pleco.
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtanks View Post
I never did FW tanks always had salt but a planted tank really caught my eye think I was at my dentist, and I do not feel Marine tanks are anymore or less expensive, its just a different setup and can be just as easily done in hundreds of different setups, you can have just live sand and live rock, just live rock bare bottom, You can have fish only with a giant wet/dry filter setup, You can have soft corals stony corals tons of fish no fish little fish giant fish, the variations are way too numerous and only limited by your budget, and imagination. If I was to compare dollar to dollar, I spent more on this 100gallon planted than one of my reefs, now mind you I do not have super rare specimins of fish. The most expensive fish I have salt or fresh is my royal pleco.
ya, i find myself wondering if i would be happy with just some fauna and inverts in a tank.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #21
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
just looking at the various fauna that they have.. i think "frags" are what they are called? bits of coral and other living but non swimming stuff.
If they seem to expensive. Odds are your LFS has got some pretty baller s*** or they're over-priced. Online Vendors usually sell at better prices or if you have a local fish club (odds are you do) then that is the cheapest way to get stuff.
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

we did a SW tank for many years, live by the ocean, scuba and even collected some of our own rock and inhabitants. very much enjoyed it, but eventually the work load was more than we wanted to do.
recently after years we have decided to do a tank again but did not want the work or exspense of SW. I have managed to plant the FW tank we have now and stock it so colorfully and with such interest that most folks ask if it is salt water.
So if it is the "look" you are concerned about, don't be.